New deer rifle for indiana

I scratched my head pretty hard a few times as they were talking about, writing and passing the new hunting regs. When the dust settled, I went the boring route and picked up a Savage model 12 in .308. I already have some other .308 stuff so it made sense and on our property, about 200-250 yards will be the absolute longest shots there are, most within 150 or less.

I scratched my head pretty hard a few times as they were talking about, writing and passing the new hunting regs. When the dust settled, I went the boring route and picked up a Savage model 12 in .308. I already have some other .308 stuff so it made sense and on our property, about 200-250 yards will be the absolute longest shots there are, most within 150 or less.

You made a fine choice in rifles .Thumbs up gun)

Are you going to be shooting Barnes 130 gr ttsx ??

Just kidding. 185 gr vldh would be a good choice.

Hey Phil,
Did you get a 12 BVSS, 12 McMillan, or 12 HS Precision?

They have a 12 BR, 12 Palma, or 12 F-class they're single shot so I'm sure it isn't one of those.

Wow X2. I guess my son and I will just use our little .243's and kill our big Midwestern IN bucks this year. I guess if guys can kill elk at 900 yards with a .243.....

Wow X2. I guess my son and I will just use our little .243's and kill our big Midwestern IN bucks this year. I guess if guys can kill elk at 900 yards with a .243.....

Please do more research on terminal ballistics and terminal energy before you attempt a long shot that will injure a deer. Please !!!
I'm guessing this thinking is part of the reason why Indiana stoped high power rifles in the first place.

You should be able to hit this vital zone EVERY time from any distance from a FIELD/HUNTING position (not from a bench rest unless you are going to be hunting from a bench rest) in any wind condition for a clean ethical kill.
Or you shouldn't make the shot. Ever.

To figure out how much terminal energy is sufficient to make an ethical kill you need to know your Chronographed velocity and enter the info into a ballistics program (JBM) .

Some feel 1100 to 1200 f/lb of energy is sufficient. Others say 1000 ft/lb.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160618-064556.jpg
    Screenshot_20160618-064556.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
The north/centeral part of Indiana I'm familar with is quit flat and many farm houses not more than a mile apart, many closer. The old rule, "know the distance to your target and what is beyond", comes to mind. People, cattle, other livestock, and property come before that big rack on the wall. Seems this could have been better thought out. 500yds. might as well be a mile to most hunters. That area lacks "the wide open spaces".

I have property in TN where I do the majority of my hunting but I live on Indiana.
Folks up here haven't hunted with anything else than muzzle loaders or pistol cartridges for probobly over 2 decades.
I might just not buy an Indiana license this year till folks get their ears wet.
Guys out west and down south grew up with rifles in their hands, I just hope that there's not a lot of accidents this next season.

The properties I hunt are very big and remote! I hunt them for both coyotes and deer! It's not uncommon for me to shoot coyotes at 400 plus yards ! I could shoot over a half mile if I wanted to! The buck I shot 2 years ago weighed 250 lbs dressed! I have no desire to take a long shot at a deer of this size or bigger at long range with my 243!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 82
Thats a good buck.
You are lucky to hunt remote areas, I wish I had that opportunity up here.
I'm sure I'm over reacting. I live in north west Indiana, not so many remote areas up here unfortunately .

Got this one last year on public land.

Attachments

• 20160430_180452.jpg
    20160430_180452.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 55
  • 20151114_080307.jpg
    20151114_080307.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 62
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.