Need a new chrono. Thoughts on my thought process?

jb1023

So I have a $75 Caldwell chrono that has never instilled much confidence but now is basically dead. The last time I took it out there was a 4-7mph wind and it was logging errors every 5-10 seconds and only recording every 3rd rifle shot and not a single 45acp. So in the hr+ or so I was out there I fired off about 60 rds between the two and it recorded about 3k. Anyway, I'm looking to replace it but I am not sure what would be the best route to take. I want to be able to get readings for both rifle (308 and 223) and pistol (9mm and 45acp), rifle is far more important but I would like to verify velocity in pistol loads too. I was looking at the MagnetoSpeed v3 (MS3) with the pistol attachment, $405 w/pistol adapter. Most expensive option and a few reviews I have seen say it is not as reliable for pistols. Plus there is the whole possible harmonics issue so additional test rounds would be needed. I also saw the SuperChrono (SC), $350. A bit less expensive than the MS3 but decidedly more difficult to find available right now. Would not require the additional test loads though and it can be "safely" placed down range to test velocities at distance, not a requirement but might be interesting. I go to a private range and am typically the only one there so walking down range whenever I want and taking my time is not an issue. Finally there is the cheapest option of the MagnetoSpeed Sporter (MSS), $179, for rifle loads and a traditional optical chrono for pistol, $100ish for a total of $279ish. One thing I guess I need to decide is if recording pistol is worth the extra $100-221 depending on option.

Would love to get some opinions from others who also need to chrono rifle and pistol loads and what you bought to accomplish it.

Also, I should state that $ is a factor and the MS3 and SC are already more than I wanted to spend but if one or the other is that much better than the MSS + optical solution then I would be willing to do so and hope the wife does not kill me before I get to use it.

I have a Chrony F1, and I trust it about as much as I trust our current politicians. It tells the truth, only every now and then, if at all. Haha. My friend however has the MagnetoSpeed Sporter that you listed, and it seems to be VERY accurate. The readings are right on with the load information listed in the manuals we use. When I want to get a true reading, I ask him to use his MSS. As far as the pistol chronograph goes, I have no experience with that at all.

Spend a little more money and buy a Oehler M-35. I've had mine for years now and It's never let me down and I believe it's readings!

Save yourself some money and get a ProChrono and don't look pack. I own a magnetospeed, Also own a ProChrono and have owned a Shooting Chrony. Sold the Shooting Crony, they are hard to use and not reliable. Magnetospeed is great, but I also use a chronograph for arrows and pellets. This is where the ProChrono shines. It is ever bit as accurate as my magnetto speed. I use them both in tandem sometimes so I know.

ProChrono are a deal and you can even get them with Bluetooth. You won't regret it. Just look at the 5 star reviews on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028MTBJ4/?tag=lrhmag19-20

There are three quality chronographs, Magnetospeed, Labradar and Oehler 35, the only optical I'll put any faith in is the Oehler because it has double screens. An inaccurate chronograph is as good as not having one IMO.

I have a LabRadar and so far love it, the only issue I've run into is a 22 with a break. Remove the break and it registers.If you have Excel on your computer, you can used a SD card and get tons of data that it records. Only draw back is it will not register 4000 fps or higher and for me that would only affect the 22-250.

You've got to make a choice, IMO. You either want a chrono that will accurately deal with pistols, or one that will do the same for rifles, or one that will handle both rifles and pistols.
IMO, there is no better deal (dollar for dollar) than the Magnetospeed Sporter. Nothing fancy, just fast accurate data without the bells and whistles, at a very fair price. I've owned two Magnetospeed chronos, a V2 and the Sporter. The V2 was easier to put back into it's storage case and included a MicroSD memory card (which I never found a use for) but aside from those two points I don't see any reason to pay the extra bucks. I'm a fan of spending my money on rifles and ammo rather than fancy accessories.
If you want a chrono that does it all then bite the bullet (no pun intended) and wait a while until you have enough saved for a LabRadar unit.
Otherwise, go with the MS Sporter and rent a chrono at the range when you need to check out a pistol load.

http://rifleshooter.com/2015/11/magnetospeed-v3-versus-oehler-35p-chronograph-comparison-and-review/

So I saw on Caldwell's site that at the end of 2014 and beginning of 2015 they had a problem with their chronos and were repairing or replacing them free of charge. Mine was purchased in Jan 2015 so they are sending me out a brand spanking new one for free, as soon as they get their next shipment in from China. I think I will use that for my pistol and I just bought a MS Sporter to use for rifle. If I set them both up I can verify accuracy via rifle before trusting it for pistol. I really want the SuperChrono but with the replacement Caldwell, assuming it is somewhat accurate, and the new Sporter I am able to chrono all my systems and stay under budget. Maybe in a few years the SC or labradar will be more readily available and/or have some competition and the prices will come down. In the near term, if the Caldwell is not as accurate as I hope it is then I am looking at the PACT as a possible replacement. I hope to get to the range on Wed to test out the Magneto.

I should perhaps mention, I don't shoot comps and none of my pistol loads have ever had pressure signs or ejection issues, I am just wanting to chrono pistol loads for my own curiosity.

I've got a ProChrono. I've gone to the range too many times and have it act like a mare in heat. Sometimes the sun is right, some time the sun isn't. I've also watched shooters go through the hoops of setting up all the parts of a MS. That would drive me nuts. I've got a Super Chrono (and know where to find them) and if I aim it right, it is very simple and useable down range.

Last edited:
I've got a ProChrono. I've gone to the range too many time and have it act like a mare in heat. Sometime the sun is right, some time the sun isn't. I've also watched shooters go through the hoops of setting up all the parts of a MS. That would drive me nuts. I've go Super Chrono (and now where to find them) and if I aim it right is very simple and useable down range.

I have a ProChrono, Magnetospeed, and LabRadar. The Magnetospeed is the easiest to set up chrono I've used, I'm not sure what hoops you're referring to. I just can't warm up to shooting separate rounds for speed and accuracy because of the bayo's impact on accuracy and POI.

Well open up the case of your MS and tell me how many prices and wire you have to hook up?

PS My SuperChrono is 2 pieces. Including the tri-pod.

The bayo gets strapped to the muzzle and plugged in to the display so 2. Thats the sporter, maybe the other versions are more complex?

Super chrono does not touch the Magnetospeed, it's one of the biggest piles I've seen used on the range both in set up, usability and accuracy, using the Super chrono sold me on the Magnetospeed!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.