Muzzle brakes...

Heres a video of a customer shooting his 10.5 lb 300 norma improved while fireforming brass with a 230 berger at 2900 fps. My self timing 5 port is on it. No dirt/dust gets kicked up due to no holes on the bottom. Unlike radial style brakes that blow debris everywhere.

I have a 300WM Rem.700 Long Range. I shoot the 215 Berger with 77.0 gr. of H1000. It was recoiling stoutly to put it mildly. Off a concrete bench it would leave my right elbow bloody. Not fun at all. So after searching the web I chose the Witt Machine Co. 5 port clamp on brake. I did not want to have the barrel pulled and threaded because it just shoot a very tight group with my load combination. After installing this brake it tamed the recoil down to 308 felt recoil. I can honestly say that the brake does not send the gas rearward toward the shooter. Maybe the threaded brake would do better for you but this one I have is excellent in my opinion. The price was very good also, under $100.00

Sarge, good to see you back.....of course, maybe I just missed your posts. I hope you don't get any water from these two little "weather makers"! I don't want to see my grandkids and great grandkids leaving their homes via boat again!

I handled the "bloody elbows" a little differently.....I bought an elbow pad used by Volleyball players! :p It's really quiet!;) memtb

I do. the above video shows the recoil reduction with it. the one in the video is the steel version but the titanium version is identical but 3 oz lighter

Sarge, good to see you back.....of course, maybe I just missed your posts. I hope you don't get any water from these two little "weather makers"! I don't want to see my grandkids and great grandkids leaving their homes via boat again!

I handled the "bloody elbows" a little differently.....I bought an elbow pad used by Volleyball players! :p It's really quiet!;) memtb

I gave that some thought but it would not negate the recoil. Recoil is very tolerable now. I am not recoil shy by any means. I just don't like it when there is an alternative.
We are just waiting to see what happens with the weather. The Female one is what we are watching. Marco hasn't posed any concern whatsoever. Haven't received any rain as yet. Laura is supposed to hit tomorrow. Like a lot of storms in the past, unpredictable. We are still not fully recovered from the great flood.

I am just starting. Havent fired my first LRS shot yet. Dont want to develop any bad habits by not getting out in front of the problems first. So, is the factory brake on the Savage 112 Lapua 338 to keep or replace.

I need recommendations on a new brake.
I have some of the best in the business as far as less felt recoil but I can't handle the blowback/concussion on my bigger guns. I can shoot 10-12 times and I have a headache and a face full of 💩 every single trigger pull. I'm looking for a brake that has less blowback. I can deal with some recoil and noise is not an issue but I can't do much more of the ports blowing directly in my face. I may sound like a whiney baby but I have got to change something up...
I don't do brakes. So, not much help. I also haven't had a need for any chambering larger than 30 cal. Aim small - shoot small. Never seen nuthin' walk away from a 30 cal bullet in the neck or main pump.

I am just starting. Havent fired my first LRS shot yet. Dont want to develop any bad habits by not getting out in front of the problems first. So, is the factory brake on the Savage 112 Lapua 338 to keep or replace.

Sir,

I commend you for staying active in the shooting/hunting world and for trying new things. As others noted on your thread the factory MB on your rifle is effective as advertised but there are other MBs that will perform better and there are plenty to choose from. To keep or replace it boils down to a personal choice/preference. Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

I am not sure about their up to 85% claim in recoil reduction.

Knowing a little about brakes, I will tell you It can't be done. Recoil comes in two parts. One part is recoil because of the amount gas produced by the cartridge. The other part of the recoil Is produced by the bullet starting inertia. The two combined, is the total recoil produced by the rifle/cartridge combination.

Each cartridges has both and a different ratio of powder to bullet weight. A pistol has a high bullet to powder ratio and most rifles have a high powder to bullet ratio. some of the most over bored rifles only have 74 to 75 % powder in the ratio and only 74 to 75 % to reclaim, So a brake can only reduce less than the powders recoil. you can get up to 95 to 98 % of that 75%. you cant do anything about the bullet recoil unless you lighten it or increase the weight of it.

The very best of brakes can only get within 90+ % of the available gas recoil, and that equates to 40 to 70% of the total recoil. So when someone tells you they are getting 85% recoil reduction, It is not true. They can however be getting 85% of the recoil from the gas produced when the powder is burned. It could be a play on words or just a sales pitch.

You cannot recover more than the potential gas recoil because there will always be a hole in the muzzle break to allow the bullet to exit. ;) and gas escapes this hole pushing backwards.
Another comment/belief that testing has proven false is the use of angled ports. Angled ports can be useful if you are trying to control the the effected area around the shooter by directing the gas in a specific direction or a controlled fashion by combining the exhaust ports impingement distance. Angling them back to increase effectiveness only helps recoil when they are 45 degrees +but they make the shooter pay in sound and shock.

Directing the gas away or forward can reduce the shock wave and DB of sound but can be detrimental to recoil reduction. An effective muzzle brake has to be well designed to handle all of the elements and reach a happy medium for total performance. There are many muzzles brakes that are simply metal with holes drilled in it and then there are well designed brakes that will do an efficient job of reducing recoil and shooter discomfort.

Bottom line you cant remove more recoil than available, you can only reduce a percentage of the available recoil.

J E CUSTOM

I have installed a ton of brakes on all kinds of rifles. I hate them all for my rifles. I don't like the concussion effect they give. But with the many different brakes I've used the Gentry has been the least concussive to my. But the best brake for the money is going to be a Harrels. I use a bunch of their brakes because they don't cost much and work great. The tactical brake is very effective at reducing recoil and is not that bad for concussion. It's all 90 degree ported. The Vais is the least effective brake I have ever had on a rifle. The Harrels tactical is hard to beat for performance and concussion. Their radial brakes are very effective too. No it's not going to beat a rear discharge brake in efficiency but the rear discharge brakes are a bear to shoot.
Shep

Here are some Harrels I just got in today. The ports on the tactical are actually cut in a v shape to direct gas up also.
Shep

Attachments

• 15984027188546278655515168791224.jpg
    15984027188546278655515168791224.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 108
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.