Need a new chrono. Thoughts on my thought process?

Super chrono does not touch the Magnetospeed, it's one of the biggest piles I've seen used on the range both in set up, usability and accuracy, using the Super chrono sold me on the Magnetospeed!!

:) There have been a number of negative reports from users of the SuperChrono. The stories on the SuperChrono are a prime example of the value of Forums where individuals buy and test a product and then report on that product.

When "professionals" test the SuperChrono and articles appear online or in gun/shooting magazines, they generally report positively on the unit. When the rank and file hard core shooters use and report on the SuperChrono, it commonly gets reports like bigngreen's.

I was hoping it would prove to be an accurate tool to measure downrange bullet velocity - but from what I can tell based on reading the Forums, you might as well use a stop-watch.

you might as well use a stop-watch.

Ouch! As much as I want one maybe it is a good thing that I could not find one prior to buying the Sporter. I hope they get the bugs worked out cause it seems like a great solution.

We have a couple of m35's here... One is Broz' old chrono and the other I own halvsies with my Pops but I don't get to it much... I also own a CED Millenuim, but that is useless unless you simply want to frustrate someone... I just haven't bothered to throw it away yet...

As to the newer units out there, the Magnetospeed is out for me... any poi change makes it garbage imo... I want to see a labradar in action before I shine my CC for it... I may get one some day but for now I'll simply work with optical (m35)...

I probably average load development for 4-5 rifles a month and the POI change of a Magneto is of no consequence when getting solid velocity data when needed, it cut my load development down substantially!! I've shot a number of rifles using the Labradar and I'll buy one if I have some extra money cause it does work well and for dialing in for 2000+ yards it would be a benefit to have velocity data for each sho,t along with getting real time enviro and wind data that I'm getting now I think it would be a benefit but for an average guy just wanting good number a Magnetospeed is the best money spent still, IMO.
The Superchrono will never be fixed, to make a product better the company has to see room for improvement, they feel the product is perfect and there is no way anything could be wrong because they made it.

I think it's funny how many people still don't understand how to use the Magnetospeed.

Anything attached to the end of a barrel will effect harmonics and alter POI.

I don't know why it's so hard to figure out that you attach the Magnetospeed to the barrel to check velocity/ pressure.
Once you figure out speed along with max pressure and get the load data you want, remove the magnetospeed to zero and work on seating depth if needed,etc.

Once you come up with your finished round you can put the Magnetospeed back on to verify speed if needed and you're done.

Who cares if the magnetospeed alters POI? I'm not going to hunt with it on. It's not a bayonet for close up battle.
I can set it up and be shooting in under a Minute. I can take it off in 15 seconds. I've never had a shot that I didn't get a reading on.

I've shot my gun over Oehler's and a Labradar a few trips back. All units were within a few fps of the Magnetospeed so I'd say they are all accurate.

I laugh when I see guys at the range setting up Pro Chrony's and units like that. They take forever to set up and they are always missing shots due to light issues.

I think people get so frustrated with them they are shooting them on purpose to put them out of their misery:D

I have 2 of the Oehler 35p's, one from my dad and another from ebay, both seem to work great, I like the ease of use with the Magneto and the technology of the Labradar. I know mine can be a pain to set up all the time but for what they cost me I'm good to go! Had a guy at the local sporting goods store try to tell me the Oehler is junk compaired to the other two but I'm now starting to think he might not know as much as he's lettng on! Anyone else had bad experiences with the Oehler?

I think it's funny how many people still don't understand how to use the Magnetospeed.

Anything attached to the end of a barrel will effect harmonics and alter POI.

I don't know why it's so hard to figure out that you attach the Magnetospeed to the barrel to check velocity/ pressure.
Once you figure out speed along with max pressure and get the load data you want, remove the magnetospeed to zero and work on seating depth if needed,etc.

Once you come up with your finished round you can put the Magnetospeed back on to verify speed if needed and you're done.

Who cares if the magnetospeed alters POI? I'm not going to hunt with it on. It's not a bayonet for close up battle.
I can set it up and be shooting in under a Minute. I can take it off in 15 seconds. I've never had a shot that I didn't get a reading on.

I've shot my gun over Oehler's and a Labradar a few trips back. All units were within a few fps of the Magnetospeed so I'd say they are all accurate.

I laugh when I see guys at the range setting up Pro Chrony's and units like that. They take forever to set up and they are always missing shots due to light issues.

I think people get so frustrated with them they are shooting them on purpose to put them out of their misery:D

Plenty of people understand how to use a magnetospeed and don't want to do load development only to put a magnetospeed on and find the load they found has a 20 fps SD when it could have been seen right away with an optical or labradar.

Plenty of people understand how to use a magnetospeed and don't want to do load development only to put a magnetospeed on and find the load they found has a 20 fps SD when it could have been seen right away with an optical or labradar.

+1, especially when I'm already checking POI and velocity change between the same rifle with brake and suppressor. Some of those Cutting Edge and Lehigh projectiles are running me $2.50 + a pop. That adds up quick.
I have a CED Millennium II and my buddy has an Oehler 35, we usually line them up for redundancy.
Good thing we have different tools for different people's needs.

I have a LabRadar and MagnetoSpeed. I sold my Master Beta chrony, it just was not reliable.

The LabRadar is nice once it's set up but it takes a touch more time than the MagnetoSpeed. If you're looking simply for velocity the MagnetoSpeed can't be beat. It's reliable, accurate and quick to set up. If you want to work up loads on multiple rifles setting up the LabRadar is the way to go. You set it up and shoot and groups are not affected in any way.

All of my rifles are suppressed. I had to get the LabRadar microphone in order for it to reliably trigger. It will now trigger on anything including my suppressed .22 rimfires as well as with a bow.

The LabRadar and MagnetoSpeed show similar enough results that I'd trust either one as a true velocity reading. Both can easily be used on public ranges where heading downrange is restricted.

I have a LabRadar and MagnetoSpeed. I sold my Master Beta chrony, it just was not reliable.

The LabRadar is nice once it's set up but it takes a touch more time than the MagnetoSpeed. If you're looking simply for velocity the MagnetoSpeed can't be beat. It's reliable, accurate and quick to set up. If you want to work up loads on multiple rifles setting up the LabRadar is the way to go. You set it up and shoot and groups are not affected in any way.

All of my rifles are suppressed. I had to get the LabRadar microphone in order for it to reliably trigger. It will now trigger on anything including my suppressed .22 rimfires as well as with a bow.

The LabRadar and MagnetoSpeed show similar enough results that I'd trust either one as a true velocity reading. Both can easily be used on public ranges where heading downrange is restricted.

I don't own either of those units, but your comments are very helpful and consistent with my expectations from both units. The LabRadar is very appealing for collecting MV ES/SD while developing loads.

The Master Beta Chrony? You're too kind. It hardly makes for good target practice.

I probably average load development for 4-5 rifles a month and the POI change of a Magneto is of no consequence when getting solid velocity data when needed, it cut my load development down substantially!! I've shot a number of rifles using the Labradar and I'll buy one if I have some extra money cause it does work well and for dialing in for 2000+ yards it would be a benefit to have velocity data for each sho,t along with getting real time enviro and wind data that I'm getting now I think it would be a benefit but for an average guy just wanting good number a Magnetospeed is the best money spent still, IMO.
The Superchrono will never be fixed, to make a product better the company has to see room for improvement, they feel the product is perfect and there is no way anything could be wrong because they made it.

Great input guys. Appreciate it.

So my warranty replaced Caldwell was just delivered. While I don't have much hope that it will be reliable I hope to get to the range to test it in the next week or two.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.