New Remington 700?!?!

I have had a number of 700's and found them all accurate and reliable. Most needed tweaking for best accuracy. Float the barrel, tune the trigger, and glass bed the recoil lug and tang. On older rifles the stock has a tendency to become compressed around the stock screws and glass bedding helps along with a washer between the floor plate and stock. If the accuracy is fading and you think it's the barrel check the throat to see if it is getting wore out. Sometimes just setting the barrel set back a half or three quarters of an inch and recutting the chamber and throat will solve the problem. Also, check the crown. Any kind of anomaly at the muzzle end can mess with the accuracy. Personally, I have found over the years that I have regretted making obvious major alterations to sentimental favourites unless they have become so dysfunctional as to be virtually useless.

I'll add to the pile, rebarrel and enjoy Dad's rifle.

I was recently enjoying my favorite rifle (243AI) and also helping my young son (6) practice with his .22. I decided that when the time is right, I want to gift him my 243AI as his rifle so I can watch him enjoy it like I have. The 243AI is a hot round and no doubt I'll go through 2-3 more barrels before he is old enough to receive the rifle. I fully expect he will need to rebarrel it, and I don't hold that as any issue. That's just the nature of many high performance centerfire rifles. The history is in the "gun", not the exact configuration...

I have Ruger 10/22 which is the first firearm I bought with my own money. As my oldest daughter out-grew her Savage Rascal and passed it down to her younger sister, she told me she wanted a red gun (Savage was pink). So I bought a Boyds stock in red, dropped my beloved 10/22 inton it, and gave it to her. She is happy shooting "dad's gun" and I am proud to have her shoot it, even if a few of the parts are different.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.