Advice on Moose Loads and Bullets

Shot my once in a lifetime ND moose with a 180 Partition out of a 300 Wby at 200 yards. Right in the boiler...behind the shoulder. Didn't react to the hit, just walked over a hill and died 75 yards away...complete pass through.

180gr nosler accubond, 180 ttsx or tsx are great bullets. The past year and this up coming im trying the 215 berger hybrids and hopefully get a shot this year. But have seen the nosler accubond multjple times on moose out of both my win mag and my brothers 300 wsm

I posted a thread last week and received a lot of great advice in regards to choosing a rifle adequate to take down an Alaskan Yukon Moose but would also work for hunting around the midwest.

As suggested by many, I decided to go with the Remington 700 XCR II 300 Win Mag. Now, I could use some help deciding the weights and choices of bullets. I will only be buying factory loads and will not be doing any reloading my self. So I ask:

What is the best bullet design, weight, and brand?
The heaviest bullet I can find locally is 180 grains. Do I need more?

Thanks a million!

Good choice for the rifle and a lot of good comments on bullet selection, one more thing that I would consider that no one has mentioned is that there are other critters to consider. If you're hunting in Alaska you're hunting in bear country. While the chances of needing to use your rifle to ward off a bear encounter are slim it is still a possibility. I have lived and hunted in Alaska for nearly 50 years and the only time I have been charged by bears is when I've had to go anchor a wounded bear that someone else had wounded, did that twice. One of my hunting partners did have to shoot a bear that charged and it dropped at his feet, that one was an interior griz that squared 8'. A well constructed bullet that will work on bears will do a nice job on moose. I personally like the 200 gr. Swift A-Frame.

Gus

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.