Need help with 270 Wby load

375ultramag

I need some advice on a 270 Wby please. I am loading ammo for a friend and I have never messed around with any Wby's. I ran a few test loads starting with 65.5 grains of H-4831sc and working my way up to 69.5 grains all with 140 grain Barnes tsx and Remington 9 1/2m primers and all with a coal of 3.340. That's as long as I can go and still fit them in the mag. The best group I could do was 2 inches at 200 yards and my friend wants better. Just wondering where I should go from here? I can't change the bullets cause that is the bullet he wants but everything else is an option. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Barnes bullets work better away from the lands. Try moving the bullets either closer or further away. The instructions that comes with the bullets says to start 50 thousand off the lands then move further away or closer. You can find the seating depth that works best. Do you know how far you are away from the lands?

I load for and shoot a 270 Wby, using Barnes.

1) go to the TTSX 130, IMO you are waiting your time with 140s.
2) switch to IMR-7828. It is THE powder for Wby.
3) My charge is 73.0. Use safe loading practices.
4) COAL is 3.590
5) If this not a real Weatherby, measure the chamber and free bore.
6) If it is, remove the spacer and get a smith to lengthen the bolt stop groove.
7) If a R700 or clone, get a Wyatt's mag box.

PM me for if you want to talk.

I tried to measure free bore but by the time I got the bullet to touch the lands I was afraid there wasn't enough bullet in the case neck. So I seated them to fit the mag. The gun is a Mark V made in Japan. Like I said in my first post I know absolutely nothing about a Weatherby other than I read somewhere they have alot of free bore. As for bullets my friend wants to stay as heavy as possible and lead free.

First off being stuck on a particular bullet isn't good especially with the choices for it pm me i can explain from experience on that second weatherbys can be a pain to load for as they are a belted mag with radius shoulders once agian previous experience but it can be figured out max length is a small detail from what i have found with weatherbys freebore its more than most first off your below 90% load density @67grn weatherbys from what i have seen like it higher noslers guide starts at 67 grains 4831 best accurcacy was achieved in their gun at 71grn max load but dont go straight there start at ish range work up .5 at a time second just because he doesn't want to change doesn't mean you cant show him look what it did with this also compare manuals i dont have mine in front of me but every body finds a different sweet spot i never get stuck on a bullet its a bad practice in my opinioni i load a hot load not max but close in one powder and load every bullet that suits my needs and then pic the best group and tinker with it oal and .1 grn up down to squeeze that last little bit if any to be had most of the time not much the gun will tell u what it likes not the shooter every body loves some thing but if it doesnt like it, its just like a baby itll throw a fit and tell you hey i dont like that bullet and i dont care how u load it i have been told many times etips dont usually shoot but i have a 300RUM that loves them go figure every gun likes something different but if i was doing it i would jump to 70.0 grains and stick with your oal u have dont change to many things at once if its still wild load up some different bullets if you have any in groups of 3 for 3 shot groups and test if nothing improves i would be concerned and i have two questions is the gun new or used? and is there any black or soot on the shoulder?

i find that i have to clean the copper from the bore VERY often when im trying to get accuracy out of Barnes bullets in my Weatherbys. Is that anyone elses experience?

also in my particular rifles the Barnes like to be loaded much shorter and jump more.

Weatherbys respond the best with case filling powders and higher loads.

Ill second the 7828

It boils down to willing to try what works or go it alone.

I invested a great deal of time, barrel life and money figuring out Weatherby's and copper.

I will do a comparison: The long range and competitive shooters using 260 Remington will shoot 140 grns bullets over H4350 with Fed 210M primers. Those who deviate from the recipe spend time, barrel life and money to find an alternative that might work as well sometimes but when the temperature changes they are hosed.

Is this a 6 lug or 9 lug Mark V? If it's a 6 lug then something is not right about what you have told us. Otherwise...

1) If that magazine length really only allows 3.34 then get it fixed. Not a single one of mine came from Weatherby that way.
2) There is an article from the way back time about loading barns, much longer COAL than I do and with a custom crimp. Crimp not necessary so I ignored that part.
3) You want to get some of the 'bearing surface' of the bullet into the free bore.
4) Roy's philosophy was long free bore, to ease bullet release and seating/obturation into the lands, keeping the pressures containable with his hot loads.

You might try the 129grns LRX Barnes, I have not yet. IMO The 140 and 150grns TXS is not going to work.

Oh and LRX are working in my 300 Wby and 300 RUM.

Come on elk hunt...

VERY IMPORTANT!

Don't over size your cases. Use the same method of bumping no more than .003 from a fired case.

Over sizing will:

Kill the brass
Kill any chance of accuracy

I played around with it some more last night and I can get 3.4 into the magazine but that's all. With the 140's the bullet just touches the lands at a coal of 3.512

I, too, have a 270 Weatherby on a Model 70 action, it gas a mag length of 3.4", I load them to 3.390" and get very good accuracy, but, if you aren't, move the bullet INTO the case at .005" intervals and shoot 3 shot groups until you find the sweet spot. This is how I've done it for my Weatherby's in the past.

Cheers.
gun)

I tried 140 gr Bergers in my 270 Wby with H4831SC and several seating depths. None were stellar in their performance. Went to 150 Bergers with H1000 and bingo, great groups.

Viht N560 is the most a accurate and best performing powder in the 270 wby period. 69-71 grs in 140's. 67-69 for 150's and you are good to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.