New deer rifle for indiana

okie man

For those that don't know, Indiana has been a shotgun/ muzzleloader only state for deer firearms season. This year hunters can use center fire rifles on private land but are limited to 5 calibers . 243, 30/30, 308, 30/06 and 300 mag! It doesn't state which 300 mag though! I'm bummed because I still can't use my beloved 257 weatherby! I'm looking to add another gun to the collection and I can't figure out what to get.i have a 243, not my first choice for our large deer at the ranges I could expect to shoot! Never had a 308, had a couple 06's , never a 300 mag but have thought of getting a , !300 short mag a few times, never thought about a 300 win or weatherby mag because of recoil! What are your guys thoughts? Shots could be as far as a 1000 yards but I would try to keep them under 500!

For those that don't know, Indiana has been a shotgun/ muzzleloader only state for deer firearms season. This year hunters can use center fire rifles on private land but are limited to 5 calibers . 243, 30/30, 308, 30/06 and 300 mag! It doesn't state which 300 mag though! I'm bummed because I still can't use my beloved 257 weatherby! I'm looking to add another gun to the collection and I can't figure out what to get.i have a 243, not my first choice for our large deer at the ranges I could expect to shoot! Never had a 308, had a couple 06's , never a 300 mag but have thought of getting a , !300 short mag a few times, never thought about a 300 win or weatherby mag because of recoil! What are your guys thoughts? Shots could be as far as a 1000 yards but I would try to keep them under 500!

Their wording for the new law is poor.

I'm sure any 30 cal or 243 cal/6mm is legal on private land.
My vote is 300 win mag then 300wsm ,for does a 6AI or 243 win.

If your shots are going to be 500 yards or less go with the 30/06. Out to a 1000 yards the 300 WM or 300 WSM.

In a state where you'll be lucky to see a 300 yard shot, and knowing the average white tail buck is in the 240lb. area ( we see the rare 300lb. buck here and there); why you need a magnum anything is plain stupid! A plain jane .308 is all you need. When you think 257 mag; remember your gonna pay for the neighbor's prize steer!

In Indiana, the best round for white tail deer is the .444 Marlin. You hit him, and he stays put. Good enough for 250 yards without getting fancy, and with the new pointed bullets your looking at 300 yards. Even the .338 Marlin would be great. By the way the same holds true for the 30-30.

gary

I have a 444, not legal for deer! I'm hunting big farm ground and long shots will be common place! I switched from a 223 to 243 for coyotes because of the distances and wind!

I have a 444, not legal for deer! I'm hunting big farm ground and long shots will be common place! I switched from a 223 to 243 for coyotes because of the distances and wind!

Yes I believe even under the old law (1.8" case lenth) would rule 444 a 'no go'.

Im still going to use my 358 Grant on public land.

Attachments

• 20160118_093610-1.jpg
    20160118_093610-1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 99
300 WM with a brake. Shoot 215 Bergers and you are good for deer beyond 1000 yds. My 300 WM with a Holland brake is a pleasure to shoot.

If there was ever a group of people that need fired from their job immediately if not sooner it's the geniuses that wrote this rule...they are by far the most incompetent workers I've ever heard of...I' m still scratching my head since I first heard this...there is no logical thought or idea that I know of that could be used...none !!

They don't even know that caliber is not cartridge, stunning show of complete incompetence... Amazing !!

If there was ever a group of people that need fired from their job immediately if not sooner it's the geniuses that wrote this rule...they are by far the most incompetent workers I've ever heard of...I' m still scratching my head since I first heard this...there is no logical thought or idea that I know of that could be used...none !!

IN my option they are still looking at limiting long range trajectories as a safety margin.

If you look at a general line up of bullets in each caliber and weight the BC of 30 cal and 243 cal is GENERALLY inferior to 6.5, 7, and 338 caliber.

They've had so much pressure to open up hunting restrictions that at least they are beginning to try loosen restrictions.

As long as the .300 mags are permitted there is no limit involved...they either are or close to the finest long range cartridges ever made....complete incompetence... 100% stunning !!!

All they had to do if they were worried about bullest flying to far on flat ground was look to Ohio...straight walled cases would have solved the problem..

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.