Magnetospeed vs labradar

Which one would you buy?

• Total voters

lkylemoore

I am in the market for a new chronograph and I was wanting to get some opinions of people that own or have experience with the Magnetospeed and the LabRadar chronographs. Needs some opinions with pros and cons for each. I currently have the pro chrono with the digital upgrade to connect directly to my laptop while at the range.

I have only recently decided to get the LabRadar for the following reasons;
1) Don't have to attach to my gun. Not that I'm against but not having to do it seems a little more user friendly.
2) I also will reload for handguns and non that I will reload for have the lower picatinney rail.
3) I'm also going to bow hunt this year.

Besides the cost difference, which I agree is quite a bit. But I think I will just be better served with the LabRadar. Those were the reasons for me, I hope it helps.

Well I have 2 Magneto Speed so I'm gonna get around to a LabRadar. The LabRadar has a few more functions that are pretty useful and it's has a phone app now, like the Magneto Speed.
The Magneto Speed's POI when on your barrel very predictable/repeatable and a lame argument to the contrary.

Last edited:
Labradar with base etc is like $650. A Magneto Speed Sporter is $180.
Labradar weight is about 4 lbs. A Magneto Speed weighs about 1/2 lb and fits in your range bag.
Both provide accurate bullet speed, ES, SD, and average speed.
I like to use the Magneto Speed every now and then when out practicing in the field. It is hard to set up a Labrador in awkward uneven terrain or if you point the rifle in a different direction then you have to move the Labradar again.

I have used both and as barrelnut mentioned it can be a pain to setup labradar in the field. I also found that its also a pain to setup when running a can all the time. I love the magnetospeed V3. I hardly noticed any shift with on or off as I always have it attached to my can and not directly to the barrel. And I know well the can is still attached to the barrel but it seems to have less effect on shift than when I used to not run cans on everything. Both will serve you well, I think there is just a little learning curve to the labradar.

Labradar with base etc is like $650. A Magneto Speed Sporter is $180.
Labradar weight is about 4 lbs. A Magneto Speed weighs about 1/2 lb and fits in your range bag.
Both provide accurate bullet speed, ES, SD, and average speed.
I like to use the Magneto Speed every now and then when out practicing in the field. It is hard to set up a Labrador in awkward uneven terrain or if you point the rifle in a different direction then you have to move the Labradar again.

Where u find the ms sportier for 180?

Can you give some reasons as to why you felt the LabRadar better enough to get rid of your magneto.
One of the main purposes I use a chronograph is for load development, specifically I shoot long distance ladders (600-1000 yards). What I'm looking for is not only a flat spot on the velocity curve, but a favorable node that gives the tightest vertical spread at distance (they won't always correlate or be the exact same). With the magneto, I couldn't check for vertical spread at distance with it strapped onto my barrel. With the LabRadar I can set it up and shoot away, during testing, practice or even during a match.
I ran both chronographs side-by-side initially and they were always within 10 ft./s with each other so I trust them both.

keep an eye on brownell's. periodically they have the labradar on sale and also do their 10% thing on top of that, and free ship.

I have the magneto speed. I do all my load work without it then when I have a great group I check speed and sd.
Like stated above you can also get very predictable Poo with it. So you could do load work with it on.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.