berger for moose and bear?

pretex

Hi.

I have a 30-06 that I use for lrh shooting, I use the 168 berger and run it at 2920 ftp.
I live in northern Europe(Scandinavian), I use the berger for small/big deers and fox's, I like alot It shoots nice out of my riffel groups 1.5moa at 200 yards. I just like to have it in my riffel when I am on hunts. Can shoot it no problem to 500 yards.
But have the opportunity's to go on moose hunt and bear hunts, it will be hunting with close to normal range's.

So my question is, can I use the berger for moose and bear hunts or should I go bonded?

The bergers will do the job just fine if you do yours on proper placement. 2 Montana black bear and 1 Montana moose never knew what hit them although they were 168 gr. out of a 280AI. Have seen almost a dozen elk taken with this same .284 bullet along with one sheep. I shot Nosler partitions for many years then went to the Barnes x bullet so I've seen quite a number of big game animals take a hit. My opinion is that the Berger VLD is the real deal - sure do like how they fly and to me that is the first important factor of a bullet.

Hi cowboy, thanks for the reply.

Sounds like they did the job for you, how about meat damage on the moose?

How far away did you shoot them?

Think proper shot placement goes for all bullets :)

As far as meat damage: The bergers from my experience have way less meat damage than the Nosler partitions. In comparing berger to barnes X bullets it depended on the distance. I had a lot of trouble with the X and triple X when things were shot at close range - they just went right thru with little or no expansion. Beyond 100 yds the X were fine on expansion. I do not consider the Bergers to be hard on meat damage. I also want to say that we bone everything right at the gut pile and do all our own meat processing and packaging. We have used the bergers exclusively now for 3 years and I have taken elk under 40 yds and antelope out to 750 yds. You do your job and I'm confident berger will do theirs.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts