New Remington 700's

Sounds like the same problem my brother in law had.He asked for a refund and they said they don't do that.
Still waiting.High end Savage rifles may be a different story,not sure.
Not necessarily. I had to return a new .308 Low Profile Varmint because it was blowing primers and extractor flew off bolt. 3 - 4 months later, with no word from Savage my lgs received a box and message saying "sn xxxxx warranty replacement for sn yyyyyy." Talk about the great communicator.
So still "You pays yer money and you takes yer chances"

I think he's claiming it came from the factory that way, but since it's a used rifle we don't know if it did. And we don't know the vintage, it could be a bankruptcy rifle. In any case if he's going to rebarrel it anyways no big deal. I'd reset the barrel and lug and shoot it. Then see how it performs. Comparing a $175 rifle to a $900 rifle seems,..... well lol.
I agree with you it has a Savage style barrel nut and also that is not a factory recoil lug IMO. It's prob a Remage build that maybe someone's first that did not align the recoil lug to receiver. If you are a gunsmith or an experienced or even semi experienced builder it's obvious.

Snuck another fast twist 223 home. For the price and how they feel relative to that price, looks like I'm back to buying factory guns.

Be interesting to see if they eventually expand the cartridge line up.

We in the gun world are so used to company's changing making things worse... it's kinda nice to see things improving. Between the ruger revamp and remarms resurrecting better than they were, I'm buying and enjoying off the shelf factory guns again.

Snuck another fast twist 223 home. For the price and how they feel relative to that price, looks like I'm back to buying factory guns.

Be interesting to see if they eventually expand the cartridge line up.

We in the gun world are so used to company's changing making things worse... it's kinda nice to see things improving. Between the ruger revamp and remarms resurrecting better than they were, I'm buying and enjoying off the shelf factory guns again.
I'll be interested on how it shoots. Please report back.

Pretty much a zoo on my end from the 26th until the crab season is over. Hopefully I get a chance to sneak away and do a redneck zero for some plinking, none of which will be useful or objective accuracy data. Will at least test its function and surface finish durability.
As far as surface finish, we coat them down with medicated vasoline and let them sit for a while. Friend of mine said it kept him awake hearing the rust flaking off of his at night.

We did salt spray testing on stainless steel after passivation on many parts in the aero business. It was brutal. If it was passivated correctly it was free from corrosion. Interesting to see what you find out.
Sounds like your rifle is on the boat?

It's "stainless " but that means different things to different companies. Month I a bunk on a fishing boat in winter will sort out how good new remington is doing.

Each brand has its own faults. Savage cast stainless bolt handles rust probably the worst, ruger action screws turn orange. Modern 1022s have electrolysis issues on the aluminum actions.

Just a guess the dbm will be the week link followed by the bolt body. No big issue, all can be addressed with coatings.

One I just brought home is specifically going to be a boat gun.

Recent Posts