How many of you would like to try a Schmidt and Bender scope?

Wild Bill G

As the title says how many would like to try one of these scopes out. To make it even better with a bunch of other scopes right there to compare. I know there have been tons of these tests but how about if we were the ones actually doing the test. Do you think we would notice a huge difference or not.

We would definitely notice a difference as far as glass goes if we used Leupold VX-6, Swarovski z5, Swarovski z6, Minox ZA 5HD, Bushnell 6500, Nikon Monarch 3, Zeiss Conquest HD, and Weaver V24. The one with the best glass here is the Bushnell 6500. Some of us compared them on a military optics chart from my porch. When I had a chance to compare with a Nightforce 12-42X56 it smoked them all. I sold it because it was too heavy for the rifle I had at the time. Therefore I never compared it with a S&B.

But I did get a chance to compare the Bushnell 6500 with a S&B 12-50X. The glass in the S&B was so much better it was like comparing the Bushnell with a Tasco.

That is what I would like to be able to see a wide variety of scopes to compare. You are a lucky man Rich to have had such a oppertunatey. My only comparison has been my Swaro Z6 to my lr Leupold 6.5x20-56,Vortex and now my Veracity. In that one my Swaro is the true winner. I would call the Vortex Viper hst the loser and by a long shot. It is a dream to some day get a S&B though. Todd there is no catch I just wanted to know how many would like such a chance. Better yet how many have had the chance like Rich.

Wild Bill G, You mentioned Vortex. So far none at the range have glass as good as the Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. A friend of mine purchased four Vortex Razor HD FFP 5-20X50 (MOA) scopes. He told me I could take one outside the store and compare with the 6500. I put a sand bag on top of the pickup. After adjusting Vortex for my vision and set on 5X I pointed it at a sign several hundred yards away and found the smallest writing I could read. Then I adjusted it to get it as clear as I could. I laid the 6500 on the sandbag set at 4 1/2X. It took about one second to see the 6500 has better glass.

I took the scope into the store and told him. He checked them and said, "Hmmm. These go for about $1,100 don't they?" "I got that one last month for $785," I informed.

There was a fun revelation with the Leupold VX-6. It, the Swarovski z5, and the Bushnell 6500 were on sandbags pointed at the optics chart. They all look good. BUT compared to the VX-6 the other two looked sort of washed out. The Leupold showed the grass to be vibrant green! while the other two displayed okay color.

One more thing about the Bushnell 6500's. I purchased four of the 2 1/2-16X's just like I did the four Swarovski's. I ordered one and tried it. It wasn't what I was hoping for so either sold it or returned it and got another. As good as the glass is, none of the 2 1/2-16X have glass as good as the 4 1/2-30X. Therefore I installed a Bushnell 4200 4-16X40 on my .375 for half the cost.

How does the 4200 compare to the 6500 in price and quality. Have you ever had a chance to put the Zeiss V8 in a similar test and I wonder how it would fair next to the S&B?

The glass quality of the 4200 is just about as good as the 6500 2 1/2-16X but not as good as the 6500 4 /2-30X. I have never seen a Zeiss V8.

Recently, well after last year's deer season, I sold all my stuff that was not Bushnell because my scope fogged on the outside. Bushnell has hydrophobic lenses so they don't fog on the outside.

Maybe someone on here is using one now and could give us some info on the Zeiss V8. It seems hard to beleive a Bushnell could out do a Swaro or a Zeiss Conquest HD. Rich have you had a chance to compare these scopes on rifles in the field? That is the kind of test I would like to do.

As the title says how many would like to try one of these scopes out. To make it even better with a bunch of other scopes right there to compare. I know there have been tons of these tests but how about if we were the ones actually doing the test. Do you think we would notice a huge difference or not.
Not only compare them but mount them on your rifle and shoot with them so you could see the tracking as well. I would love to do this. Then I could go home and try to sell a kid or to so I could get one. :p

Majja you know exactly what I am talking about. We can all look through a scope at the store but to truly test it is another thing.

Majja you know exactly what I am talking about. We can all look through a scope at the store but to truly test it is another thing.
Yeap. Most of my shooting has always been in the practical shooting world, where I have come to value repeatability and reliability above all others.

It seems hard to beleive a Bushnell could out do a Swaro or a Zeiss Conquest HD. Rich have you had a chance to compare these scopes on rifles in the field? That is the kind of test I would like to do.

I had four Swarovski z5 5-25X52. I mounted the forth one because the none were not as good as the Bushnell. I was amazed. Since the z5 BT model was four ounces lighter I mounted it on my .257SLR. I used it for two season. I practiced a lot with the BT. A week before I was going on a Sheep hunt it would not return to zero. I discovered it would stay sighted in at 300 yards so I didn't mess with it. It went back for repair. The note said "Replaced the erector."

The next time I was going to Alaska and the same thing happened so I left it where it was and verified a few time it was staying put. Again the note read, "Replaced the erector."

I would really like to use one but will not use one with a BT. But it does not have hydrophobic lenses so that means I use the Bushnell. Never tried to twist the Bushnell. One good thing about it. When sighting them in, I now have four of them, they move exactly the amount dialed.

Here's a quick comparison of the Nightforce 12-42X56, Swarovski 5-25, and the 6500. I made a line chart with 1/4" lines and 1/4" spaces. It was the beginning of my intrigue with optics. At 570 yards the Night Force was still on 12X. The 6500 was on 15 1/2X and the Swarovski was on 16 1/2X.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.