Muzzle brake recommendations for a 28 Nosler & .308

I like the APA Little Bastard or if you don't care about size, I'd go with the Fat Bastard for the 28 Nosler. I also like the Terminator brakes. Very similar to the APA's but cost more.

I think the Terminators look better, but that's just me.

The first brake I tried was a Vias.
Didn't like the way it kicked up dust from the ground and rust from the corrugated steel roof above at the shooting range.
Replaced it with a side port brake that was more effective at reducing recoil and directing the blast to the sides.

I'm glad you did not "vais" any time replacing it.

Area 419 Sidewinder. Best brake I have personally used. I have it on a 300winmag and it is an incredible brake.

I don't like vans brakes or any radial style brake. I have used a few of them and they don't do a very good job at reducing recoil compared to the angled port style brakes, and they make a mess if you shoot from the prone.

I have a Defcon 1 on my 300Wby and love it. It is made by Grizzly Gun Works out of Ontario Canada. It is a more rectangular looking brake but makes my 300 kick like a 22-250. He builds screw on and clamp on brakes I got the clamp due to small barrel diameter. A screw on brake is 200 Canadian so with exchange and our low Canadian dollar you should get a cheap brake. I have another brake of some sort on my 270WSM a 3 port but it does not compare to my Defcon 1.

I have the T3 Terminator brake on my 300 Weatherby Backcountry rifle and it's great to shoot now, not before the brake though. 2nd is the Fat Bastard brake on my 6.5 Creedmore with heavy proof research carbon barrel and it's very tame to shoot, and spot my shots on steel. 3rd I have the APA The Answer on my Nosler 28 liberty rifle and it's great with the adjustable set screws on top to tame the muzzle jump and I can spot my shots on steel also. Out of all these brakes I would fall back to the Fat bastard brake if I could outfit all my rifles again.

Attachments

• AE61AE98-0F98-4873-B514-43B93B2446DD.jpeg
    AE61AE98-0F98-4873-B514-43B93B2446DD.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 173
  • EC2E5849-CF8B-472A-B754-B1F548AB6C16.jpeg
    EC2E5849-CF8B-472A-B754-B1F548AB6C16.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 306
I have two Terminator brakes. A T2 and a T3. They have great performance and you have options to pick a size similar to your barrel contour if you don't want a big brake hanging off the end of it.

There are lots of comparison videos on youtube of terminator brakes with different calibres and tested against other brakes. Search terminator products. Link below is for various terminator brakes vs 21 other muzzle brakes and suppressors.

I got the T-3 on my 300 RUM, 338, and 7mm..... tames the recoil really well. I also like the APA brakes but I just like the way the Terminator brakes look. not sure how they will work on the smaller calibers though.

BGhunter338, have you used other brakes to compare to the Rokslide brakes?
Yes I have a viass brake on my 7 stw that I'm in the process of changing over and I have the boss brake in my browning 338 win. There's no comparison. These brakes are awesome.

These are the ones I'm using now. They work so well I have 5 of them LoL😉

I like those ones too 👍👍
Livetohunt makes great brakes. I compared one to a MBM brake, and a couple other side discharge brakes I have. The MBM has been a favorite of mine as far as recoil mitigation goes, and livetohunt's ran with it and at 1/3 less weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.