Magnetospeed v3 vs labradar

Kelly1278

I currently have a magnetospeed sporter and it isn't working with my guns with muzzle breaks I guess the brake is to long and i cant get the bayonet positioned correctly i tried scooting it where it needs to be and strap partially covered one of the holes and when i shot it tore part of the strap so im considering a v3 and A labradar and would like some advice from some who use them . Wasn't sure where to post this

You might look at the Wiser Precision or Master Piece Arms bayonet style mount for your Magnetospeed. Both will cost about $100 and keep you well under the cost of a V3 or Labradar.

I currently have a magnetospeed sporter and it isn't working with my guns with muzzle breaks I guess the brake is to long and i cant get the bayonet positioned correctly i tried scooting it where it needs to be and strap partially covered one of the holes and when i shot it tore part of the strap so im considering a v3 and A labradar and would like some advice from some who use them . Wasn't sure where to post this

Post a pic of it mounted. I seriously doubt it is due to your brake length. I use the sporter on many braked rifles. Most likely you don't have the correct spacer. The V3 will not fix your issue. The Labradar is a great piece of gear and I prefer it but it is way more money and not without its own quirks.

I tried both spacers . Ran a cleaning rod out to make sure it was sitting correctly still get the error 2 message . I have to do something because when it tore strap it also broke the plastic on side of it . I tried it with 2 different barrel profiles a #4 brux and a proof sendero light

I am very happy with the lab radar. I also have the magneto speed spotter. Once you find the correct settings on the lab radar for the environment you are shooting in it is very consistent and accurate at recording shot strings with out any interference with barrel harmonics. We often work with two or more rifles and switch between them during load development so it is much easier than removing a device and installing it every 5 to 10 rounds.

Just curious, how long is this break or can you post a pic of the bayonet mounted on it...?

LabRadar works fine with brakes most of the rifles that I shoot much have brakes. I just set the LabRadar in front of the muzzle so the side blast don't shake the chrono. All info is reccorded on a SD card very convenient for data analyzing latter.

I have the V3 and shoot a Terminator Break with no problems - other than I forgot to secure the loose end of the strap once and completely cut the end off! LOL

I've shot with the lab radar and it will miss a shot occasionally, which I've never had with my V3. That said, most of the precision shooters I hang with use the Lab Radar because it will work during shoots without disturbing harmonics. Since I'm developing hunting loads my only need is during load development so the V3 is my choice.

I have both the CALDWELL BALLISTIC PRECISION CHRONOGRAPH and the CHRONY MASTER CHRONOGRAPH. The two things I don't like about them is they tend to miss capturing the bullet speed (ERR) and they have to be absolutely level and parallel with the barrel or they will give false velocities. For these reasons I was considering getting a Labradar. (Expensive) Is the Magnetospeed just as accurate for muzzle velocity only work? Are there other issues with it?

I have both the CALDWELL BALLISTIC PRECISION CHRONOGRAPH and the CHRONY MASTER CHRONOGRAPH. The two things I don't like about them is they tend to miss capturing the bullet speed (ERR) and they have to be absolutely level and parallel with the barrel or they will give false velocities. For these reasons I was considering getting a Labradar. (Expensive) Is the Magnetospeed just as accurate for muzzle velocity only work? Are there other issues with it?
Yes the Magnetospeed V3 is just a accurate, has less misses than the Labradar. The only issue - and it is a big one - the Magneto will affect your point of impact because the weight changes the harmonics of the barrel.

If that's no biggie to you then save your money. If you would like constant reporting as you shoot, or would like to measure your velocity down range (I believe this is possible) the Labradar is a good choice.

If I owned a labradar I would load 12 rounds to shoot two 5 shot strings.

Ok i may give it a try i had just heard that they didnt work well with muzzle brakes is that true or false ?
False....my lab radar works very well and every barrel I have tested has a brake. I did adjust the settings and entered all the details in the set up menu. I found having the muzzle slightly behind the unit (towards shooter) works best. This keeps the gasses leaving the angled side ports from interfering with the radar signal. It may take a few shots to get it set up the first time you try it and the same is true with the magnetto.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.