What to do ?

Is the 700 trued up?
How's/what's the stock?
Any groups/different loads for it (proof it shoots well)?

Less on rifle allows more for glass, components, ammo, etc. in your budget
Given it's a Rem 700 I'd want proof it's a shooter also.

Stay away from Christensen arms, you can buy a proof rifle for the same price and they are way better.
The comparable Proof rifle to the CA Ridgeline, is the Elevation model. It retails for $3,195. I paid retail for my Ridgeline 6.5 PRC 2 years ago, at $1,599,00. The current MSRP of the Ridgeline is $2,099.00. Both guarantee SUB MOA accuracy, and that's all. The only real difference is the Proof is 7 oz. less weight, if that makes a difference.
I have shot Rem. 700 factory rifles hunting for most of 40 years now, very successfully, and many people love them, but it seems nobody talks about all the quality issues with them. There are reports of Proof barrels with issues to. Bottom line for me, I have an excellent Ridgeline that performs better than advertised, and I love it. If the OP wants to take a chance on a factory 700, they are available I think. I saw a new one for $1,100.00 the other day.

Please share where I can buy a Proof Rifle for $2k (or $1,300, since OP is interested in the Mesa also)
Sportsman's just had proof elevations in 6.5 prc on sale for $2500 a few weeks ago. The Christensen arms is a horrible rifle. Not going to argue with anyone about it, I am tired of it. They are junk

Given it's a Rem 700 I'd want proof it's a shooter also.
The same could be said about the Christensen not having issues. I would want proof that the chamber was correct and it not causing carbon rings in a rapid speed

Having read several posts lately about carbon rings prompted me to buy a boroscope. Yikes! The first two guns is giving me pause to think about my cleaning procedure. At the least, so far, its' interesting...
Carbon fiber Cleaning rod with the handle cut off with a good solution and a power drill will take care of it. I use a poly bore brush. Never had a problem

If the price is right, I'd probably go for the Remington. I'd keep trying to get ahold of the builder. If he was good at his kraft, and seeing he used a quality barrel and for himself, it's likely true and a shooter. Beyond this, round count may also be a deciding factor.
What do you think is a good price on the described 700 I've made an offer and the ball is in the consignes handed waiting on a counter offer

Not sure anyone can give you an educated price guess on the Rem 700 w/o knowing more concrete details. What scope is currently on it, how many rounds thru it, is it a "J" lock (ISS) gun, is it an RR pre-fix gun? Since a gunsmith owned it for his own personal use, I'm assuming it's blueprinted & well put together, to include properly bedded in a quality stock. But - again - we don't have many details on the gun. Aftermarket trigger on it? Probably more I haven't thought of but not sure it matters, you've made an offer. You picked out an amount you felt was right for the rifle. Now we'll wait to see what the counter offer is, if any. Good luck. I hope it all works out & the gun proves to be a "shooter" for you.

Last edited:
What do you think is a good price on the described 700 I've made an offer and the ball is in the consignes handed waiting on a counter offer
Agree with Frog4aday, too many unknowns to us.
For example I have a used Remington SPS I paid $600.00 for with a cheap scope and aftermarket muzzle brake installed. I've installed a rail, rings, scope, trigger, cheekpeice, Wyatt's box, and opened the ejection port. It's now, as is, worth significantly more, even though it's still a basic sps with a factory barrel. Decent shooter. What's it worth?

Those are the types of details people would need to know to make an educated guess. At the end of the day, each of us needs to know what that value is to us and that will always be somewhat subjective.

Recent Posts