Maybe I don’t hate the 6.5 CM

My nephew was 2/2 this past season with his 6.5CM factory ELDX. His 1st and 2nd deer ever. I took the videos with my phone through the spotter. Range, 240 and 235 yards.

Dropped in their tracks! Impressive. That is how my 30 caliber rifles operate. I am looking forward to putting this 6.5 to work on an antelope this fall! It is going to get some work on pigs pretty soon.

Pretty easy to tune these things. I've got two distinct loads- one a nice easy paper and steel puncher and one that snorts a little. I swapped a new scope, went to the range and this is normal for a factory Rem 5R with ELD-M or X handloads-

Last edited:
FB_IMG_1644688416692.jpg

So, I have had a long term aversion to owning a 6.5 creedmoor but decided to give one a try. I trade for an almost new Bergara B14 Ridge. This rifle is well balanced and well put together as I would expect from Bergara. Mounted my Vortex Viper 4-16x44 HS LR and headed to the range after a quick bore sight. Took a few to dial it in but after 20 rounds, I am really overall impressed. Low recoil, tight groups, the trigger is amazing and it was just a pleasure to shoot from the bench. I have been a .308/30-06 fan for my whole life. I may have found my new favorite.
I agree with you. I fought hard not to join the Creed crowd for a long time, but when it came time to rebarrel my .243, my gunsmith (who happens to be a HOF benchrest shooter and highly respected gunsmith) talked me into going with the Creed. It shoots tiny groups and is a ton of fun to shoot. Get some RL26 and you can push the limits with it and 140 gr bullets. I got the 143 gr ELDX running 2954 fps with ragged hole groups, single digit ES, and no pressure. I got it over 3000 fps and ran out of case capacity before I found pressure. This load is only 50 fps slower than my 6.5-284 Norma with the same bullet!! So, with RL26, it puts the Creed on another level

So, I have had a long term aversion to owning a 6.5 creedmoor but decided to give one a try. I trade for an almost new Bergara B14 Ridge. This rifle is well balanced and well put together as I would expect from Bergara. Mounted my Vortex Viper 4-16x44 HS LR and headed to the range after a quick bore sight. Took a few to dial it in but after 20 rounds, I am really overall impressed. Low recoil, tight groups, the trigger is amazing and it was just a pleasure to shoot from the bench. I have been a .308/30-06 fan for my whole life. I may have found my new favorite.
Just call it a 6.5-250 Savage and you won't have to wear a man bun or be embarrassed every time someone asks what you're shooting.

People like to get overly fixated on the hype. Take it for what it is...a short action that will send a 140 between maybe 2750 and 2900 fps (which makes it a great deer gun to maybe 500-750 ish yds), is easy to tune, little recoil, and good factory/industry support. Nothing more and nothing less.

I have a 12 yr old and it was a perfect first gun caliber. Is it much different from the other SA, 473 bolt face, 6.5mm rounds? Not as far as animals can tell, and not materially as far as shooters can tell.

140 Berger EH, Lapua srp brass (neck sized) FGMM primers, 44.7 gr of RL-16.
That's a STOUT load for a 6.5 Creed. Lol. The Lapua SRP brass no doubt makes that possible. I actually recently picked some up for the very purpose of pushing an 18" 6.5CM to the max w/ 123 SMKs and 130 Sierra Game Changers.

That's a STOUT load for a 6.5 Creed. Lol. The Lapua SRP brass no doubt makes that possible. I actually recently picked some up for the very purpose of pushing an 18" 6.5CM to the max w/ 123 SMKs and 130 Sierra Game Changers.
Yes it is. No pressure signs though and ES -10 and SD-5. I ran the Alliant max (43.6) in Starline brass in another rifle same barrel length and got about the same velocity but sticky bolt and an occasional light ejector. I did back off this load when I got the first ejector swipe.