Reloading 6.8 western

Got some more testing in and range time at 200 yds.

I put 25 rounds down range, noting velocity on each shot. Average over 25 shots = 2944 fps.

Groupings at 200 yds are still outstanding. The 3 shot group was cold bore shots with wind from my left at less than 5 mph. 1" group at 200 yds is acceptable.

I then put the last 5 rounds of the 25 shot string into the same target, far from cold bore. By that time, the wind was 5-8 mph from my left. Looks like about 1 1/2" group at 200 yds with a hot barrel.
07C7017B-2BAB-46C4-9FE1-DB668D1618F4.jpeg
437D130E-4E47-4341-8286-E46AE85C1FC4.jpeg

I have some load data for Accurate Magpro and 175 gr Sierra GameChangers, however I haven't done as extensive testing with that bullet/powder combination.

I finally got around to load testing for my 6.8 Western. I started with new, factory Winchester brass and used WLRM primers. I read that there had been success using Ramshot Magnum powder to achieve higher velocities with no pressure concerns, so that's the route I took.

Having reloaded for a lot of calibers over the years, it has been my experience that maximum load ranges usually do not equate to being the most accurate. To my surprise, that was not the case here.

Rifle is a Browning X-bolt LR (26" barrel) Hells Canyon, running through a 30 caliber Thunderbeast suppressor.

The load I settled on is as follows.

New Winchester Brass @ 2.010"
WLRM primers
69.1 gr Ramshot Magnum
170 gr Berger EOL Hunter bullets
COAL = 2.950"
Lee factory crimp
This recipe reached an average velocity of 2933 fps.
45 - 48 degrees with slight wind, less than 5 mph.

100 yard 3 shot group was well under 1/2", pictured below.

Loads at 68.7 gr and 68.3 gr yielded groups just under and just over 1/2" respectively.

I have loaded 30 rounds to determine a better average velocity and work on 200 yard groupings.View attachment 348232
Very encouraging I'd say this far into it.

sorry not trying to derail thread but have you ever tried turning those paper targets backwards and just using the stickers ? It awesome and all I do now.
Unless your in the sticker you can see your groups awesome at 200 yards.

I've got 175gr sierra tipped gamekings...I was hoping for some data on the heavier bullets. Will just keep looking around. Someone will publish their results soon I hope.
Man where did you score 175 STGK? I've been looking all over for about three months now. Also looking for 165 gr NABLR. I have some Win brass and 170 gr Ballistic tip.

I've got 175gr sierra tipped gamekings...I was hoping for some data on the heavier bullets. Will just keep looking around. Someone will publish their results soon I hope.
H1000 with 63.3 grains at factory col and win mag primers it group.5 inches at 2760 valocity

I finally got around to load testing for my 6.8 Western. I started with new, factory Winchester brass and used WLRM primers. I read that there had been success using Ramshot Magnum powder to achieve higher velocities with no pressure concerns, so that's the route I took.

Having reloaded for a lot of calibers over the years, it has been my experience that maximum load ranges usually do not equate to being the most accurate. To my surprise, that was not the case here.

Rifle is a Browning X-bolt LR (26" barrel) Hells Canyon, running through a 30 caliber Thunderbeast suppressor.

The load I settled on is as follows.

New Winchester Brass @ 2.010"
WLRM primers
69.1 gr Ramshot Magnum
170 gr Berger EOL Hunter bullets
COAL = 2.950"
Lee factory crimp
This recipe reached an average velocity of 2933 fps.
45 - 48 degrees with slight wind, less than 5 mph.

100 yard 3 shot group was well under 1/2", pictured below.

Loads at 68.7 gr and 68.3 gr yielded groups just under and just over 1/2" respectively.

I have loaded 30 rounds to determine a better average velocity and work on 200 yard groupings.View attachment 348232
I developed this load over a year ago. Only punched paper and rung steel with it until today. Shot this doe at 247 yds. Shooting uphill so entry was mid-rib and exit was a little high. Those 170 gr Berger EOL's make one heck of an exit on a whitetail.

IMG_5094.jpeg

I got the Cabela's exclusive Winchester Modle &0 for Father's Day. The only factory ammo I've bought is the Browning with 175 gr TGK, the rifle hates them. I bought some ADG 7mm SAUM brass resized to 6.8 Western and loaded up some IMR 4955 and 165 Nos ABLR. I didn't crony them as I did not care about velocity, but man they were accurate.

I got the Cabela's exclusive Winchester Modle &0 for Father's Day. The only factory ammo I've bought is the Browning with 175 gr TGK, the rifle hates them. I bought some ADG 7mm SAUM brass resized to 6.8 Western and loaded up some IMR 4955 and 165 Nos ABLR. I didn't crony them as I did not care about velocity, but man they were accurate.
Can you tell me what was involved in that? Just running the 7Saum brass through a 6.8 Western FL sizer? Did you need to neck turn after that, or was it okay?

Thanks.