My perfect Wyoming Mountain rifle build thread

The bolt knob is a nice touch. Who makes it?
Tactical works is where I got this one from. I like the added surface area to grip and the shape, and carbon fiber is similar to wood vs metal, it feels "warmer". I'm sure I'm not saving any weight, but I think the little bit of extra carbon on the action itself goes well with the stock, grip, and barrel once I have it.

Heres a red carbon Bartlein. IMO the red is more muted than the green.
Ya, I think that may have been intentional.....after all, one of the main guys there is Frank "GREEN".....ha ha!

I saw a rifle he built with a green barrel and Manners "moolah" stock, flat stunning rifle for sure.

Last edited:
Just ordered a Trigger Tech Diamond, 2 stage, flat blade. I really prefer the flat blade triggers on vertical grips, and I have done a lot of hunting with two stage triggers on 98 Mauser actions and really like them. Also, I would be lying if I said the green color of the trigger housing, that will match my green barrel and chassis once it is painted up, had nothing to do with it...... 😁 I think some of the subtle things like that can really take a rifle to the next level of awesomeness, really excited as it gets closer!!!

Just ordered a Trigger Tech Diamond, 2 stage, flat blade. I really prefer the flat blade triggers on vertical grips, and I have done a lot of hunting with two stage triggers on 98 Mauser actions and really like them. Also, I would be lying if I said the green color of the trigger housing, that will match my green barrel and chassis once it is painted up, had nothing to do with it...... 😁 I think some of the subtle things like that can really take a rifle to the next level of awesomeness, really excited as it gets closer!!!
You're gunna love it!

Help me with this thought process. I just cant put my finger on why a 30 Nosler for a 20" bbl? I seen you have talked about it but the case captivity is more conducive to a 26-30" bbl. I don't see where your going to gain anything over even a .308 Win.

I am not bashing, I am really not. Just trying to figure this out. I am heavily looking at 28 Nosler and there are a few guns in 24" bbls and I can't quite get myself to even look at those due to the wasted velocity potential of the longer 26" bbls.

Lifelong WY hunter myself and I think the 28&30 Nosler and Wyoming are a match made in heaven. I want a lightweight 28 to compliment my heavy .340 Weatherby.

Help me with this thought process. I just cant put my finger on why a 30 Nosler for a 20" bbl? I seen you have talked about it but the case captivity is more conducive to a 26-30" bbl. I don't see where your going to gain anything over even a .308 Win.

I am not bashing, I am really not. Just trying to figure this out. I am heavily looking at 28 Nosler and there are a few guns in 24" bbls and I can't quite get myself to even look at those due to the wasted velocity potential of the longer 26" bbls.

Lifelong WY hunter myself and I think the 28&30 Nosler and Wyoming are a match made in heaven. I want a lightweight 28 to compliment my heavy .340 Weatherby.
Well, a .308 win simply won't push a 215 grain bullet at 2900+ no matter the barrel length, powder used, throating or any other consideration, it doesn't even compare. A 20" 30 nosler will, with several powders. And yes, you will have a 100% burn rate. If you do research, even in large cases with slow powder, most of them have 100% burn in under 16" of barrel. The remainder of the barrel just allows the pressure more time to impart velocity upon the bullet.

I explained my reasoning a couple times in the first few pages of this post in detail, I will do it again though, as those were somewhere between page 1 and 6, and may not be convenient to find.

This is made as a compact, supressed backpack rifle. It, along with all my gear to hunt for 3-10 days, depending on the hunt, will be carried on my back. It will have a folding XLR light weight magnesium chassis with a carbon stock, and a supressor hanging off the end of the barrel, adding significant weight forward, as well as length. I have packed 14 lb guns with fixed stocks and 30" barrels on hunts like this, and it flat sucks. These chassis are already light in the rear, making them a little front heavy. Throwing on a 26-30" barrel, even a light carbon barrel, then another 9" of supressor and forward weight, makes for a ridiculous 35-39" barreled, front heavy, unwieldy gun to pack, and also would make it set very light in the rear support and require a lot of cheek pressure or downward pressure with the hand and will not be very steady or comfortable to shoot.

I don't care one iota if I am not getting 100% capability of the 30 nosler cartridge, that is not a requirement nor a concern in any way, shape or form. I care about how the gun handles, packs, shoots, and performs. It is a purpose driven gun for my intended use, not one built to look cool to all my shooting buddies and go in line with what the general shooting community may name as a "requirement". A 200-215 grain bullet, going 2900ish fps or so, will be solid 1000 yard+ capable elk performance. I don't care what the cartridge pushing it is, it doesn't need to give anyone the warm and fuzziness but me.

This gun will be hearing safe to shoot, under 40" WITH the supressor attached in my pack, around 9.5 lbs or less ready to hunt, WITH the supressor, will be comfortable to shoot, and will carry a .30 cal bullet with 1,800+ ft-lbs of energy to 1000 yards. If you know of a better way to accomplish ALL those benchmarks, then I'm all ears brother!

I have a 26 in long 308 throated so a 215 Berger is seated about half way down the neck, using small primer Lapua brass and ROMPING on it, a 20in Nosler smokes it with the same bullet!!

This gun will be hearing safe to shoot, under 40" WITH the supressor attached in my pack, around 9.5 lbs or less ready to hunt, WITH the supressor, will be comfortable to shoot, and will carry a .30 cal bullet with 1,800+ ft-lbs of energy to 1000 yards. If you know of a better way to accomplish ALL those benchmarks, then I'm all ears brother!

I think you nailed it with this build. Can't wait to see it come together!

Many ppl get a bit lost on the short barrel thing. My buddy who guided elk for many years thought I was crazy when I told him I was moving to 22-24 and soon to 20 inch barrels. Cody hit on why it really won't matter in his case to lose the 6 inches of barrel and I would dare say most ppl will never miss the fps lost by the shorter barrel in most situations. Shooting suppressed is just so nice the loss of velocity isn't a big deal. This is all JMO.

Many ppl get a bit lost on the short barrel thing. My buddy who guided elk for many years thought I was crazy when I told him I was moving to 22-24 and soon to 20 inch barrels. Cody hit on why it really won't matter in his case to lose the 6 inches of barrel and I would dare say most ppl will never miss the fps lost by the shorter barrel in most situations. Shooting suppressed is just so nice the loss of velocity isn't a big deal. This is all JMO.
Yup, shooting with a can is just flat pleasant. Been doing load developement on a supressed 300 WSM. I get up early before the family, brew a pot of coffee. I sneak into my reloading room, load up my rounds while sipping my morning coffee. Then, I take the long walk out to my shooting bench. It is 15 yards from my bedroom. After 25 rounds, my wife nor any of my kids wake up!

Yup, shooting with a can is just flat pleasant. Been doing load developement on a supressed 300 WSM. I get up early before the family, brew a pot of coffee. I sneak into my reloading room, load up my rounds while sipping my morning coffee. Then, I take the long walk out to my shooting bench. It is 15 yards from my bedroom. After 25 rounds, my wife nor any of my kids wake up!
That's awesome! I don't know what is better, the bench 15 yards from the bedroom or shooting without waking the family! Can't wait to see your build. My 20" 30N should be completed very soon as well.

Now THAT is living your best life!!
So jealous here living in an "illegal" state. I'm doing some load work for a large .300 and it wakes the whole valley. I am really doubting I can effectively shoot it like my WSM which hits all your other likes of handling, portability and realistic power. Thank you for posting your experience with us all.