RL-33 First Blood

MMERSS

I was fortunate to assist two antelope hunters SE of Great Falls MT. I recently changed load on my 300 RUM using 97.5gr RL-33 with .005" jump. Average MV was 3171 with ES in the teens. First light I conducted drop chart validation followed by the antelope hunt not too far away.

The first hunter allowed me permission to post her picture. She made an amazing 983 yard shoot on this nice buck!:D Who says LR hunting is only for grown up men?

983 October 2013.JPG
Way to go MT LR Hunter!

Following are pictures of 230gr Berger Hybrid Target game damage. These pictures are for educational purpose only for others to consider using advertised target bullets for long range hunting.

Buck Entrance.jpg
Buck entrance hole 230 Berger Hybrid Target 983 yards

Buck Exit.jpg
Buck exit hole 230 Berger Hybrid Target 983 yards

Another hunter had a doe tag and was successful at 923 yards.
Doe Exit.jpg
Exit hole on doe shot at 923 yards with Berger 230 Hybrid Target

Take what you want from the pictures regarding terminal performance with Berger target bullets.

Nice story and pics. Thank you for posting. Looks like the bullets work just fine to me. Curious, I have 2 loads worked up for my 300 RUM using Retumbo and Re25. What differences, if any, did you find with the 25 v. the 33 if you tried them both?

Nice story and pics. Thank you for posting. Looks like the bullets work just fine to me. Curious, I have 2 loads worked up for my 300 RUM using Retumbo and Re25. What differences, if any, did you find with the 25 v. the 33 if you tried them both?

Derek M,

My previous load was with Retumbo. RL-33 provided a 170fps increase with same precision. Quite a noticeable difference. Only major difference is the seating depth with RL-33 close to the lands making my rifle a one shot version. Not a problem with shots like these.

I'm guessing impact velocity @ 2200 with KE of 2470.
Ya know, all you have to do is file down those points a little if you want a repeater :)

Impact velocity approximately 2155 and 2101 for the ranges, KE in the 2200s for each.

I thought about welding my magazine follower at a 30* angle for at least one round available for repeat!:D

Thanks everyone for the comments. There are a couple of happy hunters.

Roy, It is amazing what women hunters wear to the field. If they believe their clothing brings good luck no problem by me, as long as the outfit isn't a decoy!:D

I've included a video of a 1175 yard validation shot before the hunt to test the camera. The target is 1X2 MOA. Nothing special but nice to see the quick time of flight and impact on the center of the rock. In full view you can see the bullet path. This bullet is quick!.

[ame="http://youtu.be/lhXdmS_v8MI"]Validation Shot - YouTube[/ame]

The time of flight of anything with a decent bc and over 3100 or so MV is addictive.

It seems natural to know exactly when to expect the impact.

Gotta love that velocity!

Excellent shooting! And just the results I wanted to see from the 230gr targets I also am loading them in my 300 rum but with retumbo. Seeing the results is making me very anxious to try them on elk this year!! Hopefully I will be also posting my results on my elk, deer and if we see enough of them maybe ill tag a few wolves.:D

Thanks again for posting the results! You'll have to get them in the animals taken with Bergers thread!

Eric

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.