6.8 Western or 7 PRC for new rifle?

Chowitt87

I'm in a dilemma...I am in the market for a new rifle. I want either a 6.8 Western or 7 PRC. I already own several 6.5 Creeds, 300 Win Mag, .308s, 270s, 6.5 PRC and load for all of them. I have no reason to get either cartridge other than I just want one. I live on the east coast so whitetail is 99% of what I will be using it for other than shooting it during the off season. I was huge into the 270 WSM game for years and still have a good supply of components for it. I own nothing in 7mm so I would need to invest in 7mm projectiles and other supplies. My biggest concern is the 6.8 Western going away and the 7 PRC staying supreme for years to come. I rather do the 6.8 Western because of the projectiles I currently own and I just like the cartridge. Thoughts?

PS...this will most likely be a factory rifle.

A few things to think about.
Do you already have some heavier, high BC .277" bullets? If not, will you be tempted to buy them despite having a stash of .277 bullets?

The 7mm PRC will probably win out in practicality and sustainability. Does the 7mm PRC have chamber spec and clicker issues like the 300 PRC?

I am intrigued by the 6.8 Western and could easily be nudged into buying one, rational or not. In my opinion, if this is just for fun, get what you want to play with. If it's the 6.8 Western, buy enough brass to get you through your first barrel as soon as it is available.

A few things to think about.
Do you already have some heavier, high BC .277" bullets? If not, will you be tempted to buy them despite having a stash of .277 bullets?

The 7mm PRC will probably win out in practicality and sustainability. Does the 7mm PRC have chamber spec and clicker issues like the 300 PRC?

I am intrigued by the 6.8 Western and could easily be nudged into buying one, rational or not. In my opinion, if this is just for fun, get what you want to play with. If it's the 6.8 Western, buy enough brass to get you through your first barrel as soon as it is available.
I don't have a stash of anything of 150gr but I do have a good any 150gr ABLR and 150Gr Berger bullets in .277. I figured I could lose those for deer hunting. Brass will be the biggest issue because nobody is really making it.

The 7 PRC is on every shelf around my area for loaded ammo, with some places having brass too. I could just buy both and not tell the wife lol.

Buying both is definitely an option. lol Just like others have mentioned...7PRC will likely be around for awhile...6.8W will likely be a niche round. But it sounds like your intrigued by the 6.8 more than the 7....so I'd go with the 6.8...otherwise you'd wish you had. You can always pick up a 7 later.

Why not stay with the 270 WSM? Believe me I understand wanting a new gun. I do it all the time. But what will the 6.8 do that the WSM can't? 270 caliber is one I don't have, so I am curious.

If the 6.8 rifles are short action, that would be the deal breaker for me. You have way more choices for future re-barrels if you're on a long action.

Buy a 7 PRC rifle (long action) and have someone spin up a 6.8 barrel for it (there may be feeding issues).

Why not stay with the 270 WSM? Believe me I understand wanting a new gun. I do it all the time. But what will the 6.8 do that the WSM can't? 270 caliber is one I don't have, so I am curious.
I have sold the last of my 270 WSMs a few months ago...I had a Savage Stainless 110 that was super accurate but a guy locally wanted it so I sold it. I regret it all the time really

I vote 6.8W but I have always liked 27cal. While the 7prc may be more popular I don't think it is going anywhere. The 6.8W has a bit less recoil for a bit less performance though still very impressive ballistics. Personally, I do not think either cartridge will be "supreme" long term as there is just not a huge market for magnum rounds unless they have some tacticoolness to them like the 300 Win Mag. I like your idea of buy both as that is my own philosophy:). The downside of 6.8W right now is brass. Win is only source and according to them demand is so high for loaded ammo they are not having any left over for any cartridge. Good news is ADG is planning on 6.8W this year.

Lou