Need 270 Win Help

cowboyarcher

Hi All,

I recently had my old Winchester Model 70 rebarreled and added a new stock. The tube is a McGowan (#2 Shilen Contour with a brake) and the stock is a B&C Ultralight Medalist. The chamber is a standard 270 Win.

So far I've been having trouble getting what I'd consider an acceptable group out of the rifle with my reloads.

Factory 150grn Remington Core-Lokts shoot the best grouping right at 1".

150grn Interbonds, presumably seated at the lands, over IMR 4350 and H4831SC at and right below max loads group at about 3".

130grn SGK's over H4831 on the lands group at 1.25".

I was really hoping to get groups under the 1" mark with the heavy, high BC bullets. Any ideas? I'm just not sure how to proceed, and am fairly new to reloading.

Thanks for any help and God bless you,

Adam

I would try some different bullets and loads. Try out some Nosler Accubonds, 140gr. or 150gr. ballistic tips, they shoot very well out of my brothers rifle. It is a Remington 700 in 270 Win.lightbulb

Just as a lark go get a couple boxes of the premiun Winchester 130 &140 gr ammo and try it. Don't waste your time on the Super X stuff it is not as good as the high dollar XP3 etc......for 30 years all I used was WW 130gr SILVER TIPS. Should tell you alot about where you are in the process.
Good luck.

choose the bullet you want to shoot, 10 thousands off rifling, load 5 shells with five different powders(2 grains under max.), changing only the powders, shoot groups(if one powder shoots 1-1.5),then you can increase/decrease powder(then shoot groups)find if it opens or tightens, and then play with your seating depth (longer/shorter). If that does not work try only changing primers and do same process.
HAS NEVER FAILED ME!!
Have fun!!

One of my buddies got a barrel from the same place and was having troubles...not that I think there was anything wrong with the barrel or work.

I told him to neck size only and see what happend and his groups shrank remarkably. I think he was over-resizing. Anyway a set of Redding competition shellholders and a little change in lubing methods resulted in good groups on his rifle. His rifle took like a -.008 shelholder with the dies he had to not over-resize the brass.He also was pretty new to reloading so he might have been creating his own problem. I'm not sure what all he did as I was helping him over the phone but it shoots good now.

Your gun should shoot better that what you a getting. The first thing I would look at is the stock and how does it fit the action and barrel. Is it free floated or does the barrel touch the stock? Are the action screws tightened to the correct specifications? After this is checked out then you should move to the scope and rings. Is the base tight? Are the rings tight? etc. You should check all this before you try all the different loads.

I was going to reply with exactly what " shortmagman" wrote. I sounds and feels like you have movement somewhere in the system. My best guess would be micro movement in the bed under the action that is not repeatable on every shot. Or, it can be that the action is not sitting in the true center of the block. It may feel tight, but it moves when you fire. A way to check this is, remove the barrel from the stock. If you see shiny lines where the points of contact meet each other, THAT is the culprit. You may see it on the action, or you may see it on the block. If so, simply get it bedded, and, Viola, instant accuracy!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL:D gun). 7 STW.

Thanks for the tips gents. I'm going to start by going through the rifle tomorrow and seeing if anything is loose. (Don't think so, but doesn't take long to check). Then I think I'll do a skim bed of the action to make sure everything is setting properly.

From there I'll re-test some loads and see of there is any improvement.

Eventually I hope to work of a load using the 165grn Matrix bullet. . .

I am not sureabout elk but the hornady 130 gr gmx works very well in my 270 with Imr 4831 and cci 250 primers.

A #2 contour is a very thin pipe. If nothing else works, take the brake off, & fire a group or two. I've hered quite a few stories of accuracy loss when brakes are added to small barrels.
Hopefully you'll find a different culprit, & all will be well, but just incase you dont, try removing the brake, & put a threaded cap in its place.
If recoil is an issue, there's always mercury reducers that you could install in the butt.
Thin barrels also heat up quick, & tend to shift p.o.i. if adequate time is nor taken to cool the barrel between rounds.
Just a few things to think about while tracking down your accuracy gremblin.
Like many have said already, it should shoot a lot better. You used quality parts. Shortmagman listed some Excellent advise.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts