Magnetospeed vs labradar

Which one would you buy?

• Total voters
Got Labradar from this site. I am NOT happy with the product. Our gun club has a metal roof cover, I am not sure if that affects anything. I have to waste 4-5 round so the Labradar reads it. Then, when I do a load development, it registers an average 2 out of 3 shots, sometimes 1 out of 3.
Yesterday, I was trying subsonic loads for 300 BLK and nothing, not a one shot out of 100 rounds.
Also, if these is someone sitting beside me on another bench (maybe 10' away) with a magnum, it register is making a mess. So I would not give it even one star. Does anyone have a similar experience?

I am in the market for a new chronograph and I was wanting to get some opinions of people that own or have experience with the Magnetospeed and the LabRadar chronographs. Needs some opinions with pros and cons for each. I currently have the pro chrono with the digital upgrade to connect directly to my laptop while at the range.

So I had both systems for a number of years and found myself using the Magnetospeed more frequently because it was faster for me to setup. That being the case, I just sold my LabRadar about two months ago. And as Murphy's law would have it I now find myself shooting a lot of all copper Bullets, which the Magnetospeed does not pick up well. Bummer.

Sorry to hear the Labradar is not working for you. I am a new user, myself, and I found it took some experimentation to properly locate the Labaradar microphone in relation to the muzzle to get it to trigger. Then I found out I had the wrong type of SD memory card in the unit, which locked it up until I removed it. Once I had these two issues sorted out, the unit worked flawlessly, and was a pleasure to use.

The roof at my range is sheet of plywood. Unless it is some unusual configuration which the labradar could "see", I don't think a metal roof would impede operation.

For me, the Labradar microphone had to be within just a few inches to the side, and a few inches behind the muzzle to trigger, but, once there it triggered each and every time.

My suggestion would be to re-read the manual to make sure you are following the instructions. It took me a few reads to get all the details of operation. Then, if that doesn't work, I'd have a chat with the folks at Labradar to see what they had to say. If it still doesn't work after that, then the unit is defective and should be returned.

I gotta say, once I had it figured out, the Labradar is very easy to use, and way better than a chronograph.

Last edited:
I had got a labradar too, it would not read, tried very thing I could think of from every thing I had read or watched on it and nothing. It would not even return to main menu after you had armed it and it had timed out of armed mode. I think it was defective, so sent it back. I got a Caldwell chronograph, it should do fine for me as long as I don't shoot it.

I have a LabRadar as well. I love it and it has triggered every time flawlessly. It has features to help with the "next lanes/bench over at the range". There are some sensitivity/channel settings and a setup that must be followed each time when that occurs. I belong to a range with a metal roof and I don't have my issues with readings. I have owned several different optical chronographs in the past and they served their purpose but with many problems associated and limitations of when you could you use them during the day. The LabRadar is far superior in my opinion with reliability and consistency and that is the reason I will never go back to the optical chronos.

I have both, now. I've had the LR longer than the MS. That said, I like the easy setup of the MS. The LR is a pain when shooting different calibers during load development at the same time - shoot group, put that rifle in rack to cool, change caliber/bullet weight for next gun, shoot group, so on and so forth. To be honest, I've only used the MS a few times now. I've shot both side by side with the same caliber, and they are within a few FPS of each other as others have stated. I've had lots of misreads and errors on the LR. None yet on the MS.

Thx to everyone so far in their response. I have to ask a poi question about the Magnetospeed......I know the poi changes from zero when you are using the Magnetospeed, but has anyone found that even though it changes that it still holds its group both vertically and horizontally? I don't mind it changing but I would like to see how well the group holds as well as the velocity data. I utilize both the ladder load development and the ocw load development. I sometimes do a combination or my own "hybrid" load development that utilizes both.
Hello!

The POI does NOT change at all...if you use the graphite quick mount system!! I use it all the time on my 6.5 PRC! It works on any rifle with a bottom side Picatinny Rail.

Excellent!!

No setup hassle.

Check it out!

For those that are having problems, get the air gun trigger. Since I got that, it picks up every time. I had problems with subs also, no more. The only complaint is that it picks up other shooters, and you will have to delete their shots. Wish I had the air gun trigger initially.

Hello!

The POI does NOT change at all...if you use the graphite quick mount system!! I use it all the time on my 6.5 PRC! It works on any rifle with a bottom side Picatinny Rail.

Excellent!!

No setup hassle.

Check it out!

Paul, I looked at that but it appears you have to have a rail on the front bottom of your rifle right were the benchrest bag goes..

Is there anyway to use it with a plain old wood stocked M70 ? Thanks.

Thx to everyone so far in their response. I have to ask a poi question about the Magnetospeed......I know the poi changes from zero when you are using the Magnetospeed, but has anyone found that even though it changes that it still holds its group both vertically and horizontally? I don't mind it changing but I would like to see how well the group holds as well as the velocity data. I utilize both the ladder load development and the ocw load development. I sometimes do a combination or my own "hybrid" load development that utilizes both.
I haven't read all 6 pages so sorry if this has already been addressed, but if you add a Wiser or an MK Machine MagnetoSpeed mount to your rifle you can get away from a direct barrel mount and avoid any and all POI shift. I just got the Wiser mount yesterday and will take it to the range tomorrow to put it through its paces.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.