Magnetospeed vs labradar

Which one would you buy?

• Total voters
Labradar for me. I use it every time I go shoot. Doesn't change point of impact and I have so much more data on all my rifles now in various weather conditions bc it can literally be set up in less than 2 minutes.

I have both. The LabRadar can be a bit finicky, doesn't like big brakes much. The MS causes a POI difference. I have not really seriously tried group shooting to see difference with it on vs off. The LR can take some time to get setup properly to get good reads, and can be blown off the mark by a Brake on a big gun. (Mine does NOT like my .300 Win Mag). Each has its pluses, and each has its negatives. I'd say see if you can use one of each from someone, go through setting up different calibers on the LR, that can be a pain especially if your load testing multiple guns at one range outing. (I shoot one, let it cool, and shoot the other while the one is cooling). Both are accurate.
Just my .02

It's all about budget and how you develop loads. I have magnetospeed for its simplicity and cost. I would love to have the Lab radar so I could properly do accuracy testing without something hanging off barrel. Magnetospeed is adequate to get your mv data to plug into your Ballistic calendar.

Wasn't going to comment here because I've never used or even seen a LR. However, there's been several arguments downing the MS due the barrel attach task as well as the potential for POI shift. I've had the V2 since it came out--got it from Len--and the first time I used it was at -44 (February in the Arctic) and I pre-mounted everything to limit the bare handed chores, etc. Only fired three shots to check the unit and my enthusiasm. The former proved true; the latter I've never been able to shake. Just knew I wouldn't like the belt on barrel bayonet so began building mounts that were more secure, maintained consistency, and had absolutely no effect/affect on POI. Only once did I have trouble and it was my own fault. Shooting in winter again and without the preparedness earlier mentioned proved once again that haste makes waste and atomized the bayo's end.
Long story short; I planned to market my mount gizmos, but soon learned that there are other "remote" mounts commercially available and there's even a Facebook group dedicated to the MagnetoSpeed. These units are quality serviceable affairs that produce consistent reliability. I have no intentions of divorcing my MS, but someday I might fall prey to that earlier mentioned enthusiasm and get the LR.

I am in the market for a new chronograph and I was wanting to get some opinions of people that own or have experience with the Magnetospeed and the LabRadar chronographs. Needs some opinions with pros and cons for each. I currently have the pro chrono with the digital upgrade to connect directly to my laptop while at the range.
I own both and I perfer the Labradar. The Magenetospeed has a fatal flaw in that (1) mistake in setting up the bayonet and you have a complete failure. (1) failed installation now puts you above the cost of a LabRadar. If you shoot at a public range save your time and money and get a LabRadar. Update: I also have breaks on big rifles and you can adjust the Lab to compensate. Try putting the bayonet on a big break?

Midwayusa has the Magneto Speed Sporter for $179.99

I am still using my MagnetoSpeed Gen 1 with no issues, Mine is still attached to the barrel but have seen some attached to shooting rests. That makes it easy to switch guns and does not interfere with your groups.

I do see a few guys at the range have the LabRadar units but most paid $650 by the time they got the base, etc.

Wasn't going to comment here because I've never used or even seen a LR. However, there's been several arguments downing the MS due the barrel attach task as well as the potential for POI shift. I've had the V2 since it came out--got it from Len--and the first time I used it was at -44 (February in the Arctic) and I pre-mounted everything to limit the bare handed chores, etc. Only fired three shots to check the unit and my enthusiasm. The former proved true; the latter I've never been able to shake. Just knew I wouldn't like the belt on barrel bayonet so began building mounts that were more secure, maintained consistency, and had absolutely no effect/affect on POI. Only once did I have trouble and it was my own fault. Shooting in winter again and without the preparedness earlier mentioned proved once again that haste makes waste and atomized the bayo's end.
Long story short; I planned to market my mount gizmos, but soon learned that there are other "remote" mounts commercially available and there's even a Facebook group dedicated to the MagnetoSpeed. These units are quality serviceable affairs that produce consistent reliability. I have no intentions of divorcing my MS, but someday I might fall prey to that earlier mentioned enthusiasm and get the LR.
MK Maching makes a product that cantilevers off of a pic rail. You don't have to use the belt then. I always found the belt to loosen up pretty bad after a couple of shots. It is worse with skinny tapered barrels.

I've been looking at purchasing a MS and the only way I would use it is if I could develop a picatinny mount for my bolt action rifle. I do not want to attach it to the barrel. I'm currently researching options but I am close to pulling the trigger on a MS sporter.

MK Maching makes a product that cantilevers off of a pic rail. You don't have to use the belt then. I always found the belt to loosen up pretty bad after a couple of shots. It is worse with skinny tapered barrels.

There is a simple cure for this. The MS comes with two different sized spacers for small and large diameter barrels. Put the one not currently being used on the bottom on the top and then cinch the belt. No more slipping. It's is a wonder that MS does not recommend this in the directions.

I have brakes on all my rifles and never have a problem with the LAbradar I don't set the unit up as described in the book. Move the unit back to mid barrel or a little further for more rear angled brakes like a hellfire and never have an issue.

There is a simple cure for this. The MS comes with two different sized spacers for small and large diameter barrels. Put the one not currently being used on the bottom on the top and then cinch the belt. No more slipping. It's is a wonder that MS does not recommend this in the directions.
I've used the different sized spacers. For real pencil barrels though I feel like it's still not a good solution. The taper will also make the whole system slide forward and loosen over time as well. If I pay attention I can just tighten it every couple of shots and it's not a problem. The system definitely works better with a larger diameter can on the front end.

I've used the different sized spacers. For real pencil barrels though I feel like it's still not a good solution. The taper will also make the whole system slide forward and loosen over time as well. If I pay attention I can just tighten it every couple of shots and it's not a problem. The system definitely works better with a larger diameter can on the front end.
So you simultaneously use one spacer on top and one on the bottom? I agree that you have to keep an eye on things, but if you use both spacers at the same time, it works a lot better.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.