6.8 Western or 7 PRC for new rifle?

I really liked the idea of the 270 WSM and the 6.8 Western is just the improvement of that, especially for fast twist barrels. When I'm finished with this 28 Nosler barrel I have it'll likely be getting a 7mm PRC barrel, that's just based on the magazine length that I have. If you're buying a factory rifle, you should ask yourself if you want a long action or a short action and then if you want to be mag-length limited or not. I think that would be my determining factor. I own a few of the WSMs and that's the biggest gripe that I have. I do like the 6.8 Western as a cartridge and I believe that I'd like one someday, but I'd like to build it on a medium action, at that point a 270 WSM throated properly with the proper twist might be a better option.

I would give consideration to what happened to the previous short action magnums they Winchester designed and produced. Frankly, if there's not good brass available for the 6.8 Western soon I wouldn't give it much of a consideration. Though I do think 7mm SAUM can be necked down and fireformed for it.

Get both! I bought a 6.8 Western and then later a 300 PRC. Now that the 7 PRC is introduced I am tempted too. No clickers at all for my PRC. Pick up a couple hundred pieces of brass for 6.8 Western and you'll be set for the life of the barrel. Or pick up a few pieces now and wait for ADG brass in 6.8 Western. I weight sorted and prepped the Winchester brass for the 6.8 Western and set aside the outliers. As you know, there will never be a shortage of .277 bullets.

Buy enough components to be dedicated for the barrel life of what you choose and carry on. If at the end of that barrel your cartridge is no longer, rebarrel to whatever the new hotness is.

Everyone has made good points towards both cartridges...kind of what I also came to the conclusion of in my mind. It's probably going to come down to what gun I get a better deal on when it's time to buy. Right now factory ammo for both are about the same price with the 7 prc being slightly cheaper. I would probably shoot factory ammo to collect brass on for either first anyways. Thanks for all the input!

7prc all day. 10yrs from now 6.8 western will be like the SAUM calibers and WSM calibers. Hard to find good brass and a niche round with a loyal following.

Shooters drive the success of a cartridge, not hunters. 7prc is a shooters caliber, 6.8 western is a hunting cartridge.
Very true……in 10 years I will have gone through several barrels by then 😂. And then again the saum is still here 22 years later.

No need to do the 6.8 thing if you had multiple 270WSMs. I love mine. So yes you need
a 7mm. I wouldn't go 7prc if you are a reloader, yes it does have the clicker issue as do all the prc's. If you are just buying ammo you are fine but the ballistic's do not impress me.
I have 280ai, 7mm rem mag, and 28N that all out run it. Lot of choices. Good luck.

I don't have a stash of anything of 150gr but I do have a good any 150gr ABLR and 150Gr Berger bullets in .277. I figured I could lose those for deer hunting. Brass will be the biggest issue because nobody is really making it.

The 7 PRC is on every shelf around my area for loaded ammo, with some places having brass too. I could just buy both and not tell the wife lol.
I really like this idea, right up to the point where the don't tell wife came into play. They are much smarter than we give them credit for at times and always find out. Good luck with your decision.

Very true……in 10 years I will have gone through several barrels by then 😂. And then again the saum is still here 22 years later.
If you shoot it that much, go for it. I don't have anything against the 6.8 western, but it will greatly surprise me if it has more than a cult following in 22 years, especially in comparison to 7prc.

Both are fantastic choices if you load, but bullet choice is better with the 7's.

I have sold the last of my 270 WSMs a few months ago...I had a Savage Stainless 110 that was super accurate but a guy locally wanted it so I sold it. I regret it all the time really
The 6.8 Western twist rate will allow you (if you desire) to shoot heavier/longer bullets than either the 270 Win or 270 WSM unless you had custom barrel. I'm shooting 160 gr mono copper bullet which is quite long in my 7.5" twist barrel.

I really liked the idea of the 270 WSM and the 6.8 Western is just the improvement of that, especially for fast twist barrels. When I'm finished with this 28 Nosler barrel I have it'll likely be getting a 7mm PRC barrel, that's just based on the magazine length that I have. If you're buying a factory rifle, you should ask yourself if you want a long action or a short action and then if you want to be mag-length limited or not. I think that would be my determining factor. I own a few of the WSMs and that's the biggest gripe that I have. I do like the 6.8 Western as a cartridge and I believe that I'd like one someday, but I'd like to build it on a medium action, at that point a 270 WSM throated properly with the proper twist might be a better option.

I would give consideration to what happened to the previous short action magnums they Winchester designed and produced. Frankly, if there's not good brass available for the 6.8 Western soon I wouldn't give it much of a consideration. Though I do think 7mm SAUM can be necked down and fireformed for it.
I think the 300 WSM is on the comeback. ADG and now, Lapua produce brass for that caliber. Other WSM calibers, not so much.

I'm in a dilemma...I am in the market for a new rifle. I want either a 6.8 Western or 7 PRC. I already own several 6.5 Creeds, 300 Win Mag, .308s, 270s, 6.5 PRC and load for all of them. I have no reason to get either cartridge other than I just want one. I live on the east coast so whitetail is 99% of what I will be using it for other than shooting it during the off season. I was huge into the 270 WSM game for years and still have a good supply of components for it. I own nothing in 7mm so I would need to invest in 7mm projectiles and other supplies. My biggest concern is the 6.8 Western going away and the 7 PRC staying supreme for years to come. I rather do the 6.8 Western because of the projectiles I currently own and I just like the cartridge. Thoughts?

PS...this will most likely be a factory rifle.
Only you can resolve your dilemma. If you are trying to fill a gap, go with 7 PRC. If you want to use your .277 projectiles, go with 6.8 Western.

.26 cal = 6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC
.27 cal = .270s, 6.8 Western
.28 cal =gap caliber/chambering - 7 PRC
.30 Cal = .308s, .300 WM

IIWY, I would go with the 7 PRC, but you have the ultimate decision. Do not overcomplicate it, this not going to be your last. Good luck!