Heavy hitting/light recoil elk/moose/griz rifle for the misses

Compromise is the Key

Let's see... a light recoil cartridge/rifle that will thump grizzlies. My first thought is - you can't get there from here. You will have to compromize. And since recoil is an overriding concern, leave out the large capacity cases. The 30-06 is a proven round, and though not ideal for griz - it can get the job done. I personally wouldn't attempt it without a back-up in a large mag caliber). Having said that, I really like the 35 Whelan. However, bullet selection in 35 is really limited...which brings me back to the .338-06. Great bullet selection, moderate powder charge (although efficient). You could even Ackley improve the case to get a little more umph! If that was still to big, then I would opt for the goood old .30-06.

Been away for a while and haven't had the time to reply. I'd like to say thanks to everyone for answering and sharing your opinions. I'm not sure when this project will happen, but after talking a few things over with both her and a few smiths, a plan of action has developed. Going to get her out and have her shoot what she can. She shot a 300wm this weekend, and although she complained about her shoulder being sore, she had no real problems while shooting. Plans are to get her out to shoot several other calibers once our hunting season is over, giving plenty of time for her to figure out what she wants. Once again, thanks to everyone for their time and opinion on this subject.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.