600 yd rifle for Elk & Deer

Hi, just responding again about people and companies that do custom load development work. I typed "custom load development for ammunition" into Bing and a lot of listings show up.

There is real value in re-loading your own. At the same time, it never hurts to get professional help. We hire gunsmiths to help make our rifles shoot better, why not an ammo smith?
Sounds like the best feakin job I have ever heard of..
To be a custom load developer for people, that's right at the top with HR for a strip club . In my list of dream jobs..

Sounds like the best feakin job I have ever heard of..
To be a custom load developer for people, that's right at the top with HR for a strip club . In my list of dream jobs..
Don't laugh this guy has been doing it for longer then anybody I've known other then Sam at Trophy Ammo but I wouldn't send anyone to Sam for various reasons.

Superior Ammunition Larry Barnett 20788 Mossy Oak Place Sturgis, SD 57785. Phone: 800.67.SUPER Welcome to Superior Ammunition. or [email protected]

etisll40: I've known Larry for a very long time, good guy to work with. He actually did all the load development work for the 30-378/338-378 for the Weatherby factory ammo line. I don't think his sample packs are worth the money when you could just send him your rifle and he'll do all the work for someone not interested in loading their own ammo.

Larry will tune the gun to whatever bullet or game animal you're after, he'll even do two loads for you if that's what you'd want. Give him a call and talk it over, he's been doing this for at least 25 years as far as I know?

Don't laugh this guy has been doing it for longer then anybody I've known other then Sam at Trophy Ammo but I wouldn't send anyone to Sam for various reasons.

Superior Ammunition Larry Barnett 20788 Mossy Oak Place Sturgis, SD 57785. Phone: 800.67.SUPER Welcome to Superior Ammunition. or [email protected]

etisll40: I've known Larry for a very long time, good guy to work with. He actually did all the load development work for the 30-378/338-378 for the Weatherby factory ammo line. I don't think his sample packs are worth the money when you could just send him your rifle and he'll do all the work for someone not interested in loading their own ammo.

Larry will tune the gun to whatever bullet or game animal you're after, he'll even do two loads for you if that's what you'd want. Give him a call and talk it over, he's been doing this for at least 25 years as far as I know?

I love the idea, I would get to shoot rifles and load ammo, two of my favorite things to do. I honestly might check into this as a part time gig. I just have to check into liability and getting a ffl. I bet a pressure testing system would ease a lot of worries..

I am backkkkkk.Had the 7mm out and looking at it and thinking.What premium ammo would be a good choice to try to see how good it shoots with a better optic ? Now jumping up from a couple of hundred dollar scope to the $500 range,what would be a good choice ? Also when you get into the $500-800 range of scopes,what do the over $1k scopes do better ? Not trying to be sarcastic or anything but I have never spent over $200 for a scope,but I know I will have to with the shotting I hope to do down the road.Thank you,Ed
Ed, in all seriousness, you get what you pay for in the cost of a scope, what you spend now will more then likely prevent you from having to replace it later down the road. If you can afford a Leupold MK4, Nightforce, Kahles, Bushnell tactical, Vortex Viper, or the Razor. Pick one with a good mil-dot reticle and you'll do fine with it for years to come.

You don't need a lot of power for 600 yards, any 10x-16x will be more then enough, a large field of view will serve you better for hunting in the field when game might need to be shot at close range so don't get too carried away be magnification 2.5-10/3.5-10/3.5-15/4-16 is more then enough.

Here's a link to a rifle that's FS that makes a good starting point for a factory rifle. It has a 40X trigger, (best thing Remington ever put on a gun), a H&S Precision Stock which is sound for a platform and can even be improved upon with a bedding job, and in a caliber that has the proper barrel length, 26". All for a good price and I know they don't make these anymore either.

Nosler Reloading Forum • View topic - Remington Police Sniper .300 Win Mag

I don't know Vince but I do know he's never given me a reason not to want to do business with him..... for whatever that's worth, but is a good rifle to work from as is and might be worth taking a look at?

The reloading part just takes a little research, and experience through testing what works and what doesn't? In the end you'll have the setup to quickly work through a load development and never again be stuck with factory fodder that's not tuned to the gun you're using. As well as the cost savings not have a bunch of boxes with 15 rounds in them and wondering what to do with them?

Best of luck to you Ed and hopefully you'll be making those 600 yard shots with boring regularity soon enough?

Last edited:
.17 HMR with a 4x tasco pronghorn that was built in the early 90's.

Wait, that's my squirrel rifle. You can't go wrong with a Weatherby synthetic in .308 topped by something like a Vortex diamondback.

Al good stuff guys, I have reloading equipment and such. I guess my biggest issue is that I don't have a range to test longer than 2-300 yards, and I wonder about actual performance sometimes, especially with scope adjustments and such out deep. I'll eventually get to a set up and then feel like I have both the accuracy and load correct. It might come in handy if there was a source for such. Most people doing this probably have the range to test, that's all really. Most of my rifles seem quite accurate at the 200 yard mark, I'd guess I could take the chance on a long range hunt but I haven't yet. I see 2015 as a chance for me and I do know a range down in PA that goes to a mile. I think it does the Williamsport matches? That may be the ticket for me. I just bought a van that I am thinking about setting up to go on the road with my equipment. Then I'll know I guess.

This is an awesome place, I've been out of the mix for about a year, still hunting, got a nice buck 2 weeks ago and more season left here, but 200 is about all I have, it's a heavily wooded mountain property I own. Maybe I need to cut some Timber?! Anyone need some hardwoods for building or firewood? I git 78 acres of it.

I bought a custom muzzleloader that can shoot out over 500 yards, even that, I'm going to take my crossbow during that season coming up. lol

For what you want to do that would be a great platform. Get a nice Mcmillan Stock and nice aftermarket trigger and see what is does. Worse case if you don't like the way it shoots. By a nice Krieger or other barrel and have a really good smith install it. I say since you have the action build from that. My semi customs all shoot better than I can. Lol.....

Ed, in all seriousness, you get what you pay for in the cost of a scope, what you spend now will more then likely prevent you from having to replace it later down the road. If you can afford a Leupold MK4, Nightforce, Kahles, Bushnell tactical, Vortex Viper, or the Razor. Pick one with a good mil-dot reticle and you'll do fine with it for years to come.

You don't need a lot of power for 600 yards, any 10x-16x will be more then enough, a large field of view will serve you better for hunting in the field when game might need to be shot at close range so don't get too carried away be magnification 2.5-10/3.5-10/3.5-15/4-16 is more then enough.

Here's a link to a rifle that's FS that makes a good starting point for a factory rifle. It has a 40X trigger, (best thing Remington ever put on a gun), a H&S Precision Stock which is sound for a platform and can even be improved upon with a bedding job, and in a caliber that has the proper barrel length, 26". All for a good price and I know they don't make these anymore either.

Nosler Reloading Forum • View topic - Remington Police Sniper .300 Win Mag

I don't know Vince but I do know he's never given me a reason not to want to do business with him..... for whatever that's worth, but is a good rifle to work from as is and might be worth taking a look at?

The reloading part just takes a little research, and experience through testing what works and what doesn't? In the end you'll have the setup to quickly work through a load development and never again be stuck with factory fodder that's not tuned to the gun you're using. As well as the cost savings not have a bunch of boxes with 15 rounds in them and wondering what to do with them?

Best of luck to you Ed and hopefully you'll be making those 600 yard shots with boring regularity soon enough?

Thank you for your input. Ed M

Now my head is spinning.From tweaking my 700 7mm,to swapping out parts,to selling it and buying a rifle from Hill Country,to buying a Rem Sendero,etc. Now after watching some video clips from Gunwerks with that scope the options seem to be endless.
I guess for the time being I will squirrel some $$$$$ away and start with a top shelf scope for my 700 and see how good it is with some reloads.

And do a ton more reading here.Thanks guys or should I say stop screwing with my head with ideas.LOL

Milkie- my son and son inlaw shot my 300 win mag ( handloads) in a 1000 yard match. Each of their respective 15 shot groups you could cover with a sheet of notebook paper. It has a vais brake and a jewell trigger. 6.5-20 leup.

a one inch 6.5-20 ( used 500). the senderos shoot

Just happend to see a You-tube video from Gunwerks getting a sendero prepped for long range shooting.
Yah, start w/a good platform, bed it properly, trigger job, add a good scope, a load that works and you have a factory gun what will get the job done.
BTW, that 700 Police I mentioned is SPF, which would have made an excellent rig to start with in 300 WM.

Nowdays I prefer using my Browning BAR short track in 308 WIN in mountains hunting for maral/elk to my remmy 700 in 300 WM. Last year I took a big maral at 660 m with this rifle. This year I also used successfully for a maral.
So, 308 or 3006 is also good for elk. However, if you prefer magnums you can take them also in such BAR platform.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts