My son got a dandy last night - Wisconsin Youth Hunt!

Buckskinner

It was 81 here yesterday and windy and my son decides he wants to go out deer hunting.... This weekend is Wisconsin's youth hunt so let him go (although I could see him and was in earshot, I was with my other son in adjacent field). Gave him the 7mm-08 and I said dealing with a deer in this weather is a pain in the butt, so please only shoot a monster... He send me a text with a 7pt at 50 yards and said he let this one go, 15 minutes before close he calls me obviously shaken and says, "Dad, I just hit a monster! And he's down!". It came out of the brush into the soybeans and he had to make a 200+ yard shot freehand kneeling on one knee (beans were too tall to rest on his knee) because he forgot the shooting stix in the 4 wheeler. Hit in shoulder and dropped him, another closer shot to put him down for good.

I was busy skinning and caping last night... I can't believe he was able to compose himself, he said he stopped himself and gathered himself about 5 times before pulling the trigger. At 14, I would have likely choked on that one...

22 1/2" wide 153 7/8 and weighed 198 dressed, had about an inch of back fat on him, I've never seen a buck with that much fat, although I've never skinned in early October before either...

Attachments

• john-youth hunt 2017.jpg
    john-youth hunt 2017.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 953
Last edited:
That sure is a dandy. I bet you were just as excited as your son; and no doubt quite proud. ctw

Congratulations! Great job young man. Where in WI are you. I'm way South Central and not that warm here yesterday. Started raining right after I got in the tree. Got soaked and felt a bit cool. Wind blowing so hard that tree was moving enough to make me think about climbing down.

Waukesha county, had 81 on truck earlier in the day, seemed hot to me when he went out, but 60 is too warm to me this time of year. Rain was done about 4 here. Today even hotter and its sunny! Yuck... Glad we got it all cut up, got into 50's last night.

That is an excellent telling of his hunt on a very attractive buck. Congratulations to your son on the shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.