New Remington 700's

Old Rooster

Anyone hearing anything?
While at a local LGS I saw a couple of new Remington 700's and asked the salesman if he was hearing any good things about them
He said they are better than the last several years of 700's as Remington had money problems so they were running older worn out machines for so long and now they are running new better machines and putting out better rifles.
That may be sales talk so what have you folks heard?

I bought one about a year ago (rar serial numberprefix-- its not a timney trigger --- they just started the timney so you'll have to verify which trigger you are getting as I'm sure the Xmarks will still be out there fir a while.

One thing I can tell you is that the feed ramp is slightly notched on my sa 308 so I can actually load longer than the past rem 700s-- I put mine in a chassis and I can use the aics with no binder plate if I want to

I'd say right now that accuracy is average--- I've only shot a bit throught it and haven't started specifically reloading for accuracy yet-- it's about 1 moa gun with handloads I have for my AR so hopefully I can get ot down to the 3/4 moa range one I start playing with reloads for it.

I haven't run Into any real qc issues on it either. Nothing about it really stands out as overly impressive, nor does anything stand out as poor quality--- it's fairly average across the board-- I bought the hogue/tactical/16" threaded 308 model for just under $700.

I have seen online retailers selling adl models for in the mid 400 to 500 range so prices are comming down a bit --- not as low as the $300 wally world adl's from 10 years ago- but im sure we won't see 700s that low again ( plus that was 10 years ago)

Last edited:
xsn10s I too worked the bolt and it was smooth and zero play,solid lock up,recessed crown.A cdl had a smaller sized barrel but still smooth.

Thanks cohunt,I was just looking and wondering as I have heard of poor workmanship on some 700's when remington was still in business.Since they are out whoever is taking over wants to re-build on the remington name and establish accuracy as their number 1 priority the salesman said.
I hope it's true.

Needless to say, not the old " Big Green ", but it would be good to have quality firearms labelled " Remington " back on the American shooting scene. Especially for us older folks, just doesn`t seem right for there not to be. I`ve heard/read encouraging things about the new 700s and the new Fieldmaster 870 pumps. I hope the shooting/hunting public will give them a chance. Some positive first hand reviews will be helpful.

Last edited:
I bought one about a year ago (rar serial numberprefix-- its not a timney trigger --- they just started the timney so you'll have to verify which trigger you are getting as I'm sure the Xmarks will still be out there fir a while.

One thing I can tell you is that the feed ramp is slightly notched on my sa 308 so I can actually load longer than the past rem 700s-- I put mine in a chassis and I can use the aics with no binder plate if I want to
That's some interesting information, thanks. That and some of the new barrel twists suggests RemArms are trying to measure up to the new industry standards/ innovations.

That's some interesting information, thanks. That and some of the new barrel twists suggests RemArms are trying to measure up to the new industry standards/ innovations.
You can see in these 2 pics-- the stainless model is an older 700 mountain 30-06, you can see the straight cut at the front of the mag/rear of the feed ramp from the top feed...
20230721_080615.jpg
20230721_080426.jpg
...the blued model is the new rar 700 from the bottom--- you can see the "notched feed ramp" so it's possible to load longer

You can see in these 2 pics-- the stainless model is an older 700 mountain 30-06, you can see the straight cut at the front of the mag/rear of the feed ramp from the top feed...View attachment 479692View attachment 479693...the blued model is the new rar 700 from the bottom--- you can see the "notched feed ramp" so it's possible to load longer
You read my mind lol. Thanks for the pics!