New deer rifle for indiana

Sounds to me like Indiana needs to do what they did in Northampton County NC if people are worried about bullets going too far. They made the law that you had to be a minimum of 8 feet off the ground to deer hunt with a rifle. That way your angle is always downward in the flat lands. Most shooting stands are higher than 8 ft off the ground and that makes thing even more safer. If you miss the bullet does not go very far until it hits the ground.

I'm lucky, I work in the ag industry and meet a lot of farmers and land owners! Indiana is a sleeper state as far as big bucks go! Kentucky grows some giants too! I've hunted Kansas , Missouri , Oklahoma and that Indiana buck out weighed all the other deer I've killed and I've killed some nice deer!

Ok

Sorry Phil, I ment Corey.

Model 12 FV. It was the Cabela's special model, plus $100 rebate at the time. Couldn't pass it up! Might be getting a new stock soon though. I knew going in I probably wouldn't like the factory synthetic stock they come with.

Going to shoot the 168gr Classic Hunters out of it for now

Model 12 FV. It was the Cabela's special model, plus $100 rebate at the time. Couldn't pass it up! Might be getting a new stock soon though. I knew going in I probably wouldn't like the factory synthetic stock they come with.

Going to shoot the 168gr Classic Hunters out of it for now

Yep, I looked at one. I don't believe it has an Accustock. If'n I were you I'd look at an HS precision .
Also, if you cant find Varget give IMR4064 a try.

Attachments

• 20150606_160948-1.jpg
    20150606_160948-1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 51
I'm lucky, I work in the ag industry and meet a lot of farmers and land owners! Indiana is a sleeper state as far as big bucks go! Kentucky grows some giants too! I've hunted Kansas , Missouri , Oklahoma and that Indiana buck out weighed all the other deer I've killed and I've killed some nice deer!

you want a big white tail buck (350lb.)? Head north to the U.P. in Michigan! 300lb. bucks are common, but the racks are bigger in Indiana. Seen a lot of big bucks in Iowa and Ohio as well
glt

Here's a different technique on a Accustock on a 358 Grant, high relief textured with over spray Rustoeum clear matte. Its holding up very well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160620-173007.jpg
    Screenshot_20160620-173007.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 36
Please do more research on terminal ballistics and terminal energy before you attempt a long shot that will injure a deer. Please !!!
I'm guessing this thinking is part of the reason why Indiana stoped high power rifles in the first place.

Tbrice,

Don't worry, our farm keeps our shots around 350 yards max. I'm just amazed that guys think the .243 is too small for an Indiana whitetail.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.