New Cartridge 6.8 Western

Crazy, I'm building a wsm at the moment. Didn't want to jump on the 6.5 bandwagon. Had a short mag in the safe, figured hell why not. Thanks to the 27 Nosler, we have some decent projectiles. Finally time for the. 277 to shine! Waiting on the barrel, 1/8 twist, gonna push some 170 EOL. Unfortunately, my difference will be OAL, because well, my magizne, is Savage SA. So, I'll run single shot for fun, and run a 150 ABLR for hunting. Hope it will stand up to the "6.8 west"

Last edited:
I've been reading about this 6.8 W and the 270wsm and .270 wcf. ... and came across an interesting comment. The issue was about the new high BC .277 bullets and mentioned the 165ablr and 175vld needing 1:8.5 or 1:8 twist. OK, fine. Then the article tossed in this tidbit:

"The ole .270 WCF can't push these new, heavier bullets fast enough to make them useful, regardless of twist."

Fast enough? A .270 should have no problem pushing these out at 2600-2700 fps. What gives?

At best the 6.8 & 270 wsm add 200 fps over a .270wcf.
Is the author high? According to him, rebarreling my .270 with a 1:8 twist barrel is a waste of time. Doesn't ring true with me.
Comments?

I don't see any issue with a regular 270 being enough. The little creed pushes a 147 factory load at 2700 fps So how can 20 more grains bullet weight at the same speed be bad? I'm no fan of the 270 myself but admit it is hugely popular and for good reason. But it your going to improve it might as well add .007 to the bore diameter along with that 8 twist. Bullet selection goes through the roof then.😁
Shep

Last edited:
I've been reading about this 6.8 W and the 270wsm and .270 wcf. ... and came across an interesting comment. The issue was about the new high BC .277 bullets and mentioned the 165ablr and 175vld needing 1:8.5 or 1:8 twist. OK, fine. Then the article tossed in this tidbit:

"The ole .270 WCF can't push these new, heavier bullets fast enough to make them useful, regardless of twist."

Fast enough? A .270 should have no problem pushing these out at 2600-2700 fps. What gives?

At best the 6.8 & 270 wsm add 200 fps over a .270wcf.
Is the author high? According to him, rebarreling my .270 with a 1:8 twist barrel is a waste of time. Doesn't ring true with me.
Comments?
Personally, unless you just want something different or you're a big 270 fan, I'd opt to rebarrel to .280 Ackley or .284 Win with a long throat. However, the .270 with a 26" barrel and RL26 would do great with 165s or the 170 Berger's with a 1-8 twist. I take most gun writers in magazines with a grain of salt. Most of them don't know as much as half the guys on this forum lol.

Put a 1-8 on Kimber Montana 270 wsm. No problem getting 2900 fps with 170 bergers and 3000 fps w/ 165 ablr. As FYI, I saw with 6:8 Western release they are also releasing a 175 sierra tipped gameking and 170 nosler balllistic tip, at least with factory ammo

Our local shop just had 4, 8 lbers. I didn't even go get in line. But I did snag 4 pounds online. That will hold me over for a little while.
Shep

I would think the 270 could push the 165 to 170 class bullets to 2850fps with rl26. Seems to me it would be very potent at long range.
Shep
It seems that the author was saying these bullets won't work unless they're in a magnum.... and that seems like an uninformed comment. Surprised his editor didn't ask him, '*** you talkin about'? 'won't push them fast enough '

I can't find any info on the new sierra. Anyone know the bc on it?
Shep
It's 0.617 according to this picture I found on another site.
C184D8AB-64BE-4FAA-BAE4-EC8BFA3370B6.png

Especially when a 180 eldm has an .777 and is fatter. But if you look at the picture of the bullet it has a very long bearing surface. Not good for bc or velocity.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts