New Rifle: What do you think about this?

The biggest issue for me is PRICE!! I forgot to add the fact that I live in Canada where for some reason we pay double for a rifle. I looked at a Senduro brand new at Wholesale Sports (cheapest place in Canada that I've found) and it was $1450. We had rifles go up 30%+ in the past year. I know what i would get if i had the doe, but i dont. If I had the money I would get a blueprinted remy action with an Adams Lake barrel (local) #4 fluted, a Manners stock, with a DE brake, and a HS DM chambered in a .338 edge. But I'm 21 and cant afford much for components not to mention labour. The XCR I just bought was $1169.95. thats the reallity of Canadians getting screwed out of fair prices. Not to mention the fact that getting anything firearms related across the border is fairly difficult, and for somethings impossible.

thanks for the imput and keep it coming, except now I have the .338 Rum XCR. Should I ream it out or leave it the a .33rum? I thought i would also mention that i thought the machining quality in it was brutal. I'm used to my old mark 5 and I can honestly say that this thing leaves me woundering if I shot myself in the foot by buying a Remington. Between the recoil lugs there is a machining mark that has left a flat spot on the bolt head and mad a bulge on the bolt face rim. I talked to Remingtons customer service and they said that thats normal. I took a look at my brother in laws bolt (300 rum SPS) and it had no signs of this. I tried his bolt in my gun and it was fine not to mention smoother. the Remington rep. said that they fit each bolt to each gun, so thats probably all that im looking at. Do I smell BS or am I just being to picky?

Angus - 5024, shoot the rifle first before you ream it. You might like the way the rifle shoots. I have one of this XCR in 300 WSM and I'm very disappointed. First to start with I could not install the one piece Leupold mount. The holes are not space the same as the holes on the mount. The deference between the second and third holes are like .018" and trust me, that is to much to start the screws. Then I install a 2 piece mount on it and a Leupold VXII scope to go with it and out to the range. Best I got 3.5" groups at 100 yards.

Funny because all I wanted is a reliable hunting rifle that can be safe to shoot out to 250-300 yards. Originally I was going to get the Tikka T3 SS 300 WSM, but during Christmas it sold out here in California. I could not find one so I decided to buy this XCR and boy I'm disappointed. I figured an additional 300 bucks and help the US Firearm makers, boy i shot my foot. I'm wondering if Remington is a Union shop.

I have some pictures loaded on my website, hopefully someone can tell if the carbon on the casing is normal. It only build up on one side of the neck. I do not think a 1.25 or even a 1.5 MOA is to much to ask for a $900 factory hunting rifle. So, shoot it first and you just might be happy to ream it out. I would with mine . www.gottrikes.com/XCR300WSM.htm

trikepedaler have you broke in your barrel and were you using factory or handloads as i have an xcr in .338 win mag that with factory i was shooting 2-3 moa groups and with my handloads i am geting sub moa the other thing is that you could just have a dud to mass produce some thing you are always going to have duds no matter what you do as to be able to mass produce some thing you can't run as tight of tolerances the custom guys so don't give up on remington so eazy

There are tons of 338 win mags in canada used at a fair price. One of those will do everything you want to do cheaply. Just shoot it before you buy to make sure it is a shooter. I shot a moose a few years ago at over a 1000 yards with a 338 winny and a caribou nearly 800 on the same hunt. Also you may find a 340 wby which is virtually the same as the 338 ultramag or 338-300 ultramag. They are all within a 100 fps or so of each other. To seperate yourself into a big time 338 you would need to step up to a 338-378 wby or a 338-416 imp.

My point is if you don't have a lot of money to play with spend it on good hunting trips and not on a rifle that really isn't going to make a lot of difference in your hunting. When you have the extra money to spend on a good long range rifle then step right to the top and get one that will spit the 300's at 3000-3100 fps and the 200's at 3600-3700 fps.

I think Kirby had some good points in there. Looking at what he said and the fact a remington (which is a very low end rifle) is $1450 to you, couldn't you get a smith in the US to build you a good rifle for somewhere close to the $1500 range.

I already had a .340 weatherby (mark 5), which I liked, but it was a blued model and I just wanted somthing that was a little easier to maintain on those long elk/goat hunts. As far as the getting it from the States, not even going to bother. When I have enough $$$ then I'll do something custom from south of the border. I wish i had the time (long story) to find a .340 in a mark 5 stainless, but those are few and far between.
So like i said i already got my hands on a .338 rum XCR. I just finished relieving the stock and glass bedding it along with arrow shafts epoxied into the forend. I'm gonna put a but hook in the stock and paint it. hopefully be done on the weekend. I'll post pics just for fun.

I really wish I could get a .338 Kahn or even an Allen Mag from Kirby, but its just not in the budget. I do have another 60ish years (Lord willing) to get the nice stuff. Till now, I just gotta go with the Remy for now.

You got a very nice rifle. I am confident it will do everything you need it to do in north america. I would feel very comfortable carrying that rifle anywhere to hunt with. You will be very pleased with it.

I cleaned the rifle before firing it and I cleaned the barrel with a bore snake after every shot for the first three. Then I fired five and clean again until I shot all my 20 round. I spent about three hours to shoot the 20 rounds. The barrel never got warm.

Reminton is sending me a shipping label to send the rifle back to factory. Hope they will find out the problem with the rifle. I will keep you updated.

trikepedaler you have only put 20 factory loads through your gun and are sending it back. i put 50 custom loads throu mine befor even rily going for accuracy. if you handload work up a load if not try several types of ammo befor sending it back as it could just be that that particular load was not right for your gun

I called Remington and they want me to send back the rifle. I do not mind shooting a few more brands and wight thru it but at $35 a box i do not want to waist to muck. I have some Winchester and Remington ammo on the way in a lighter weight. I do not reload. All i want to use this rifle is for hunting and unfortunately in California only the Barnes bullets are allowed so I will not shoot it to much once the rifle is sighted in. I still believe that 4 inch group is way to much for even an new barrel. I'm sending this rifle back because I'm a little worried about the carbon build up on the neck of the cartridge and also the screw holes on the rifle does not line up with the holes on the one piece scope base. My son is a cop and next time I'm going out to the range I will have him shoot it also. This way i can eliminate flinch from my part.

Does anyone knows exactly what is the distance between the second and third screw hole center on a Remington short action. Remington thinks that they drilled the receiver wrong. I measured some different SA Leupold one piece scope mount and I believe i came up with something like 3.646".

www.gottrikes.com/XCR300WSM.htm

the carbon build up you have posted on your site as far as i know is nothing to worry about i have seen several guns that leave similar build up

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.