Muzzle Brake Recommendations?

Many thanks to everyone who has given their input! I've spent a few hours researching all that have been mentioned and I'm leaning towards the Terminator. I haven't been able to find much info on Kirby Allen's but will do so before pulling the trigger thanks to Bsnyder saying that he preferred it over the Terminator.

Found this…

Keep in mind the size of rifle vs break. A smaller break on a 300 PRC will work much better on it than a lapua sized break like a t4 terminator. But when you move up to Lapua then the T4 foes much better than the smaller brake. Apples to Oranges.

Agree, I was talking about breaks made by Vias, not his partner or the folks he sold his other patents to. I fielded a few and never had any issue... can't speak for the others I never used theirs. Cheers
Yes Sir, I too am talking about Vais muzzle brake, and as noted, I still own one.

298C0DB4-ACDB-4211-B555-8C45DE66E6F7.jpg

Another thumbs up for the MBM Beast!
I have a self timing one from them, and although there's a dozen other brakes that probably work just as well, I don't have a reason to look anywhere else in the future. Affordable, self timing, and I can't imagine looking for any more recoil reduction.

For reference, muzzle rise from my 15lb 6.5 creed is 1 - 2moa tops

Good day everyone and I'm hoping to get some good advice here from the great people on this forum. In all my years of shooting and hunting with a 30-378 Weatherby, I'm finally ready find a new brake other than the factory brake the MarkV comes with. I've been very happy with the recoil reduction of the factory brake but I'm looking for the best option when shooting prone (side port) but also one that would help with the muzzle jump to help see target impacts. Any and all good recommendations are welcome and thanks in advance for giving them.
I'd take a serious look at this company. Look at the videos, I think you'll like what you see. I put one of these on my 300 WM and I love it, but honestly, I cannot tell you 100% about the muzzle rise because I don't have a scope on it yet, but I am breaking in the barrel and it turned my 300 WM into a kitten imo. btw, the small holes are only on the top of the brake.

1659803345189.png

Last edited:
I'd take a serious look at this company. Look at the videos, I think you'll like what you see. I put one of these on my 300 WM and I love it, but honestly, I cannot tell you 100% about the muzzle rise because I don't have a scope on it yet, but I am breaking in the barrel and it turned my 300 WM into a kitten imo. btw, the small holes are only on the top of the brake.

View attachment 385118

You like it but haven't tried it with a scope? Video your muzzle with phone in slo mo. Tell us if muzzle is being pushed down before it rebounds up.

My ported brakes have smaller top holes then most brake to try and reduce downward thrust. The only real way to reduce muzzle rise without causing too much downward thrust is threaded and plugged top holes. That way you only use the minimum amount of down thrust to spot shots. I'm working on a more efficient port design in combination with threaded and plugged top holes for those shooting light weight hard kicking magnums. I'm going to try a few more minor tweaks on the port design to see if anything is left on the table but once that is figured out I'll be making self timed nitrided brake in the new design. I'll do them in a tuner version as well. I also intend to make a titanium tuner version in the .935" diameter to match up well with Sendero contour barrels. The self timed brake will be titanium and the weight will be stainless.

In my video, someone else posted on the previous page, you can see my Beast brake runs about 14" of travel compared to 66" plus for no brake (max travel on the sled is 66"). If none of new tweaks improve things the new brake will be 12-13". Nothing I've seen or tested will touch it for pure recoil reduction, and I've tested nearly all of the top brakes including several that claim near 80% recoil reduction (which they don't come close to on magnums).

Been waiting for Nathan's new designs to be ready. Im confident they will be the gold standard to measure brakes by. Can't wait to try em and the tuner version.

You won't find a better or more honest Company to buy from than Harrell's Precision. I use their muzzle brakes and custom reloading dies. I have one of their reloading presses also. Give them a call.

Anyone wanting self timing with threaded top holes now can look at the APA Gen 3 Fat Bastard. Works great.

Anyone wanting self timing with threaded top holes now can look at the APA Gen 3 Fat Bastard. Works great.

The Gen 3 FB does work well. Set my iphone up and videoed the muzzle. Could see where the 5th ports open started pushing muzzle down - have to look very close to see it. Back to 4 sets open no push down. Currently using it on my Lapua.

Recent Posts