6.8 Western or 300WSM

New member here also. OP- are you off to build your 270 WSM with 1:8 twist? I think that to use the heavier bullets you may have to start reloading as most factory ammo in 270 WSM is made for the 1:10 twist. I saw your thread because I actually now have both calibers. Last year got my first 30 caliber (not counting the 30-30 Marlin) in a 300 WSM BAR. Very pleasant to shoot without any muzzle brake because of the gas action. Still working on reloads to get better than 1.5 MOA. Now I just ordered my new 6.8 Western in X-Bolt Long Range which I also hope to shoot without a muzzle brake. The way they are rolling out new cartridges maybe we will see 7mm Western and 7.62 Western. BTW I still have my old Ruger M77 in .270 which is a great shooter.

Commercial (non)viability and the fact that u'r not a handloader (shame on you) aside, what do you intend to use this new acquisition for, and where? These tools we so enjoy are purpose designed and built. They're intended for use. So, what purpose(s) will said rifle serve?

Hey Fellas I am new to the site and I am looking for some suggestions. I am 52 years old and have been hunting and shooting all of my life. I live in the Lowcountry of South Carolina and I own and operate a sporting clay range and I have a private rifle range also.
I am thinking about buying a new rifle and I really like the way the 6.8 western looks on paper but not really sure its going to be around long enough to prove itself unless some other companies start making ammo for it (I'm not a reloader). So my other thought was 300WSM. I know one is a 30Cal and the other is a .270 so there is that. I don't want a 270WSM because I can't go past 150gr. Thoughts?
I own both 300WSM and 270WSM. I have over 25 rifles, all in different calibers. My 270 WSM however is often my trusty "go to" setup, with a 130gr Barnes TSX. It flat drops deer DRT. Have also dropped 2Black Bear, one in his tracks, the other in 20 yds. In all cases the Barnes creates a massive dynamic wound channel, but minimal meat damage and exit no bigger than a quarter, usually a nickel or 0.50". I also love my 300WSM but it's just way overkill in So Carolina. It's more a dedicated Bear and Elk gun. You can buy outstanding Barnes factory ammo for either. You'll enjoy the 270 though more as just fun to shoot. With a Barnes 130gr bullet, recoil is nominal and zero need to shoot 140 or 150 unless it's an Elk hunt. Even then not mandatory. Another great caliber in that range and would be my 1st choice is a .280Ackley. Factory ammo now is as available as any other. The primary bullet is 140gr. In a 140 Barnes TTSX, it's equivalent to shooting a 160-175gr in another cup and core like Accubond or Swift Sciroccos. All 3 are Elk capable, but the 280ai and 270WSM are more directly in your wheelhouse. Also the 280ai has very low recoil with no need for a brake. Don't get side tracked with rebarrelling for super heavy bullets and ultra long range until you become at least an intermediate reloader. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hey Fellas I am new to the site and I am looking for some suggestions. I am 52 years old and have been hunting and shooting all of my life. I live in the Lowcountry of South Carolina and I own and operate a sporting clay range and I have a private rifle range also.
I am thinking about buying a new rifle and I really like the way the 6.8 western looks on paper but not really sure its going to be around long enough to prove itself unless some other companies start making ammo for it (I'm not a reloader). So my other thought was 300WSM. I know one is a 30Cal and the other is a .270 so there is that. I don't want a 270WSM because I can't go past 150gr. Thoughts?
I think the 270 wsm is a Awesome round, super flat shooting to 500 yards with a 130 gr. The 6.8W has a case capacity of about 3-4 grs less then the 270 wsm. Yes the 6.8W has a faster twist but shooting the heavies only outperforms the 270 wsm passed about 650 yards but not as flat before. Both the 6.8W and the 300 wsm have cases on the smaller side compared to others in their categories. Imo the 6.8W was a knee jerk response to the noise the 6.5 prc was making. Its ok. The 300 wsm is the smallest 30 cal mag and set a record group size at 1000 yards resently at just barely over 1 moa. I really like the wsm's. The 300 wsm has way more choices of factory ammo then the 270 wsm, go check on MidwayUSA. And for the non reloader thats a plus. But imo, in a 30 cal you need to shoot a 208 plus gr bullet to get a decent bc. And the 300 wsm wont be real flat shooting with that heavy bullet. But a 165 gr would be a killer hunting option in the 300 wsm imo. Like its little bro the 270 wsm with a 130. Its all give and take. I go out to WY prepared to make a long shot but have never shot over 100 yards so far. Idk if its lucky or unlucky.
My 270 wsm with a 130 gr BT or Berger is almost too explosive on deer under 150 yards, am going to a Barnes 129 LRX to control this, hopefully. And my handloads are meek at only 3042 fps. Dont sell the 270 wsm short, mines killed a cow elk, 3 mullies and a handful of white tails. All 1 shot. Except a buddy didnt make a good first shot once on a mulley buck but not the rounds fault. I think we all get too caught up in efficiency when it comes to high bc's for distances usually past the average hunting shot. Because this LR efficiency comes at a cost, the flatness of the round at <500 where most shoots are made. But of the two you listed I'd go 300wsm. Hands down a better choice with more ammo choices.

Attachments

• 38358.png
    38358.png
    70.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Commercial (non)viability and the fact that u'r not a handloader (shame on you) aside, what do you intend to use this new acquisition for, and where? These tools we so enjoy are purpose designed and built. They're intended for use. So, what purpose(s) will said rifle serve?
What he's driving at is you have very few options for the 6.8 Western... You would have more if you handloaded. Winchester is the only maker of ammo or brass as I know of. The .300 WSM has a greater number of choices for ammo and brass by different companies better than Winchester. With the fast twist required, you'll HAVE to go with ammo loaded with bullets heavier than 150. What are there 3 or 4 now? Sierra, Nosler, Berger, ??? (Not REALLY locked into only those few, but accuracy will likely suffer for use of lighter bullets, most likely.) Hammer probably has a bullet to go in the fast twist... but you don't handload... Nevermind. The .300 WSM has been hardER to find quality ammo for because of the shortage, but is pretty widespread, so if your favoite source dries up, you should be able to find it somewhere. But he's right. The exact purpose of the rifle will determine if one is better than the other in addition to the afore mentioned. Good luck if you're still pondering (which I doubt- This is more or less for anyone else reading this that is at the same crossroads).

I think the 270 wsm is a Awesome round, super flat shooting to 500 yards with a 130 gr. The 6.8W has a case capacity of about 3-4 grs less then the 270 wsm. Yes the 6.8W has a faster twist but shooting the heavies only outperforms the 270 wsm passed about 650 yards but not as flat before. Both the 6.8W and the 300 wsm have cases on the smaller side compared to others in their categories. Imo the 6.8W was a knee jerk response to the noise the 6.5 prc was making. Its ok. The 300 wsm is the smallest 30 cal mag and set a record group size at 1000 yards resently at just barely over 1 moa. I really like the wsm's. The 300 wsm has way more choices of factory ammo then the 270 wsm, go check on MidwayUSA. And for the non reloader thats a plus. But imo, in a 30 cal you need to shoot a 208 plus gr bullet to get a decent bc. And the 300 wsm wont be real flat shooting with that heavy bullet. But a 165 gr would be a killer hunting option in the 300 wsm imo. Like its little bro the 270 wsm with a 130. Its all give and take. I go out to WY prepared to make a long shot but have never shot over 100 yards so far. Idk if its lucky or unlucky.
My 270 wsm with a 130 gr BT or Berger is almost too explosive on deer under 150 yards, am going to a Barnes 129 LRX to control this, hopefully. And my handloads are meek at only 3042 fps. Dont sell the 270 wsm short, mines killed a cow elk, 3 mullies and a handful of white tails. All 1 shot. Except a buddy didnt make a good first shot once on a mulley buck but not the rounds fault. I think we all get too caught up in efficiency when it comes to high bc's for distances usually past the average hunting shot. Because this LR efficiency comes at a cost, the flatness of the round at <500 where most shoots are made. But of the two you listed I'd go 300wsm. Hands down a better choice with more ammo choices.
So heres a correction to my post. The 300 wsm shot a 10 shot group at 1000 at like 2.8". Pretty good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220724-211215_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220724-211215_Google.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 62
Just a suggestion. What is the smallest caliber you can use on the animals you hunt? I would start there. Next I would go to the store and make a list of the ammo you are looking into using and see how available it is in your area. If you don't reload this will be a huge factor. You don't want to buy the latest and greatest then be left out in the cold because your ammo is never available. Talk about ruining hunting season.
Right now in the area I live and shop there is all kinds of 6.8 Western ammo because they are pushing a new cartridge but that could change in a years time!

Right now in the area I live and shop there is all kinds of 6.8 Western ammo because they are pushing a new cartridge but that could change in a years time!
Sometimes we just have to shoot what's available, as long as we can still hunt I can buy a different caliber gun. I would do that 6.8 western if it's available. Wishing you a successful hunt this year. My girlfriend shoots deer, hog, coyote, mule deer with a 243 Winchester. She was using the 95 grain Hornady SST now I load the 105 grain Bergers. There was nothing wrong with the factory 95 gran Hornady. I just like to reload for all my guns.

Last edited:

Recent Posts