New deer rifle for indiana

Yep, I looked at one. I don't believe it has an Accustock. If'n I were you I'd look at an HS precision .
Also, if you cant find Varget give IMR4064 a try.

I like the paint job on that! Ill be shooting the ABM ammo this fall. Going to tinker with some hand loads if I get time. Got some Varget handy as well as IMR 4166

I found the new laws a bit odd. But I'll get to dig my old 30/06 out. The laws have been revised. .243/6mm or .30 cal bullets and the case length is listed. I was a little confused by the listed cartridges at first. But I have a 30/06 so I'm good to go. A little bummed I can't use my 260. That 243 is plenty for deer. My farthest shot on a whitetail was 495 yds, one shot kill, with my good old 22/250. Shot quite a few in the 300-400 yd range with the same rifle. Shooting from one end of a bean feild to the other. Shot placement is key. This is going to be an interesting year. Realistically, a magnum rifle is not needed for whitetail, unless your shooting extreme distances or just want a flatter shooting gun. If my 22/250 did the trick at almost 500 yds, a 308 should be plenty good a whole lot further out. A good bullet, placed in a good spot, is all that's needed. I'd rather be a good shot with a little gun, than a poor shot with a big gun, any day.

This law gets my vote for the #1 of all time, dumbest, illogical, misinformed, no knowledge law I know of anywhere in the USA.... If you have one that beat this I-d love to hear what it's about...we have one in PA that's close but not this insane... I'm still trying to think what were they thinking, could not have been worried about how far a bullet would travel because there's no way the 300 mags could be listed...got one to beat it ?????

JOHNNIE,
If you've been shooting deer with 22-250 you might as well use your 260, why would you care now????

I didn't have my 260 at the time or I would of. It's deffenently a better long range gun. I used to have the opportunity to hunt in different states, as well as depredation permit hunts in Indiana. Being from Kentucky, my grandpa used to let us kids deer hunt with his 22/250 when we were little. I liked it so much I bought one for Indiana coyotes, and took it back to Kentucky every once in a while. Believe it or not, there are bean fields in the hills of Kentucky. Access to depredation permits gave me the "need" for the 260 because of the way the law read. That 260 with a 140gr SST is very deadly on whitetail, even at 450 yds. With the way the new Indiana laws read, I might have a "need" for something else now. Those depredation hunts were a lot of fun. I put a lot of deer meat on the grill that way.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.