Moose and a griz

Speedo

In 2010 I got to see what can happen with a long range rifle in a hunting situation. After that trip was over and I was back home I decided to do some research to see what I could do to better my chances and extend my range in the field. That search led me to this site and a new found way to part with my money.

I decided that I would start with a rifle with some long range potential and ended up with a .338-.378 Weatherby Accumark that I picked up here at LRH. Well a rifle has to have some glass and I ended up with a NF 5.5-22 x 56. I've always been an off the shelf shooter and I've done quite well hunting that way but never been too pleased with bullet selection and accuracy, so now I've started reloading. It seems that some electronics is a good idea to get on target at longer ranges than I was used to shooting, ballistics program, lrf, chronograph, etc.

If you're going to be proficient at anything it takes some practice, now I'm a range safety officer at my local shooting range and I can go shoot there any time I want to. The Accumark is a pretty good shooter, I'm not sure how good it is but the two of us can do a 1/2" group at 100 yds. Since our local range only goes to 200 yds. currently I've shot a few rocks out to 900 yds.

Now it's time to put this new, to me, technology to use. I've been hunting moose for many years and my kids all grew up eating moose and caribou so for me moose is just something that you do in September. This year I'm taking my .375 H & H, My 300 RUM and my .338-.378 along with me.

Our travel time to our hunting camp takes 2 days of off roading and mid way through the second day we were moving through some Black Spruce when a young griz stuck its head out from behind a tree. Hadn't even made it to camp and I had a bear down.

A few days later I spotted a bull that looked like a good candidate so I went after him. I checked to make sure that I had everything that I need to make an accurate shot from any reasonable distance that I might encounter. After working my down through the trees I finally had him ranged at 504 yds. The only problem is that I couldn't see enough of him to make sure that he was legal because he was down in a little depression so I would have to get in closer, I finally shot him at about 75 yards! So much for my excursion into long range hunting.

Gus
1317105395_img_2222.jpg
1317105051_img_2158.jpg

Well Long Range or not you got what you went after and the family will eat well this winter while you get to look at your new trophies for years.

It's great to be prepared for LR opportunities when they present themselves but 99% of all Medium and large game IS shot at under 200 yds.

Great story, great hunt, and great results.

Don't feel alone on that distance of kill. My son had a rifle built, went through all the proper preparation and I think his first half dozen animals were taken at less than 100 yds.

Congratulations, I guess the main thing is to have a succesful hunt and to have the long range capability if you need it. Thanks for the story.

My story this week is worse than that. I spent quite a lot of time playing with different cartridges and bullets long range all summer. Then I backpacked into the high country with my bow and put an arrow through a big 6x6 herd bull at 35 yards Monday. All the effort with the long range rifles did pay off in Alaska though with some great long range shooting. Now back to long range rifles to fill some more tags.

I'm sure a 338 .378 Weatherby gun)will take care of a GRIZ since I killed a 1,000 lb. Brown in Alaska with a pointed stick.

joseph

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.