Made in the USA important to you?

I have found myself over the last couple years putting heavy emphasis on whether or not something is made in the US when making a decision to purchase something, especially firearms related. Its why I went with a versamax over an SBE 2 a few years ago. The most recent example was going with a VX6HD over an NX8 (made in Japan). I am not perfect at it and I also want something of quality and reliable. I didn't use to care and never even considered the country of origin, I am now in my late 30's and somewhere along the way it started to matter to me. Just curious if any of you out there take that into consideration when making purchases?

I will buy American when I can when purchasing new items especially with firearms and glass.

I sure wish the American pride was still here. Most good old companies have sold out to profits over quality mega companies, it's hard to get honest quality US goods. It sucks. If it's a grass roots US company I'll happily support them. I won't buy US just for the sake of it. I love my Austrian firearms and jap scopes.... I bought a new Ram pickup, is that US? Profits stay here?, very little. We're a global market.. Like it or not.

The growth of globalism as a political ideal is killing pride in America.

From where I am sitting which happens to be 6500 miles from your nearest shore I feel that you Americans can still hold you head up high! When I look in my gun safes I see Cooper, Winchester, Remington and Ruger rifles. My reloading area is adorned with products made in the USA, presses, powder measures, trimmers and dies. No one makes reloading gear like the the USA does. Protektor sand bags proudly made in the US of A, I haven't found anything better. Let's not forget projectiles, primers, certain powders and lately very high quality brass. Sure I have rifles and scopes made in other countries but some things have to have Made in the USA before I will buy it!

From where I am sitting which happens to be 6500 miles from your nearest shore I feel that you Americans can still hold you head up high! When I look in my gun safes I see Cooper, Winchester, Remington and Ruger rifles. My reloading area is adorned with products made in the USA, presses, powder measures, trimmers and dies. No one makes reloading gear like the the USA does. Protektor sand bags proudly made in the US of A, I haven't found anything better. Let's not forget projectiles, primers, certain powders and lately very high quality brass. Sure I have rifles and scopes made in other countries but some things have to have Made in the USA before I will buy it!
An outside prospective is appreciated. I work for one of the largest (richest owners) in the US and I see how bad their greed is gotten over the last couple decades and I get jaded and disheartened.

I have found myself over the last couple years putting heavy emphasis on whether or not something is made in the US when making a decision to purchase something, especially firearms related. Its why I went with a versamax over an SBE 2 a few years ago. The most recent example was going with a VX6HD over an NX8 (made in Japan). I am not perfect at it and I also want something of quality and reliable. I didn't use to care and never even considered the country of origin, I am now in my late 30's and somewhere along the way it started to matter to me. Just curious if any of you out there take that into consideration when making purchases?
I refuse to buy a gun made in a country that refuses to let their citizens own firearms

I am lusting over a tripod now and have narrowed it down to a german model (i think) and an American company. They appear to have really similar specs, but the American model
Is about 500-600 bucks more. I really do want to go with the USA model, but I have a family and a budget too.

I've done the same for many years. Especially after China became favored trade status . Used to be Things made in Japan were junk. Now things made in China are junk and Japan is high end. We need to stop supporting the Red Chinese army and trade with Japan again. I own two VX6 4x24's and other Luepold's. Also have Versa Max and an 870.. All my rifles are American made except for a Tikka a Sako and a Weatherby Vanguard ( Howa action). I just visited the Weatherby Factory in Sheriden last Fri.. Very nice. Also toured GunWerks factory here in Cody. Amazing . Even back when Winchester's were being made in Japan I wouldn't buy one. Have never owned a Japanese car or motorcycle . I try to buy American when I have a choice .

As much as possible for me. Every bit is undoing the damage caused in 1972 when presidential disgrace dick Nixon gave it all away to the Chinese. Not a political comment... just stating the facts.
I thought it was started during Clinton and George H. Bush gun ho'd it ?

I hear all this talk about global competitiveness. I know it's a challenge for
manufacturers for sure. I find if you look hard enough there is an American company doing it and doing it well. So I ask how do these American companies survive and prosper in such a competitive market? Really the question is wrong. What drives these companies to take their labor overseas? My opinion corporate greed and greedy investors that want maximum profits to get maximum payouts to get maximum stock value.

things I bought that are still USA made
Leupold
Wahl hair trimmers
Cooper tires
Lane furniture

As much as possible for me. Every bit is undoing the damage caused in 1972 when presidential disgrace dick Nixon gave it all away to the Chinese. Not a political comment... just stating the facts.
Googled
In China's case, Congress agreed to permanent normal trade relations (PNTR) status in P.L. 106-286, President Clinton signed into law on October 10, 2000.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.