Lots of People like to bash brands.

gusd

I've been a part of this forum for a few years now, and noticed that there are plenty of guys that like to make it known when they don't like product.
So I'm curious if admin allows, anyone that truly had an issue with an optic, and has sent it back. Would post a copy of the work order that the manufacture gave you after they did or did not fix it.
I guess my point is if you had a poblem with an optic and sent it in for repair I'd like to see proof.
If you are running your mouth about some problem a guy you met at the range said his brother's buddy had, and you have no proof I don't need your opinion.

One bad product, does not make the case for the entire product line. It just means that one person had some bad luck with it. If enough people report having problems then that Is a different story.

I think reporting it is important, but bashing the company is not necessary in my opinion. sometimes problems are caused by the owner and it is not the product company's fault, and sometimes we just get a bad product. So as stated, take those bashing's with a grain of salt until more reports of the same are reported.

Abuse, is a good way to find out how tough a product is but not a fair way to judge a product.
I take very good care of all of my equipment and rarely have problems with any good products, but the poor ones still show up and after 2 or 3 bad ones, I right them off.

I once tried a scope brand that had a full replacement guarantee and good customer service. the problem was it kept braking down frequently and always at the worst time. and after 3 replacements I decided than the product wasn't any good and have never bought another one.

J E CUSTOM

I think that there has been lots of times when an optic was blamed when indeed it was the rifle or load that was at fault. Not an optic but the Remington 700 is bashed likewise at times on this forum. People will continue to bash the 700. Im fully aware of some of the issues concerning 700s. I can attest to some issues I've had with them but I still think that out of the box in general they probably crank out about the same percentage of flawed rifles as any of the other big three manufacturers. People have regularly let me know how they will never buy another and that's their perrogative, I won't loose any sleep over it cause I've got a couple that will hang with custom rifles. Remington reworked two rifles that had been out of warranty at the time for 5 plus years without question or fee. Had a Winchester 70 many years ago that was the worst shooting rifle I ever saw, wouldn't stay on paper @ 100 yds and they reworked it to probably the best shooting factory rifle I've owned, reworked without fee or question. I don't buy factory rifles anymore but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 700 or Winchester 70.

Not sure what direction you're coming from on this, but I'll bite. The documentation of scope failures I mentioned in a different thread were:

A. Personal documentation.
Documented in notebooks that i created for each rifle i worked on. That data simply recorded group sizes (sometimes photos) at the point of suspected failure or in some cases, dramatic failure. Sometimes it showed extreme vertical stringing or double printing.
I would then test and log group info when scope was returned from repair. On post repair, i would go back to most accurate load i had at least partially developed at point of failure. Groups always improved and/or vertical stringing/double printing went away on repaired units.

No, I'm not going to spend 2 hours digging all of that info out for the purpose of this thread.

B. Leupold Repair Invoices.
I always instructed customers to contact Leupold directly about warranty repair on their optic. We found that was the best approach to getting a scope into the repair process quickly without getting into an argument with the techs at Leupold. Having said that, I personally looked at each and every invoice upon scope return to verify scope was repaired. In all but one case, the invoices have shown parts replaced usually in the erector mechanism. I always sent the paperwork home with the customers after the job was done. Should i have made photo copies? Maybe. Do i feel the need to offer proof to someone on the internet that I'm not lying? No, i really don't care at the end of the day.

I didn't keep my 3 repair/work orders from Steiner from March/April/May 2015. Sorry.
Hence the point of this thread. I want to see proof !
I don't doubt that you sent your steiner back. Just want to see what actually was wrong/fixed or not .
Until I see some actual proof I tend to believe the bashing is "something you heard from someone else"

Last edited:
I've owned a pile of rifles, optics & gear. I believe theres brands that all of us will be reluctant to try again in any of those categories. That doesn't mean that that company will never make good products again or doesn't currently make good products. It doesn't even mean the product that we had bad experience with was even at fault. But if a fellow thinks he needs to try something different, I can't hold that against him. I can't to expect everyone to have the same view point as myself.

I've had 3 major delays and 5 issues, one current, with a particular company and I don't bash because they have always made it right and the delays were on preorder products that had discounts.

I have another issue with a different company but they are fixing it, no reason to bash.

Optics Planet has screwed me on at least three orders and made no attempt to fix their problems so screw those guys. I have quit shopping there which actually has saved a bunch of money for me.

I'll give everyone several chances to get things right if they will at least try and eventually get things right so if I bash, it's because I got screwed and no effort was made to fix the problem.

Not sure what direction you're coming from on this, but I'll bite. The documentation of scope failures I mentioned in a different thread were:

A. Personal documentation.
Documented in notebooks that i created for each rifle i worked on. That data simply recorded group sizes (sometimes photos) at the point of suspected failure or in some cases, dramatic failure. Sometimes it showed extreme vertical stringing or double printing.
I would then test and log group info when scope was returned from repair. On post repair, i would go back to most accurate load i had at least partially developed at point of failure. Groups always improved and/or vertical stringing/double printing went away on repaired units.

No, I'm not going to spend 2 hours digging all of that info out for the purpose of this thread.

B. Leupold Repair Invoices.
I always instructed customers to contact Leupold directly about warranty repair on their optic. We found that was the best approach to getting a scope into the repair process quickly without getting into an argument with the techs at Leupold. Having said that, I personally looked at each and every invoice upon scope return to verify scope was repaired. In all but one case, the invoices have shown parts replaced usually in the erector mechanism. I always sent the paperwork home with the customers after the job was done. Should i have made photo copies? Maybe. Do i feel the need to offer proof to someone on the internet that I'm not lying? No, i really don't care at the end of the day.

Interesting you being one of the most vocal on slamming a brand but still no proof.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts