New Cartridge 6.8 Western

Nosler shows their 160 Part at 2828 in 24" barrel with RL22 so bet for sure RL26 will push it a bit faster in a 26" maybe even touching 2900 or more.

A factory rifle that could shoot the Berger 170 grain Elite hunter bullets ... ? or 165 Matrix?

A factory rifle that could shoot the Berger 170 grain Elite hunter bullets ... ? or 165 Matrix?
Yes. That's what the 6.8 Western will be able to do. They already show it factory loaded with 165gr ABLR's and a new 175gr Sierra Tipped GameKing.

And what's wrong with the 270 wsm???
Exactly, I was looking at the case design and the 6.8 and 270wsm are almost identical. 6.8 is a tad shorter than the wsm and both have a 35° shoulder. Looks like winchester is trying to reinvent the wheels. The only difference in rifle production is gonna be a 8t on the 6.8 and 10t on the wsm. But when they built the wsm there were no bullets made that required a faster twist than a 10t barrel. There are a few guns that could use a updated barrel twist,
And what's wrong with the 270 wsm???
The only thing wrong with a production 270wsm is the wrong barrel twist. Other than that there is no real advantage to 6.8 over the 270wsm. Just like all these calibers need barrel twist updates with a 8T .243, .264, .277, .284.

Basically, I guess you can't rewrite SAAMI specs so they reinvented the wheel. Had to shorten the case to keep the OAL in the short action mag box when loaded w/ longer high BC bullets.

Just a saum length 270 case.......if they go with an 8tw that'd work well if it has a long throat. The new 175 tipped game king only has a bc of 0.310 now 170eol will run well. Unfortunately win brass is junk at handling pressure.

Swaging is enlarging, drawing is reducing. I am a 40 year bullet swager.
Reducing, drawing, jacketed bullets does not make for the best accuracy, for the jacket tends to spring back ever slightly and may cause a loose jacket to core effect.
Just need to draw them undersize and then swage to bump the core back up. I do that when making bullets for my 35 and 351 WSL cartridges.

Maybe this has been discussed.....My analysis of the 2 cartridges is that it is a reinvention of a 270 WSM. Are any 270 WSM throated such that 2.95 OAL rounds don't fit without touching lands?
Seems like shorten the powder holding part 0.08" so you can have 0.08" more bullet out of the case and add 0.095" to the the OAL to fill the mag. Added freebore too. The thing is I'm not sure the 270 WSM cannot be seated to 2.95" already.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.