New Remington 700 XCR II Patterning Problem

I just went thru the same thing with a new Remington 700 SF Varmint in 308, it shot 2 inch groups or larger with factory match ammo. I ordered a new Bell and Carlson from Stockys and it now shoots 1/2 inch groups with Hornady 168 match. I cant believe the difference, also cant believe Remington puts that cheap of a stock on anything.

I just went thru the same thing with a new Remington 700 SF Varmint in 308, it shot 2 inch groups or larger with factory match ammo. I ordered a new Bell and Carlson from Stockys and it now shoots 1/2 inch groups with Hornady 168 match. I cant believe the difference, also cant believe Remington puts that cheap of a stock on anything.

Pretty much all your basic cheap factory synthetic stocks are that way, from every brand on the market. Unless you get a specialty model rifle that comes with an HS Precision (Sendero, 5r Milspec, PSS, LTR) or B&C Medalist (700 Long Range) stock from the factory.

I am certain that many here have messed with a Remington "Tupperware" stock at one time or another. They will shoot if all things are correct.

Fearnowind has it right, open up that barrel channel! I just took a friend's 30-06 Rem in an older tupperware stock. I switched barrels because the '06 was heavily pitted. The rem takeoff I installed was larger diameter so I took out quite a bit of channel material. In addition I noticed the blind magazine box was rubbing on the stainless (alum?) captive nut that the tiny front triggerguard screw goes into. I ground off some of the mag box for more clearance. The rifle shot nice round 1/2" clusters.

I prefer to change out these stocks and a great one for the money is the Alaskan Wilderness stock made by Bell and Carlson. I have simply placed a rifle in one and tightened action screws for it to shoot wonderfully. Have done this three times.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/bell-...ock-right-left-hand-available-new-models.html

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.