Lots of People like to bash brands.

@Dean2
The term road apple is not in my vocabulary, because if I am going to call someone a name I use much stronger to the point types of words. The ones I can't and won't call anyone on this forum.
Why you ask? It is because I want to believe everything on here is friendly banter.
So since you said I was whining, and because the appeal to you of this thread was the use of road apples and pony soldiers I will from now on refer to you as the peanut gallery.
Works for me. I like peanuts.

I think someone should start a thread on why do people post on threads just to bash the validity or contents of the thread itself.
Probably a bad idea,but would-be funny to see

I think someone should start a thread on why do people post on threads just to bash the validity or contents of the thread itself.
Probably a bad idea,but would-be funny to see
"if you had a poblem with an optic and sent it in for repair I'd like to see proof"
That ^^^ was all I needed if you by chance are referring to me.

I've been a part of this forum for a few years now, and noticed that there are plenty of guys that like to make it known when they don't like product.
So I'm curious if admin allows, anyone that truly had an issue with an optic, and has sent it back. Would post a copy of the work order that the manufacture gave you after they did or did not fix it.
I guess my point is if you had a poblem with an optic and sent it in for repair I'd like to see proof.
If you are running your mouth about some problem a guy you met at the range said his brother's buddy had, and you have no proof I don't need your opinion.
I had one problem on a Leupold vx2, I was counting windage clicks from one extreme to the other and felt that funny spongy feeling needless to say it was toast. Leupold repaired it free of charge! I've got a Tasco with a broken crosshair I'll gladly send you if you pay shipping. I boxed it up but it's not really worth shipping it back to me!!!

it's like anything else. You want a Leupold, go buy one.

It's all relative. Anyone who is satisfied with their track record and quality [sic] of glass, go knock yourself out. PA has happily set itself up with hunting rules that cater to the lowest common denominator, so for most people here any scope is "good enough" unless it's a heavily overcast day. Lots of guys don't even sight their stuff in, and have a pocketful of odds and ends cartridges that they roll out into the woods with. IMO, some of them would be better off with a club or pointy stick. I know one guy who thinks that if he sees deer more than 400 yards away, all it takes is to put in a "boat tail" and he'll automatically hit them, even though he's not sighted in and never practices that far. He has some "boat tails" from when he went out west 30 years ago, and he knows they're magic. He wont let me see them; must be worried I'll steal their juju or something. I just hope they are the right cartridge for the rifle he has now. But hey, he knows it all and rejects anything that others tell him.

The same thing that is said about scopes can be said about cars or gunsmiths or anything else. I once took a few guns to a guy up in the coal regions. The people I had talked to raved about the guy. When I got the rifles back, the "custom competition rifle" the guy built was a pile of dogcrap. The old school classic mauser with exhibition grade tigerstriping in the stock had been hacked and beat like he took a belt sander to it, and the scout rifle that he presented an itemized list of "work completed" actually had not even half the work truly done. Oh, you inletted and freefloated the stock? Then why is the factory paint still there in the barrel channel, you fraud? But I guess the guys who store their rifles in a leaky barn and then "shoot the rust out of the bore" once a year probably think he's the Copernicus of gunsmithery, and the leupold that he cranked into their see-through mounts makes them the final authority at deercamp. To them, the work this guy did made them so happy it brought tears to their eyes. And you can't tell them anything either.
I really take offense to your diatribe, being from Pennsylvania myself. Your statements could be applied to any state in the U.S.. I used to live in Idaho and some of the stuff that was brought to me for repair and for custom handloads was unbelievable. Blanket statements usually only cover ones own ignorance. I don't want this to turn into a running verbal battle but don't fire the opening shot if you don't want return fire. I have been handloading for more than fifty years and working on guns for more than forty years. I have shot long range benchrest for a great many years as well as doing four tours in Viet Nam with an 18B W3 MOS so I think I know how to shoot even though I'm from PA. While I somewhat agree with your statement that we don't have to dial, that's not completely true. Where I live and hunt shots out to 500 yds are possible. I usually don't respond to posts but this one went too far in my own opinion. Sorry if anyone else takes offense to this post but I needed to do it.

About PA? I was talking about relative quality and said go buy whatever the hell you want if it suits your purposes.

I also gave examples of a poorly run game commission, too many people who go into the woods during deer season but don't take it seriously enough to sight in their rifles or practice to become competent shots, and posers who lay claim to expertise because they flash a certain brand of scope or worse yet because they "do some gunsmith'n" in their basement.

The same thing happens in every state, but PA has more hunters and is more heavily populated than most Western states, so you see more examples of these problems because of the hunter density.

But I'm sure some moron will say "Yer attacking muh state!" and be bitterly offended by any of the above statements that most normal people agree with. You know what they say: if you are offended by things that nobody directed at you, it's most likely a guilty conscience.

good lord, man! you were right!

I have to admit the only scope that I considered sending for repair was a Leupold. In 2004, I was hunting with my son's Remington 03-A3 .30-06, topped with Leupold VX-I 3-9x40. I slipped on a muddy trail and dinged the bell of the scope but still managed to harvest a muley doe at 200 yards. When I got home, as I was preparing to remove it off the rifle and send for repair, my son stopped me and said, "just leave it on Dad, it adds character to it." It does not really look too bad but I have a Butler Creek scope cap on it to cover it. The same rifle/scope combination harvested many deer and antelope to date. 😇

Only scopes I have sent in for repair were Leupolds. Last one was a vx6, and that was the straw that broke the camels back. Haven't been back and life's been good ever since.

I've sent,
Burris
Vortex
Athlon
Leupold
SWFA, all in for repair. Bottom line is, all companies have faulty products slip thru. Some of the repairs were my fault, some were manufacturer defects. I've never had any of these companies tell me that my actions ruined the scope, they just fixed them and sent them back no questions, no blame, no charges including shipping. Some had left a bad taste in my mouth.
But the issues were resolved free of charge. So...
When someone bashes a company, I look at it like a Ford Chevy type of opinion/bash. Some of you are really passionate about defending and bashing a brand. Does it really matter nope!
You're going to defend your scope, and the next guy will get a faulty one. Seen it so many times...

Last edited:
I still need to put a scope on my new 6.5saum and now I'm afraid no matter what I buy it will suck and break down.

I have a ZCo 420 on my 6.5 SAUM. You should do it too. Love it, except I keep losing sight of the center floating dot in the black hole of the shot before it. - grin

Case in point. My buddy has a crap vx3i that doesn't track, he hits it with a screwdriver to make the internals move poi to site it in. It does hold a reasonable zero but it's a piece of junk, he likes Leupold and thinks nocking on a scope is perfectly normal to make it work. He shoots deer primarily 100 yards and in and there for doesn't do anything to make it preform besides hold zero. To him Leupold is great, just like most of the people using Leupold. He wouldn't give it a bad review because it doesn't preform under his expectations, but that doesn't make it a good optic. It's still a hunk of junk.
Update: he had to send it in because it quit holding zero.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.