Magnetospeed vs labradar

Which one would you buy?

• Total voters
It's six one half dozen the other, I've used the Labradar and like it and I've cursed it, never have I had an issue with my Mag speed. I use a lot of brakes and they screw with Labradar and are zero issues with the Mag speed. Also the Mag speed just plugs and plays and I've never seen misses and when using the Labradar it was finicky. I like to shoot prone and anything moving around the Labradar has caused issues, catching smaller bullets has been spotty with the Labradar.

Thx to everyone so far in their response. I have to ask a poi question about the Magnetospeed......I know the poi changes from zero when you are using the Magnetospeed, but has anyone found that even though it changes that it still holds its group both vertically and horizontally? I don't mind it changing but I would like to see how well the group holds as well as the velocity data. I utilize both the ladder load development and the ocw load development. I sometimes do a combination or my own "hybrid" load development that utilizes both.

Thanks for posting this as I'm in the market for a new Chrono. Currently, I'm using a Pro-Chrono, had it for years, haven't shot it yet!! It is a pain to set up, line up perfectly. It also eats 9 volt batteries like skittles if you leave the batteries in...

SO, all my testing is done off a solid bench which can be a problem with the Labradar, it will sometimes pick up the shots from shooters next to me. ITS BIG, takes up a ton of room, In my opinion, its for a professional (type) volume, shooter, reloader, etc.

I like the Magnetto for ease of set up, accurate readings, LIGHTWEIGHT, small package. After testing and finding my "load", I would ALWAYS double check POI before going hunting.

following for more info

I am in the market for a new chronograph and I was wanting to get some opinions of people that own or have experience with the Magnetospeed and the LabRadar chronographs. Needs some opinions with pros and cons for each. I currently have the pro chrono with the digital upgrade to connect directly to my laptop while at the range.

I've owned both for a number of years and just recently sold my Labradar. I mainly shoot suppressed and although I had the optional mike for the Labradar, I still found it rather a pain to setup. For me it was just simpler and quicker to setup the Magnetospeed. Both appeared to give accurate readings and like another member replied, I really only used a chronograph for load development and ballistic profile setup. Both are excellent units, just my personal preference.

I don't know if you saw the following youtube video where the fella purchased both and reviews them.

I don't know if it is appropriate to link to videos on this forum so if not (and the video is removed); copy/paste the following into youtube search: Labradar Vs. MagnetoSpeed Chronographs (1)

The cliffnotes version: He liked both units but he decided to keep the Labradar because he didn't like the POI shift with the MS.

0F695B7F-831E-4212-899A-15D37DA6E29F.jpeg
With a suppressor, do you attach it to the barrel like normal?
Attaches on the suppressor just like the end of the barrel

I don't have a Magnetospeed, but I do have the LabRadar which I absolutely love! Like others have mentioned, I don't like the idea of attaching something to the barrel.

I've had zero issues with the LabRadar. What's nice is that I can shoot my rifles for awhile and then easily and quickly move over to the handgun range and setup the LabRadar with just a few pushes of some buttons. The SD card stores all the data which I can later analyze and annotate in Microsoft Excel.

The only thing I found is that it does get a little finicky when using it at its low end temperature operating range (14 deg F). Living in eastern WA it obviously gets cold in the winters when I like to do my load development for hunting. However, I learned having fresh batteries or a full charge on their battery back when its really cold helps limit any problems. No problems at all in the summer when the temp is in the 90's.

One of the main purposes I use a chronograph is for load development, specifically I shoot long distance ladders (600-1000 yards). What I'm looking for is not only a flat spot on the velocity curve, but a favorable node that gives the tightest vertical spread at distance (they won't always correlate or be the exact same). With the magneto, I couldn't check for vertical spread at distance with it strapped onto my barrel. With the LabRadar I can set it up and shoot away, during testing, practice or even during a match.
I ran both chronographs side-by-side initially and they were always within 10 ft./s with each other so I trust them both.
This is exactly my reasoning. I've used the MS for 4 or 5 years now and its been great. But its an added variable thats extremely difficult to quantify. I want NOTHING touching my barrel besides barrel and a can. That said... I still have the magnetospeed and havent bought a lab radar yet cuz of the price lmao. But it drives me nuts to have to attach something to the barrel. Still a million times better than screens though!

L
I voted for Magnetospeed because it is accurate, reliable and inexpensive. The only time I use a chrono is during load development. So, to own an expensive unit for my limited use is not cost effective in my case.
I am in the market for a new chronograph and I was wanting to get some opinions of people that own or have experience with the Magnetospeed and the LabRadar chronographs. Needs some opinions with pros and cons for each. I currently have the pro chrono with the digital upgrade to connect directly to my laptop while at the range.
I like my Magneto Speed a lot. Like others, I only use it for load development but I've been pleased with the results. Set up properly, it's pretty fool proof. I've never used the Lab Radar so I'm really not familiar with it. I think
I paid around $450 for my magneto Speed a couple years ago. I was very impressed with the magneto Speed customer service when I called with a couple questions. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. They also sent me some spare parts that I ordered in a very short time. Haven't needed the parts yet but it's only a matter of time until I lose the originals and need them The storage / carrying case for the MagnetoSpeed is very nice as well. Anyway, that's my vote.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.