Great Youth Hunt, Both Girls got it done

Rugerdiggs

My oldest daughter is 11, this is her 4th deer and the 2nd one with her 300 blackout. She got this little toe head at 40 yds. It was the opening evening with nice conditions, her and grandpa got it done. The smiles are still on her faces. This the second deer she has shot with him, not sure which of the 3 of us was more tickled.
autumndeer16_zpsnm0b9byu.jpg

This is my youngest daughter, she is 7 and this is her 3rd deer. We didnt have near the luck in seeing deer as Autumn and Grandpa did. We hunted hard Friday morning and evening, Saturday morning and evening, and Sunday morning in the Tulsa are at Grandma and Grandpa's, and nothing but the weather got windy and hot. So we made the plan of leaving Tulsa early to get back home and see what we could do on the closing evening of youth season. Low and behold we spotted 2 yearling at a pretty good stretch and the way the wind was blowing didnt have much option to get closer. I had figured on a longer shot so i brought the ruger american predator in 6.5 creedmoor. I had just got it and sighted in the week before and knew it was ready. I got her steady resting the rifle on my backpack. I stressed to her that trigger control would make or break the shot at that distance and coached her on the reticle and where she needed to hold. After getting ready twice and then the deer moving one of them finally stood still long enough for her to send the 140gr Amax its way. We seen dust kick up behind them and they both bolted, with a sad face she looked at me and said "i may have missed daddy" but about that time we seen a bigger cloud of dust as it rolled up in the dirt, then with a big smile i hear " i knew i was holding where you told me to daddy". My 7 year old daughter had made a perfect shot at 277 yards, it was an awesome day to be a dad. Just so happened it was my birthday also and as we was dressing out the deer she told me she was sorry for making me clean a deer on my birthday, i assured her it didnt get much better than that.
madisondeer16_zps6jb4icbu.jpg

Great job. The best memories I have in life, are of hunts with my dad. I have 4 1/2 year old twins (boy and a girl), and they've got the hunting bug already. They love watching the hunting shows with me, and both have fake deer rifles. Lol. I can't wait until I can take them out on their first deer hunt. Keep up the good work. Your kids will remember these moments for the rest of their life.

I love your Catahoula dog!
Thanks, Kirk

Thanks, Her name is Romo ( hates when I watch cowboys playing when Romo is stinking up the game lol) we got her out of Dallas when she was year and half old when my youngest daughter was 6 months old, she was gonna go to the pound due to owner loosing his job and having to move to an apartment. The day after we got her my oldest daughter got next to the fence and one of my gentle cows was coming up to her and Romo jumped in between them and would have laid down her life for my daughter to defend her from the cow. She has been here ever since. I was raised around them and we used them to make a living catching and working cattle, we also caught several hogs with them. Romo is fixing to be 9 but hadn't lost much step yet she can still run about 30mph beside the 4 wheeler, will ride on the 4 wheeler, tractor, mule, truck, or on pallet with the girls in front of tractor. She is my third daughter lol.

Ya, they are amazing & loyal. 2 years ago I was charged by a sow black bear with 3 cubs. At 7 feet my 2 Catahoulas jumped on her. After about a minute of sparring she went up a tree. They absolutely saved from a mauling.
Thanks, Kirk

Wow that great stuff! Awesome to see those girls in the outdoors! Way to go dad! 277yd shot is a great shot for a youngster they obiously have a great shooting coach. How do they handle the 6.5 Creedmore. Would it be a cal you would recomend for youngsters. I am researching what would be best for my 6 and 8 yr old daughters. Great post love the smiles to me you have captured the essence of why we do this!

Wow that great stuff! Awesome to see those girls in the outdoors! Way to go dad! 277yd shot is a great shot for a youngster they obiously have a great shooting coach. How do they handle the 6.5 Creedmore. Would it be a cal you would recomend for youngsters. I am researching what would be best for my 6 and 8 yr old daughters. Great post love the smiles to me you have captured the essence of why we do this!

Thanks, the 6.5 creedmoor is a good caliber, low recoil but the problem is they don't offer it in short enough stock. She had to tuck it under her arm. If your shooting inside 150yds hands down the 300 blackout in my opinion is the best kid cartridge out there. Nearly zero recoil, .308 Bullet, and in either an AR platform or ruger ranch compact they are very short. My oldest girl has hers in the top pic. It's 34.75" from tip to tip and with the 1-4 scope it's just over 6lbs. With her behind she can shoot 3 shots at 75 yards you can cover with a nickel to quarter depending on how well she concentrates on the trigger control. My youngest can do the same. We been using Remington hog hammer ammo which is 130 gr barnes bullets with great success. All have been through and through with big exit wounds and deer dead right there or fartherest has ran 35yds with a blood trail a blind man could follow. Hope this helps.

Rugerdiggs,

Thanks for the informative post that helps alot. I hadn't even thought of the 300 blk out for the kiddos. Tell those girls congrats on a job well done. Have a great rest of your day

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.