New Remington 700's

Just got my new Remington 700 Long Range in 300 Win Mag. Yes, it has an HS Precision Stock and yes, it has a factory Timney Trigger. But here's the rub, the trigger is NON-adjustable. It's factory set at 3-4 pounds and that's it. Why put a Timney trigger in the rifle if it can't be adjusted? Now I still have to go and buy a trigger that I can set at about 2.5 pounds.
I feel like Remington stuck it to me by hiding the fact that the trigger is non-adjustable. Yes, I should have done more deeper digging into the fine print. But I never even considered that they would make a big show about all factory 700's coming with Timney Triggers and then make the darn thing non-adjustable. Just another way to save a couple of dollars I suppose.

Just got my new Remington 700 Long Range in 300 Win Mag. Yes, it has an HS Precision Stock and yes, it has a factory Timney Trigger. But here's the rub, the trigger is NON-adjustable. It's factory set at 3-4 pounds and that's it. Why put a Timney trigger in the rifle if it can't be adjusted? Now I still have to go and buy a trigger that I can set at about 2.5 pounds.
I feel like Remington stuck it to me by hiding the fact that the trigger is non-adjustable. Yes, I should have done more deeper digging into the fine print. But I never even considered that they would make a big show about all factory 700's coming with Timney Triggers and then make the darn thing non-adjustable. Just another way to save a couple of dollars I suppose.
I agree with you that it should be adjustable. But I think they are concerned with liability given their last trigger debacle and probably felt the best way to minimize liability was to use a reputable maker but make it nonadjustable.

I guess they need to offer an option of getting them with no trigger and let the customer decide what they want. I had to change mine out right off the bat. Mine had the externally adjustable trigger and it only got down to 4.5-5 lbs with the adjustment screw completely removed. Very happy with the Trigger Tech I installed.
I also have several others with the infamous Walker triggers and they have been great.

I guess they need to offer an option of getting them with no trigger and let the customer decide what they want. I had to change mine out right off the bat. Mine had the externally adjustable trigger and it only got down to 4.5-5 lbs with the adjustment screw completely removed. Very happy with the Trigger Tech I installed.
I also have several others with the infamous Walker triggers and they have been great.
I recently purchased a 700 in 30.06 the trigger was not great. Another member suggested I purchase a new trigger spring from eriniethegunsmith.com. I did and followed his instructions. Now I have a good hunting trigger. For less than 10 bucks it was worth it.

I should have clarified mine had the externally adjustable X mark trigger.

It's pretty well advertised that the Timney Impact trigger on the new 700's are non adjustable. I've mentioned it on this forum several, if not many times. Though I do like a lighter trigger pull I still shoot sub .5 moa out to distance with the stock trigger. mine is 3 lbs 12 ounces.

1704467156728.png

Yea, it's totally on me. I just read what I wanted to hear! I just assumed all Timneys were adjustable. I assumed!
Well in the end you came out ahead. To get an adjustable Timney from Remington you'd have to get the Alpha1. About $700 more than you paid. BTW you're not the only one that read what they wanted to see. ;)

How are the stocks. Before the Bankruptcy that x mark and the synthetic stocks were basically throwaway items. I sure hope they can put a decent product together again.
i HAVE A 700 PAC that seem to be find, It's not wood, but should work. It suppost to be bedded from manufacture, but we'll see.

A neighbor said his son bought a 700 in 30-06,has the synthetic stock.He wanted his dad to bed the recoil lug for him so he could go and shoot it.He told his son that we need to clean it with mineral spirits and rough it up with the dremel and then bed it but his son said,no time dad just bed the recoil lug and that will be just fine.2 days later the son brought the rifle back to dad and they took it apart and the devcon came out in a solid piece,did not stick to the stock at all.My advice was to rough it up and clean it read good with mineral spirits and let it sit for a day before re- bedding it.That was before our season in mid October and it's still holding so far.
Edit to add:The rifle is bedded and shoots very well they said,did not give details but very happy with the new Remington 700 30-06

Last edited:
Those stocks feel pretty solid when attached to the rifle but take it apart and they flex pretty bad. The fore end flexes and they also have the bumps putting upward pressure on the barrel. Shooting off a bench, you have to be sure to have the fore end resting in the same place each time to avoid stringing shots. Grinding the bumps out makes the fore end flex all over the place.

Those stocks feel pretty solid when attached to the rifle but take it apart and they flex pretty bad. The fore end flexes and they also have the bumps putting upward pressure on the barrel. Shooting off a bench, you have to be sure to have the fore end resting in the same place each time to avoid stringing shots. Grinding the bumps out makes the fore end flex all over the place.
I agree!That's why I bought a Grayboe Outlander fiberglass stock for mine.I want to make sure it shoots well before I put it in the new stock.
Weather turned crappy and a few health problems has kept me from shooting the rifle so far.Remington wants you to shoot factory ammo at first so I need to get some factory ammo also.I will shoot it one day soon and give a report on accuracy in the factory stock.
Edit to add:I did clean the rifle and so glad I did!Took close to an hour to get all the crud out of the barrel.
To all that get any new rifle,CLEAN it before shooting it!It will need it.

I agree!That's why I bought a Grayboe Outlander fiberglass stock for mine.I want to make sure it shoots well before I put it in the new stock.
Weather turned crappy and a few health problems has kept me from shooting the rifle so far.Remington wants you to shoot factory ammo at first so I need to get some factory ammo also.I will shoot it one day soon and give a report on accuracy in the factory stock.
Edit to add:I did clean the rifle and so glad I did!Took close to an hour to get all the crud out of the barrel.
To all that get any new rifle,CLEAN it before shooting it!It will need it.
Mine was full of crap also. I never shoot a new firearm of any manufacture of any type without cleaning it first.