28 Nosler Rifle Recommendation

Stiller action, custom barrel (Bartlien IMHO), quality stock to your specs, Timney trigger, choose your brake, PTG bottom metal and Accuracy international magazines.

Save literally 2000$ piecing it together then have a quality smith assemble it

Make it the way YOU want it; and look the way YOU want it!!

Something really cool about owning a rifle that no one else in the world has a duplicate of!! Nothing else like it

I agree with this. I am piecing together a 28 nosler right now. Bighorn TL3, Proof CF Barrel, manners EH1 with CIP length mini chassis, arc rings, timney trigger, and smith work on the barrel is gonna come out under $4k. No need for bedding, just torque everything down, check head space and you're done. And even if you didn't feel comfortable assembling yourself, get your smith to do it for another couple of hundred bucks.

the moa rifles carbon extreme rifle is $6500. so for $2500+ under that price you can get a better stock, better barrel, great rings included in the cost, and have a switch barrel rifle.

I guess it's nice to be able to buy a turn key rifle like that, but man that's quite the premium to pay for a semi custom rifle.

I agree with this. I am piecing together a 28 nosler right now. Bighorn TL3, Proof CF Barrel, manners EH1 with CIP length mini chassis, arc rings, timney trigger, and smith work on the barrel is gonna come out under $4k. No need for bedding, just torque everything down, check head space and you're done. And even if you didn't feel comfortable assembling yourself, get your smith to do it for another couple of hundred bucks.

the moa rifles carbon extreme rifle is $6500. so for $2500+ under that price you can get a better stock, better barrel, great rings included in the cost, and have a switch barrel rifle.

I guess it's nice to be able to buy a turn key rifle like that, but man that's quite the premium to pay for a semi custom rifle.

I'm on the same page with you. The money people pay for a turn key rifle is insane. Look at the Gunwerks rifles, holy crap.

You will run the 195 from .005" to .020" off of the lands and run a bunch of R33 or Retumbo :).

It's crucial to make sure your chamber is long enough -
I'll pm you my exact load if you want it.
Some guys are running 570 now too I believe. I'm a fan of the Temp stable Hodgon powders so I stay with Retumbo. Heard a lot of great things about the R33 as well.

In the 180 VLD H1000 was awesome.

Yep, a lot of guys found that they got a lot more velocity out of R33 and N570 than retumbo, and said that retumbo hit pressure much sooner.
Ryan Pierce was running R33 but he said he had to clean the barrel every 50 shots because the powder didn't burn very clean, which is why he went to 570. I don't think he was the first to do it, but after he did it a lot more people followed.

Yep, a lot of guys found that they got a lot more velocity out of R33 and N570 than retumbo, and said that retumbo hit pressure much sooner.
Ryan Pierce was running R33 but he said he had to clean the barrel every 50 shots because the powder didn't burn very clean, which is why he went to 570. I don't think he was the first to do it, but after he did it a lot more people followed.

issue with RL33 is temperature stability. Retumbo is much more stable across temperature swings. Not a huge deal, but makes load development much easier if you are doing it in spring, summer, fall (warmer weather) and then hunting in the winter when its cold. One less thing to have to account for. I have no issue shooting retumbo at 3050 or so instead of RL33 at 3140 and not having to deal with velocity (and pressure) changes due to weather. I am not real familiar with N570, I don't think I've ever even seen it for sale in person anywhere.

Indeed it's uncommon to find, however I have seen it a few places.
I think the reason R33 is less temp stable is BECAUSE it doesn't burn clean. If something doesn't burn clean at 65° F then it's gonna burn less clean at low temps, less powder burning makes it essentially less of a charge than you put in the case. Then you get to a warmer day and it burns a little more clean, and you get high pressure because it's actually all burning.
Not much of an issue for me, although I don't have a 28 Nosler or rum yet (still haven't decided) all of my load development is done in the conditions I'm going to hunt in. I do my load development between 10 and 40 degrees normally because that's the temp when and where I hunt. Very rarely is it warmer or colder than that where I hunt, and when it is not in that range, it's usually colder and I run 3 rounds through the chrono at home before I leave if I haven't already tested at that temp to get an idea of velocity.
For rifles I hunt in a wide variety of conditions in, such as my coyote gun, then a stable powder is more essential for me.
Then again, I don't HAVE to do all this work to make a less stable powder work, but I find enjoyment in constantly tuning loads for different conditions and accuracy. And the more I reload, the more I shoot, the more I get used to the rifle and make the gun an extension of my body. When I first started reloading it was for 30-06 and I went straight to H4831 and after I found an accurate load (very quickly) I found I didn't need to tune anything. Well that's no fun! So I started using varying powders, different bullet weights, adjusting OAL, always trying to get more accurate.
I found after retrying some old "not as accurate" loads that they were just as accurate, but my abilities had gotten better as I shot more for load development.

Not everyone reloads for enjoyment, some out of necessity, some just for accuracy, but I reload because I enjoy it. And if a less stable powder gives me more energy at range, I'm likely to use it and just learn how much it changes in my gun (for example shooting rounds at various temps and writing in my ballistic charts "+- 23 FPS per 10° F")

A little off topic but ah well

Indeed it's uncommon to find, however I have seen it a few places.
I think the reason R33 is less temp stable is BECAUSE it doesn't burn clean. If something doesn't burn clean at 65° F then it's gonna burn less clean at low temps, less powder burning makes it essentially less of a charge than you put in the case. Then you get to a warmer day and it burns a little more clean, and you get high pressure because it's actually all burning.
Not much of an issue for me, although I don't have a 28 Nosler or rum yet (still haven't decided) all of my load development is done in the conditions I'm going to hunt in. I do my load development between 10 and 40 degrees normally because that's the temp when and where I hunt. Very rarely is it warmer or colder than that where I hunt, and when it is not in that range, it's usually colder and I run 3 rounds through the chrono at home before I leave if I haven't already tested at that temp to get an idea of velocity.
For rifles I hunt in a wide variety of conditions in, such as my coyote gun, then a stable powder is more essential for me.
Then again, I don't HAVE to do all this work to make a less stable powder work, but I find enjoyment in constantly tuning loads for different conditions and accuracy. And the more I reload, the more I shoot, the more I get used to the rifle and make the gun an extension of my body. When I first started reloading it was for 30-06 and I went straight to H4831 and after I found an accurate load (very quickly) I found I didn't need to tune anything. Well that's no fun! So I started using varying powders, different bullet weights, adjusting OAL, always trying to get more accurate.
I found after retrying some old "not as accurate" loads that they were just as accurate, but my abilities had gotten better as I shot more for load development.

Not everyone reloads for enjoyment, some out of necessity, some just for accuracy, but I reload because I enjoy it. And if a less stable powder gives me more energy at range, I'm likely to use it and just learn how much it changes in my gun (for example shooting rounds at various temps and writing in my ballistic charts "+- 23 FPS per 10° F")

A little off topic but ah well

You're doing it for all the right reasons!! Keep having fun and giving us great info.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.