New rifle budget takes a hit, what to do?

Nimrod

I'm getting a new rifle (Sendero) and had planned to put a Jewel trigger and Badger rings/bases on it. My budget took a $400.00 hit when something unexpected came up so one or the other will have to wait. I already have the optic so should I go for a lower priced ring/base and keep the Jewel in the game or live with the factory trigger for a while.

One other option would be to go with a used rifle or different model, I want to stay with the Remington 700 platform though. If I stay with the new Sendero I will have about $350.00 total for mounts and/or trigger.

What would you do in my shoes?

Thanks!
Bob

Buy quality and only cry once. Get good mounts and rings now and wait and upgrade the trigger later.
Did you look at EGW one piece bases? They are quality pieces that shouldn't break the bank.

wait on the trigger. The beauty of Remington's is that you can upgrade them gradually. I waited on a trigger and found out that the factory wasn't that bad. It sucks buying mounts that aren't what you want.

Good used Jewell triggers come up all the time on sites and be had for a decent price. I've owned a Sendaro in .300 RUM and still own a 700 .300 RUM BDL, with the rings and bases I put on them I do not believe I suffered quality or performance. They are a heck of alot cheaper priced then Badger. An EGW will not let you down, nor will a good set of rings that are half the cost of Badger. There are plenty of good selections. My Tac rifle has a Ken Farrel base and Leupold QRW's on it, I'm rough on this thing, never had an issue to date.

I have mod 700s with both the Jewel and Timney triggers. The Timney adjustable trigger for under $150 works very well and I was able to install it myself. That should enable you to still afford the ring mounts you want. I never liked the factory "adjustable" trigger on my Sendero.

IIWY, save and stick to the original plan ... what you really wanted.

Good luck!

+1

You have the optic so mount it correctly once, the trigger is serviceable and can be tuned up so it's not 6 lbs so you can use the rifle just fine till you can purchase the Jewel!

Have you thought about a set of vortex pmr rings they are quite nice and would save you a little coin.

But the advice to buy once cry once on the base and trigger is sad but true :D

Search the classifieds for an old style Remington 700 trigger. They can be had for $50 shipped, and with a good smith, he can tune it like a well made fiddle.

EGW HD picatinny rails are awesome, I have 4 of them...Never a problem. They're about $70 from Midway USA.

TPS TSR aluminum rings are about $77 a pair, and every bit as good a wuality as Badger...Also have several pairs of these, as well.

That right there should save you a heap of money, and you will still love your setup.

If you want to progress with your project, I would get good rings and base and work with the factory trigger as best as you can. In my experience, shooting a factory trigger helps discipline me all the more in my trigger technique.

I am not not familiar with the new 700 triggers but I was able to adjust the older ones down to about a crisp 2 lbs and shot a lot of good groups with them in both 25-06 and 300 RUM Senderos.

If your current trigger really sucks, I have an older 700 SS takeoff trigger (not one of the ones I adjusted) that you can have for $10 to cover shipping.

I'm getting a new rifle (Sendero) and had planned to put a Jewel trigger and Badger rings/bases on it. My budget took a $400.00 hit when something unexpected came up so one or the other will have to wait. I already have the optic so should I go for a lower priced ring/base and keep the Jewel in the game or live with the factory trigger for a while.

One other option would be to go with a used rifle or different model, I want to stay with the Remington 700 platform though. If I stay with the new Sendero I will have about $350.00 total for mounts and/or trigger.

What would you do in my shoes?

Thanks!
Bob
Just do a good trigger job on the factory trigger and you will be fine. You don't have to be a master gunsmith to get it clean and crisp, in fact you dont' even have to disassemble it. Unless there's something really rough in it I've had great success just bathing the whole mechanism in lapping compound starting with 600 grit and working up and working the hell out of it. In a few hours you'd be amazed how it will smooth out.

That will save you a lot right there and you can concentrate then on optics and mounts. If you want to then upgrade to an aftermarket trigger when times are better that option will remain.

Search the classifieds for an old style Remington 700 trigger. They can be had for $50 shipped, and with a good smith, he can tune it like a well made fiddle.

EGW HD picatinny rails are awesome, I have 4 of them...Never a problem. They're about $70 from Midway USA.

TPS TSR aluminum rings are about $77 a pair, and every bit as good a wuality as Badger...Also have several pairs of these, as well.

That right there should save you a heap of money, and you will still love your setup.
Ditto on both. I have Mark 4 mounts and rings, badger rings, IOR Rings, and NF rails as well. The EGW Rails and TPS rings perform at least as well and of course Len both uses and sells the TPS rings through his store.

just for the sake of giving you options, you can also look at the shilen trigger. I have been using one now for a few months and like it better than the timmney's I have on other rifles. Also I have 3 sets of TPS rings and mounts on setups and have had zero issues with them and the cost is alittle less than others. good luck on your build!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.