Muzzle brake recommendations for a 28 Nosler & .308

kai

I'm looking for muzzle brake recommendations for a 28 Nosler and a .308 Win. bolt action hunting rifles.
The objective is to reduce recoil and muzzle jump to see the bullet impacts.
Both guns have carbon/stainess sendero contour barrels and can take up to a 3/4-24 thread.

For the 28 Nosler, I've looked at the Muscle Brakes and the MBM (Muzzle Brakes and More) lines of brakes. Both of these brands have several versions available. MBM is working on a TI brake which might go well with the carbon/stainless barrels.

My .308 barrel is only 18 inches long. The Precision Armament M4-72 brake seems to provide excellent recoil reduction but I'm wondering if the sharply angled ports would direct too much blast to the shooter from an 18 inch barrel.

I haven't used any angled ported brakes so I'm looking for comments and suggestions.

What muzzle brakes would you recommend for these guns?

Last edited:
I have the self timing beast from mbm. I'm shooting that in a 3 port a little bastard and another 2port Idk the name of all using the same load in a 6.5 creed. The beast affords far less effort to stay on target. I can see hits on 4x at 100yds from prone or a bench off my bipod. I can see hits from 150yds out at 14x. The other 2 I can see hits from 200yds and out. My beast is 1"od and the other 2 are contoured to I think .830 might be slightly less again I'd have to measure the one we still have in the shop. Also thise are mpa chassis rifles and my model 10. That is not in my rifle's favor in any way

Can't say enough great things about my APA little bastard brake. It on my 338 Lapua, and tames hot loads shooting 300grainers down to less than a 30.06.

Give them a gander, work great, and look amazing also !!

I'm hooked on APA brakes. I shot my 260 AI this weekend and easily spotted my hits at 1022 yds. I also had a 28 nos in 3b contour with micro bastard and it recoiled similar to a 25-06. It was a 9.5 lb rifle.

WTO mk2 on both my proof sendero barrels rifles. You can blend them to the barrel also so they look smooth. It was highly rated on the prs blog muzzle brake test.

Another vote for the APA line of breaks. Run a fat basterd on my 300NM and couldn't be happier with the recoil reduction.

For your 308, JP Competition Comp is one to consider.

I have a 16" 308 and ordered the Surefire so that later if I decide on a can it is already adaptable.

APS Pain Killer. I have not shot anything else that comes close. On my last personal build I bought a brake that I had heard good things about here on LRH because it was quickly available and less expensive. 5 ports, nice looking...It was terrible. That is the last time I mess with a different brake. This was on my 338 Lap imp. The first brake was like shooting a 300wm sporter un-braked. Re-braked with the PK and I can shoot it free recoil. I will let kids shoot this rifle now. I think there are a few brakes out there that are good and then there is the rest, better than nothing so people think they are effective. I will not spend my money again to experiment. You get what you pay for.

Steve

I have the APA little jimmy (discontinued) on a 21" barrel 6.5CM very pleasant to shoot. An small PK on a 13.5 lb 300AX. Recoil is like my youth model 243 with 80's. And a T3 Terminator on a 12lb 338lm. It kicks like a sporting weight (7-8lb) 270 win.
The PK is actually the smallest of the 3. The T3 is the most agggressive looking but bit long IMO but not bad.
No brake beats the T3 from what I've seen in pure recoil reduction for 338LM class cartridges and under.

Personally for what you have. I'd go with the small PK. It will easily take those two down maybe not quite as much as a T3 but Its not far behind it and again much smaller.

Thanks for the comments. I've looked into the painkiller brakes that have been mentioned. Unfortunately the small and medium PK brakes are not recommended for the large muzzle diameters of .914" and .972" for my Sendero barrels. The large PK is probably too big for the calibers I'm using.

The Precision Armament M4-72 would fit on my 18 inch .308 barrel with at .972 muzzle diameter. It has been rated very high in recoil reduction, but I'd like to know if it would direct too much muzzle blast and noise to the shooter.

Does anyone have experience with any specific MBM (Muzzle Brakes and More) brakes or the M4-72? I'd like to hear any comments on how they perform.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess the 5 port brake that didn't work well was a Muscle brake? I have one I use to test with and they are pretty bad at reducing recoil compared to others. They are good for the lack of concussion but not much else.

I'm not sure of the dimensions but a T2 should fit and look nice doubt it would need much tapering. I went with the Terminator T3 because it was far lighter/smaller than the fat bastard and overall better.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.