Reloading 6.8 western

Can you tell me what was involved in that? Just running the 7Saum brass through a 6.8 Western FL sizer? Did you need to neck turn after that, or was it okay?

Thanks.
I ran the brass through the Western die and made sure the shoulder was bumped back .002" from fired factory brass. I didn't neck turn as I don't have the equipment, but Norma seems pretty consistent. I know I said ADG, I was confused as I bought ADG for my 300 WSM at the same time. I did run a mandrel in it though. I then loaded it to the min charge for powder and bullet weight I could find. Fire forming pushes the should out as the 7mm SAUM and 6.8 Western have different shoulder angles. It's like fire forming .280 AI from .280 Rem brass in this aspect.

I ran the brass through the Western die and made sure the shoulder was bumped back .002" from fired factory brass. I didn't neck turn as I don't have the equipment, but Norma seems pretty consistent. I know I said ADG, I was confused as I bought ADG for my 300 WSM at the same time. I did run a mandrel in it though. I then loaded it to the min charge for powder and bullet weight I could find. Fire forming pushes the should out as the 7mm SAUM and 6.8 Western have different shoulder angles. It's like fire forming .280 AI from .280 Rem brass in this aspect.
Great, thanks so much for the info.

I've recently been testing out a variety of powders to see what works for me. My last two have been Magpro and Magnum, details below. I still have Retumbo and Superformance to test.

I'm using a Browning X-Bolt Speed SR 20" barrel, the details below are the best combo of velocity and accuracy.

Magnum - 68.9gr - Average 2768 fps - ES 8 - .68" group/100yds - Berger 170 EOL
Magpro - 65.1gr - Average 2767 fps - ES 21 - .72" group/100yds - Berger 170 EOL

Last edited:
What bullets you looking to shoot? I have data for 145 ELD-X, 165 ABLR, 175 TGK, 160 Partitions, 150 Partitions. I like the performance of this cartridge. It is what the 270 WSM should been, which I also have.

I've recently been testing out a variety of powders to see what works for me. My last two have been Magpro and Magnum, details below. I still have Retumbo and Superformance to test.

I'm using a Browning X-Bolt Speed SR 20" barrel, the details below are the best combo of velocity and accuracy.

Magnum - 68.9gr - Average 2768 fps - ES 8 - .68" group/100yds - Berger 170 EOL
Magpro - 65.1gr - Average 2767 fps - ES 21 - .72" group/100yds - Berger 170 EOL
I have the exact same rifle. Did put a Timney trigger in it.

I'm loading the new 155 grain Barnes LRX with H4350. Ran into pressure signs earlier than I expected, and I have to remind myself that the 20" barrel isn't going give as much as a 24-26".

54.0 grains of H4350 is giving me about 2750 fps.

Maybe a bit slower powder might give me more velocity? But I have a lot of this powder and I'm only using it on deer so my current load should be fine.

My 16yo son used it this fall and killed a 4 point mule deer at 240 yards. Went through both shoulder bones and exited as the monos almost always do in my experience.

Screenshot_20231204-223529_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231204-223256_Gallery.jpg