Rifle Recommendation

timeless61

I wanted a recommendation, for a new rifle.

I have a Savage Model 12 VLP in 300 wsm, this rifle does not really serve much purpose anymore as I have another gun i use for long range.

this gun will not be used for long range really.

so i basically want a lighter weight, not necessarily ultra light rifle. basically a normal weight rifle, not a varmint profile.

I have some rifles I have been considering, they are:

Remington 700 sps
Remington 700 xcr
Tikka t3 lite
Thompson Center Venture
Browning A bolt
Winchester 70
Weatherby Vanguard

out of these, the Remington seems like a good option, but I have not been overly impressed with their quality lately.

Tikka I have heard good things, but I am not sure??

Thompson Center has accuracy guarantee, appears to be nice, not sure though

the Browning and Winchester I am not considering as much, but wanted input.

weatherby Vanguard I am not sure on either i do not know very much

I wanted opinions, I will get synthetic, 300 wsm or 300 win mag, quality and accuracy are important, also if a stock was not a "synthetic" and actual composite that is a plus,

any opinions or suggestions?

also ask anymore questions, realize this site is long range mainly, but an opinion may be offered for just regular use.

thanks

Every tikka have seen shoot well( under 1moa). Either caliber.

Weatherby vanguard seem to be great shooter. Under the 1moa if you realod. Got a fee friend that have one.

At the club i shoot tikka are more common thant remington for the new rifle. So that say it all. Remington are still good chose but sold mine to get something else..

My chose will be (in the order) tikka, vanguard and savage!!!

If not for long range have you consider lever action? I just like the Marlin 1895g in 45-70gv. Lot of knock down power at short range(100yrds to 200yrds if practice so). Got a bear with this kind of rifle and im now a fan!!

Winchester Model 70 would fit your needs pretty well in a stainless/composite combo or you can look at the aftermarket stocks if you want.

Mod 70's are underrated. I've owned five of them in various calibers and I can't remember one that didn't shoot 1 MOA with factory loads.

Out of the box they also come with one of the nicest fully adjustable triggers you can find and they can be bought used every day at 800.00 on down.

I'm actually thinking of doing something similar to what you describe here right now and I'm shopping for M70's for that purpose. I've got three nice LR rigs right now, what I lack is a nice sporter weight "deer rifle" so that's the way I'm going. I'll probably end up settling on a 7mm mag though.

As far as a lever gun, I want a bolt it still may be used out to 400 yards but not dedicated for long range. It may be used if I hunt out west.

How does the stock on a tikka t3 lite feel?

I am thinking it is between that and the Thompson center icon

Thanks in advance

You are talking new m70's correct? What kind of price range do they fall into? And again a plastic synthetic stock as opposed to an actual composite?

Sure that if you want to shoot out to 400yrds lever are far from the best.

For the stock on tikka t3 lite it feeling good to me. It prety lite so can kick a bit if your not use to it(in mag cal). A friend of mine have the butt pad replace and it feel now like shooting a 243. A other friend got a t3 lite in 300wsm for is wife, have a break on it and feel like a rim fire now!!

It a strong stock that you wont be efraid to bring in the wood.

Did not know anyone that have a thompson center icon. Will check to have info next time im at the club.

You are talking new m70's correct? What kind of price range do they fall into? And again a plastic synthetic stock as opposed to an actual composite?
I've looked at a bunch of them over the last few weeks priced anywhere from about 600 and up in rifles in very good to excellent condition. Yes they are plastic stocks essentially but then unless you want to go to a virgin or laminated wood stock is pretty much it for factory guns these days.

Of course there's a plethora of fiberglass/composite aftermarket stocks which, are the way to go anhyhow if you want something really nice that's "you".

The model 70 is beautiful and I would highly suggest it as well but a few of these guns are awesome!! Tikka is amazing but I'm not a fan of the stock, plus the light weight can really beat you up.

My personal choice out of them all is browning. All Brownings I have shot are great shooters, fit, feel and finish is all top quality. I use mine to 600 yards. Strongly recommend browning for a pure factory rifle. If your looking for semi custom then Remington and Winchester is the way to go

My vote would go to the Browning as well. I shoot a 7mm WSM in the Stainless Stalker X-Bolt. Rifle weighs 7lb 14oz with a 4.5-14 Zeiss Conquest. No rounds or sling with that weight. Shoots better than I thought it would.

I would go with the m70 Extreme weather. stainless, fluted, and comes with a Bell and Carlson stock for under the $1k mark. In the US its probably cheaper yet (im in Canada). I recommended this rifle to a freind and he bought one in 300 win. It is one heck of a rifle for the coin.

I will say that for a factory rifle, the brownings have top notch QC. I simply dont like the feel of them, and I feel the action is not as strong.

thanks for the replies everyone,

I do want it to be a lighter weight rifle, not somethign 5 lbs but 7.5 lbs would be about the most I want. it will be used when hunting bear around here, and sometimes deer from stands where I can shoot slightly further, but becuase I have a dedicated LR gun now, I will not shoot over 400 yards with it.

Synthetic or composite stock is a must, I basically do not want to care about scratches or anything, not that I will abuse the gun, but don't want to be mad or have to look for a place to set it or worry about it through brush.

thanks again.

how are the hogue overmolded stocks?

Sako or Weatherby MKV are out, as far as cost, for not a whole lot more than them I can buy a custom gun that is slightly used in 300 wsm. but I did not want to spend that much for this.

Ruger Hawkeye with the laminate stock would be great in 30-06 or 300 WSM. The laminates are tough and stable and I really like them. Yes they add some weight.

My son has a 300 WSM in a Winchester EW SS and we love it! Great rifle! I again would pick the 300 WSM or 30-06. I'd even go .280 Remington if they would chamber the darn thing!

Good luck!

I wanted a recommendation, for a new rifle.

I have a Savage Model 12 VLP in 300 wsm, this rifle does not really serve much purpose anymore as I have another gun i use for long range.

this gun will not be used for long range really.

so i basically want a lighter weight, not necessarily ultra light rifle. basically a normal weight rifle, not a varmint profile.

I have some rifles I have been considering, they are:

Remington 700 sps
Remington 700 xcr
Tikka t3 lite
Thompson Center Venture
Browning A bolt
Winchester 70
Weatherby Vanguard

out of these, the Remington seems like a good option, but I have not been overly impressed with their quality lately.

Tikka I have heard good things, but I am not sure??

Thompson Center has accuracy guarantee, appears to be nice, not sure though

the Browning and Winchester I am not considering as much, but wanted input.

weatherby Vanguard I am not sure on either i do not know very much

I wanted opinions, I will get synthetic, 300 wsm or 300 win mag, quality and accuracy are important, also if a stock was not a "synthetic" and actual composite that is a plus,

any opinions or suggestions?

also ask anymore questions, realize this site is long range mainly, but an opinion may be offered for just regular use.

thanks
I came across another you might want to consider adding to your list which is the Model 70 Coyote Light Winchester.

Basically they are a light varmint configuration on a nice fiberglass/composite skeltonized stock.

http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=10593542

The .325 wsm would be an ideal caliber for this application and the rifle should be able to meet both your wieght requirements as well as being capable of great accuracy as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts