Magnetospeed vs labradar

Which one would you buy?

• Total voters
Finally I arrived with a mount that needs no adjustment when I move from rifle to rifle using the MagnetoSpeed. The extra aluminum bar and the assorted spacers are no longer necessary for any of my rifles, but illustrate adjustment is possible easily enough.

Attachments

• IMG_4886.JPG
    IMG_4886.JPG
    962.8 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_4890.JPG
    IMG_4890.JPG
    544.3 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_4892.JPG
    IMG_4892.JPG
    405.4 KB · Views: 566
So you simultaneously use one spacer on top and one on the bottom? I agree that you have to keep an eye on things, but if you use both spacers at the same time, it works a lot better.
Yah and the rubber strap when using a can, which was the most secure. Messed around a bit with the threaded tightener deal on the strap clamp as well. Both the ms and Labradar units that I use are work owned so I don't really have any skin in the game. The labradar has a horrible ui. I hear the app helps but I haven't gotten around to using it yet.

I initially started out with a Caldwell Chrony F1 Master Chronograph. It didn't do so well in cloudy and wet Pacific Northwest and it was a pain at the range to setup as I had to wait until the range went cold to setup. When looking for a replacement I looked into both the Magneto Speed and Labradar. I didn't like putting anything on my barrel as it would impact my POI. I also liked that the Labradar would give me velocity readings out to 100 plus yards with the larger caliber bullets. My cousin and I both shoot Montana Rifle Company X2 338 Rums and we consistently get readings out to 100 yards and some out to 125 yards. We do have muzzle brakes on our rifles, so there were issues initially with that and Labradar not recording readings. I contacted the company and they sent me some figures showing how I should set it up with large caliber rifles and muzzle brakes. It has been working great ever sense then. Easy to transfer data from Labradar to your computer. I don't use it for shooting in the prone position for the reasons stated in this forum. If I want to check the load in the field for the given elevation, temperature, and humidity, I will setup my shooting bench on a landing and place my Labradar on the bench. Then I can use this information to take shots from any situation I want while out target practicing. I don't like using two different pieces of equipment as I don't want to wonder or consider the small errors between them. You might want to check out this LRH forum started in May 2018

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/calculating-bc-with-labradar-it-works.202475/

I am in the market for a new chronograph and I was wanting to get some opinions of people that own or have experience with the Magnetospeed and the LabRadar chronographs. Needs some opinions with pros and cons for each. I currently have the pro chrono with the digital upgrade to connect directly to my laptop while at the range.

I have both. I have used both. One of the issues that I have had with LR is the idea that you have to have a clean range. Where i do most of my shooting is on a 100 yard range with a lot of steel targets down range. We have had issues with the lab radar missing shots. There is a youtube video out there where they poster is having similar issues with leaves and surrounding trees. We haven't had any issues out of the MS. Both have worked well in other places.

If I had the money (I don't) I would sell my Pact in a heartbeat. I've had the Pact since the early 90's and until recently, it's been a real love-hate relationship. When it works, it's great. When it doesn't it can drive a guy to drink! It's been back to shop twice. The first time there wasn't much change. I upgraded to the IR setup in 2014 but it never worked in IR. Now I know the sun angle has an effect but sometimes just switching bullets, such as going from 130 to 150's, would make me crazy when it would read the 130's but not the 150's! I've painted bullets, tried all kinds of light setups and generally pulled my hair out at different times. It's very frustrating to have it read just 2 or 3 of the five rounds i loaded, especially when using those really expensive bullets! I finally got fed up when it randomly started counting up shots as soon as it was plugged in last year. I got it back from Pact (they now charge $20 for this) but they returned a brand new unit to me, which has worked perfectly since then - around 800 shots! Plus the IR now works, too. The sun angle is still critical and I can generally only shoot from around 12.30p to 3p but then I'm surrounded by tall trees so it's not the Pacts fault. So we're in a good place right now but if it screws up again, I will do the one thing I've come sooooo close to doing so many, many times in the past... shoot the durn thing! Then bite the bullet and get the Labradar unit. The other unit (MS) might also be an option, since I rarely test accuracy & velocity at the same time, although with both units it would now be possible. Although I often swap from rifle to hand gun and back again, so I think the LR would be the preferred unit.
Cheers,
crkckr

I am in the market for a new chronograph and I was wanting to get some opinions of people that own or have experience with the Magnetospeed and the LabRadar chronographs. Needs some opinions with pros and cons for each. I currently have the pro chrono with the digital upgrade to connect directly to my laptop while at the range.
I have the magneto speed. I do all my load work without it then when I have a great group I check speed and sd.
Like stated above you can also get very predictable Poo with it. So you could do load work with it on.

I own both, lab radar is without a doubt the best. You don't have to mess with fastening anything to the barrel and it works well with a muzzle brake

Still nothing definitive that I can find about LabRadar's ability to pick up small caliber, high velocity bullets. The LabRadar distributor told me it has not been tested over 3900fps; furthermore he tried it on his HMR and said it picked up "most of the shots" . Most of the shots is not acceptable. Based on that I bought a Sporter Magneto Speed for temporary use until I could find out if LabRadar will meet my needs (20 cal at 4000+ fps) but I have had such an excellent experience with the Sporter I don't think I am going to buy LabRadar. The Sporter model has picked up 100% of the shots I have run through it and has not influenced POI nor group size on my bull barrels. It takes mere seconds to set up and travels tiny.

Still nothing definitive that I can find about LabRadar's ability to pick up small caliber, high velocity bullets. The LabRadar distributor told me it has not been tested over 3900fps; furthermore he tried it on his HMR and said it picked up "most of the shots" . Most of the shots is not acceptable. Based on that I bought a Sporter Magneto Speed for temporary use until I could find out if LabRadar will meet my needs (20 cal at 4000+ fps) but I have had such an excellent experience with the Sporter I don't think I am going to buy LabRadar. The Sporter model has picked up 100% of the shots I have run through it and has not influenced POI nor group size on my bull barrels. It takes mere seconds to set up and travels tiny.

Lab radar max velocity is 3900 fps.

Is that a definitive number? I know they said it hadn't been tested above that but has anyone tried? Once I get my CheetaH rebarreled, it's going to be a bit over that limit... at least, it should be! I'm not sure what the limit is on the Pact but I have asked. I may be stuck with the Pact or the MS. Reliability is the #1 thorn in my side but the new Pact XP replacement I just got a couple of months ago, disregarding the time of day issue, has worked perfectly... so far! Time will tell but I'm at least hopeful.
Cheets,
crkckr

Labradar with base etc is like $650. A Magneto Speed Sporter is $180.
Labradar weight is about 4 lbs. A Magneto Speed weighs about 1/2 lb and fits in your range bag.
Both provide accurate bullet speed, ES, SD, and average speed.
I like to use the Magneto Speed every now and then when out practicing in the field. It is hard to set up a Labrador in awkward uneven terrain or if you point the rifle in a different direction then you have to move the Labradar again.
I'm not holding my labradar when I shoot or hiking to the range two miles so weight is not an issue!!

UPDATE.....Thx to everyone's response and opinions!! I decided and purchased the LabRadar and I absolutely LOVE it so far. Very consistent and easy setup. I also love the Bluetooth update with the app. I have an IPad and IPhone that communicates very well with the device which allows me to arm and disarm, change strings etc. One of the main reasons but not the only reason I went with the LabRadar is the additional readings I can get down range and that there is not any effect on poi. That allows me to have the confidence and option, if I choose, to do OCW and ladder testing in combination at the same time. Thanks again and HAPPY SHOOTING!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.