Rem xcr II or Win Extreme

Onesock

Looking at getting a new rifle and have it narrowed down to one of these. I know the new Rem have some issues. What's the general feeling around here?

I've got a Winchester Extreme Weather short action, but had it re barreled with a pacnor 24" ultralight chambered for a 338-300wsm. I also have two friends who bought extreme weather winchesters, one in 300wsm and the other in 338 win mag. I have done load development for all three of these rifles.

I love the bell and carlson stock. The action on all 3 of the rifles is very smooth. Overall I was happy with the fit and finish on all of the rifles. They are sharp looking guns. The "MOA" winchester trigger is hit or miss. The trigger on my rifle is surprisingly crisp and breaks at 2.75 lbs with the adjustment screw at it's lowest setting (actually, removed). My buddy's 300wsm trigger is just awful with creep. The 338 win mag trigger is good, but not quite as good as the trigger on my rifle. I would dry fire any extreme weather to test out the trigger before you buy one to make sure the trigger is not filled with creep.

My 338wsm shoots 1/2 moa with the pac-nor barrel. My buddy's 338 win mag took quite a bit of effort to achieve 1moa with handloads and a lot of seating depth tests to get that just right. The other guys 300wsm never got much better than 1.5moa with hand loads, but the short action mag box prevented seating the bullets up close to the lands, so that was a limited effort, and the owner of that rifle can't shoot a rifle better than 2moa on a good day. so he was happy to see me shoot it to 1.5moa.

I would assume that unless you get lucky, you'll top out at 1moa for accuracy with the extreme weather. If you're happy with that then it's a great gun.

I would look at the Remington long range (very similar to older style sendero), Remington sendero sfII, Remington 5r, savage long range, savage fcp HS precision over the xcrII. They all have very nice stocks for the money. The Hogue stocks used to be somewhat flimsy. I am not sure if that has changed or not on the xcrII. I cannot comment on the win extreme.

All of the rifles I listed easily get to 1MOA with hand loads (Although every brand will have a lemon out there). id say the the Remington long range or the savage long range are best bang for the buck.

I have a Rem 700 XCR II in 300 WM. It is very accurate provided that the stock and trigger will be replaced by somthing custom ones.
I put hogue stock with aluminium block and Jewell trigger.
With nightforce optic, base and rings it shoots submoa at 100 m by factory ammo.

I have a Rem 700 XCR II in 300 WM. It is very accurate provided that the stock and trigger will be replaced by somthing custom ones.

I was going to mention that with the XCR, you would probably have to do this. Knowing that, I would second what Bigeclipse said. Either that or go with an SPS model and replace the stock and trigger. You would have a very solid gun and you would still have spent less than the XCR.

Looking at getting a new rifle and have it narrowed down to one of these. I know the new Rem have some issues. What's the general feeling around here?
I have the extreme weather in a 300wm.

I was initially disappointed because I expected the barrel to be closer to a Sendero weight but it's a real shooter and about 3lbs lighter than my Senderos so my disappointment quickly faded.

The stock on the EW is vastly superior to the plastic piece of crap that comes with the XRC and I really like the adjustability of the MOA trigger.

Word of advice, use a lighter to soften the glue before attempting to adjust it. I don't' know what hey use but it's like some sort of hot glue.

How well does it shoot? I have a half dozen one shot kills at over 400yds shooting free hand from a standing position with it with nothing but a tree to rest on for several of those shots and my left arm and shoulder look like a box of tinker toys under XRay and have have limited strength, mobility, range of motion and control of it and with it being my support arm that should tell you a lot.

The price list I got from Montana rifle company says they run at $1230. Looks like a really nice rifle

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.